Wave Hoax Tricks Gullible iPhone Users Into Microwaving Their Phones

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Considering there are people stupid enough to put their cat in a microwave oven to dry it off, I'd say it's better for them to learn those boxes shoot death rays at whatever you put inside of them by loosing a cell phone. Honestly, do schools even teach us how microwaves work and their reactions to H[sub]2[/sub]O molecules and metal particles in science classs, or did I learn about it by being curious enough to read about it? I don't care if I sound cruel, anyone who really tried this deserves their icrap going up in sparks, because they got the info from some random source on teh net and not from the official Apple website or an official description of iOS updates. Parodies and scams exist, people. If you can't judge it or research it yourself, don't even try anything you've never heard of before.

I thought this was all a hoax anyway, with the fried phone replies being people in on the joke. Maybe there is one or two people out there that did fall for it. And the sad truth is I've met people stupid enough to try things dumber than this.

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
I can't decide if this is a chilling testament to how off-the-rails our educational system is, or if its more disturbing that something as obvious as not microwaving your electronic devices is evidence of the idiocracy effect in action, and it's therefore okay to be both amused and disturbed by the fact that we have people who actually fall for this stuff.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
For anyone doing reseach or experiementing people gillibeness, this is pure gold!

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Wow, so many bloody idiots. I mean, microwave instructions flat-out tell you that putting plastic and metal in there is probably not a good idea.

VaporWare

Aug 1, 2013
The berst part about this is how plausible it seems if you know inductive charging is a thing (which folks with iPhones probably do) but don't know how it works (which most folks don't, because consumers aren't required to be technically educated).

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Absolutionis said:
Why are people saying these people deserve what happens to their phone if they microwave it? That's disgusting that people would victim-blame like this. They're just perpetuating troll-culture.
No.

There must be a line drawn somewhere, a line we call "common sense", by which we stand and say "do something which falls beyond this line, and you will deserve all scorn and mockery which falls upon you, and you will be given no sympathy". Elsewise I will be expected to feel sorry for the grown man who throws a rock at a hornet's nest "just to see what happens", and at that point humanity will deserve extinction.

Stupid people- those who can think but choose not to- must be made to suffer for their stupidity, for that is the only way they will stop being stupid. And while the stupid things they do that only harm themselves may be amusing, they also have the bad habit of harming others as well.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
TheRundownRabbit said:
SacremPyrobolum said:
Oh wait...

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/2014-ebola-outbreak#conspiracy_hoax
What the...what???

Ok, someone has to explain THIS ONE to me
/a made an anime charter for the ebola outbreak... because internet.

/b proceed to make up stories about how how ebola was created by white people in order to cull undesirables.

a Nigerian forum then proceeded to say it was a Euro/American raciest death cult preforming witchaft, eating the hearts of victims, worshiping a goddes of death, and not paying parking tickets.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Social Darwinism... It's a thing guys, please let it do its' job. I mean anyone who thinks that an os update could change the laws of physics kinnda needs to get smarter. Just consider this a learning opportunity!

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
SonOfVoorhees said:
Smart phone, stupid people. Seriously, who would stick something in a microwave and not expect it to be cooked?
Pretty much this, by the Emperor those people must be thick...

I swear I'm a good person but I can't feel a thing for anyone so dumb to do this and not expect your shiny new phone to be utterly ruined.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
I have a distinct feeling that this has happened before, even under different circumstances.

But why is it that there are STILL people out there that don't know better than to microwave an iPhone?

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Baffle said:
Surprised by the number of people who think it's fine that people fall for a stupid hoax and screw themselves out a a few hundred quid. Glad everyone here is so clever. If you strain your brains really hard you might do something useful like cure cancer, or maybe work out why the thing you're looking for is in the last place you look. Or shit your pants. Could go either way. Best pack a spare pair, just in case.
Sounds like someone microwaved their phone. Did you?

There is no reason to give sympathy to these people.

Phil the Nervous

Jun 1, 2014
Baffle said:
Surprised by the number of people who think it's fine that people fall for a stupid hoax and screw themselves out a a few hundred quid. Glad everyone here is so clever. If you strain your brains really hard you might do something useful like cure cancer, or maybe work out why the thing you're looking for is in the last place you look. Or shit your pants. Could go either way. Best pack a spare pair, just in case.
Lose your phone recently?

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Baffle said:
Phil the Nervous said:
Baffle said:
Lose your phone recently?
Eri said:
Baffle said:
Sounds like someone microwaved their phone. Did you?

There is no reason to give sympathy to these people.
Predictable and boring responses incoming. No, haven't bought a phone in two years and still pretty happy with what I have. Just don't think much of people who revel in the misery of others, just find it a bit sad.
Reveling is not the same as giving no sympathy. You're supremely naive if you don't think some people deserve to have certain things happen to them.