Wave Hoax Tricks Gullible iPhone Users Into Microwaving Their Phones

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Aeshi said:
So what I'm learning from this thread and its replies is that it's perfectly ok for other people to suffer if said people are "inferior"
So are you saying that blatant stupidity shouldn't be punished? The people who did this are why everything has a disclaimer nowadays.

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
Apple have been trying to make their devices idiot-proof. As a result we have idiots who will microwave their phones when instructed.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Genocidicles said:
Aeshi said:
So what I'm learning from this thread and its replies is that it's perfectly ok for other people to suffer if said people are "inferior"
So are you saying that blatant stupidity shouldn't be punished? The people who did this are why everything has a disclaimer nowadays.
By that argument prehaps doctors should start prescribing Arsenic pills (because hey, anyone who doesn't read the side-effects/ingredients list is stupid and deserves it right?)

And your "punishing stupidity" rallying cry might have a bit more weight if it weren't for all the people going "I know people who use other brands fall for this as well, but it's funnier when it happens to people who use this one specific brand because I don't like them." (case in point, the person above you)

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Okay, to all of you who ACTUALLY microwaved your phone... I've only got one thing to say:

That's like... not just stupidity, but an IMPRESSIVE amount of stupidity.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Holy hell, I haven't laughed this hard in a long time. Who the hell falls for something like "contains new drivers that interface with your device's radio-baseband that allows it to synchronize with microwave frequencies and use them to recharge your battery."

That sentence alone contains more buzzwords than actual words. And while the internet proves that buzzwords are all you need to convince someone to eat up every word you say so they feel smart, I still can't believe that people fall for this shit.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
Aeshi said:
Yeah, apparently. I get the feeling I'm surrounded by a lot of psychopaths sometimes.

This was a cruel hoax, something done to hurt others for no reason. Regardless of how gullible one had to be for it. Or young (kids can have or grab their parents iPhone y'know?). Or even special needs.

Screw those people, right? They're inferior. Preying on them is how you get joy outta life!

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Smart phone, stupid people. Seriously, who would stick something in a microwave and not expect it to be cooked?

Mar 5, 2011
Here is the thread from 4chan. Same people that told people iOS 7 was water proof. http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/832/854/abb.png

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
Jumwa said:
Aeshi said:
Yeah, apparently. I get the feeling I'm surrounded by a lot of psychopaths sometimes.

This was a cruel hoax, something done to hurt others for no reason. Regardless of how gullible one had to be for it. Or young (kids can have or grab their parents iPhone y'know?). Or even special needs.

Screw those people, right? They're inferior. Preying on them is how you get joy outta life!
It wasn't a hoax. that's the thing.

If 4chan posted a video showing a drained iPhone 6, putting it in a microwave, and pulling it out fully charge I'd be inclined to be somewhat on your side.

But these people are the same that think articles from The Onion are real. These people aren't "special needs" or any other form of handicapped. Just gullible and honestly not that bright. The sad thing is that there are more and more of these types of people in the world and it's really kind of scary.

So yeah, if you are able to purchase a $5-600 phone and are gullible enough to put it in a microwave, I'm afraid you get some of the ridicule you deserve..

Alcaste

Mar 2, 2011
It's okay! Say it was an accident and you're covered by Applecare+!

Grumble grumble.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Goddammit I want to be the sympathetic, 'oh how cruel a hoax' type. But really, I'm assuming if you have a fucking iphone, you went to school. YOU HAVE TO KNOW BETTER.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
There's Darwinism, Social Darwinism, Political Darwinism, and now I guess we can add Technological Darwinism to the list as well.

Seriously, if you're so moronically dumb that you'd not hesitate to slap your phone in the microwave for a bit then you do indeed deserve to have your phone utterly destroyed. The best part: Apple doesn't owe these simpletons a damn thing! No refund, no new phone, the best they can hope for is a new warning label on the phone's box: "Attention Jackasses: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO MICROWAVE YOUR PHONE!"

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
People tricked iPhone users that their phone was waterproof. Samsung make Galaxy waterproof.

People trick iPhone users they can charge their phone with a microwave...

Galaxy 6 will be microwave chargable?

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
So... some people were wanting to use the microwave to charge their phone instead of using a charge cable?
Aeshi said:
If by "inferior" you mean "moronic enough to microwave their phone" and by "suffer" you mean "getting their phone destroyed", then yes.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Because a software update will change the physical characteristics of the device...suuuuure.

While I would normally find this extremely funny, I can't help but feel like yelling "Leave the stupid people alone! They don't know any better!" Which is...odd for me.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
Makabriel said:
It wasn't a hoax. that's the thing.

If 4chan posted a video showing a drained iPhone 6, putting it in a microwave, and pulling it out fully charge I'd be inclined to be somewhat on your side.

But these people are the same that think articles from The Onion are real. These people aren't "special needs" or any other form of handicapped. Just gullible and honestly not that bright. The sad thing is that there are more and more of these types of people in the world and it's really kind of scary.

So yeah, if you are able to purchase a $5-600 phone and are gullible enough to put it in a microwave, I'm afraid you get some of the ridicule you deserve..
Whatever makes you feel better about sucking more empathy from the world and leaving it crueler and less caring.

Funyahns

Sep 2, 2012
Aeshi said:
Genocidicles said:
Aeshi said:
By that argument prehaps doctors should start prescribing Arsenic pills (because hey, anyone who doesn't read the side-effects/ingredients list is stupid and deserves it right?)

And your "punishing stupidity" rallying cry might have a bit more weight if it weren't for all the people going "I know people who use other brands fall for this as well, but it's funnier when it happens to people who use this one specific brand because I don't like them." (case in point, the person above you)
Whenever I get a prescription I look it up and check out what it does and all the side effects. If I think that is carries to much risk to liver or stomach then I won't take it. It is really simple don't believe everything you read, look things up before you try them. People constantly post stupid sayings and statistics which turn out to be totally bunk. Or publish false stories and then outraged by them. Hell I had a friend post a Pro Gun story about a girl defending her home with a shot gun. Which would be great, but it was totally bunk. Hey but these people who were dumb enough to do this may think twice next time before they just believe something.