Way Cooler Than Hopscotch: Mario on the Sidewalk

Stilt-Man

Dec 31, 2009
Saw a Zelda one yesterday. I don't know if it's the same guy, or method, or what; but it's very similar.

commasplice

Dec 24, 2009
Stilt-Man said:
What makes it believable, I think, is the fact that, as the camera moves, the "game" doesn't. It appears to stay glued to the ground, and the perspective changes with the camera angle. This actually kind of works backwards, too, though. The thing I was wondering during the video in the OP is how a single projector could display all of that without moving. You don't see the "game" jiggling around as projector is slid along the sidewalk, so that leaves one to assume that it must have been stationary the whole time. That's impossible, though. The only other explanation (assuming the video is, in fact, real) is that the film was stopped, the projector was moved, and then the film was started again. I didn't see any evidence of that, personally...

Edit: Oh, and then there's the fact that it was all laid out at once. How many of you have played Mario or Zelda and seen more than just your immediate surroundings, all at the same time? I have not.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
commasplice said:
Stilt-Man said:
Also snip.
Yeah, that was what I thought as well. The game was showing the entire areas, with the movement of the bad guys and all. I don't think there's any way to do that other than hacking the ROM (or possibly recreating the entire game from the ground up). And the only way the projector could have been stationary all along was if it was covering a huge area, had ridiculous definition, and managed to stay completely still and not tilt a bit (since in that situation a small tilt in the projector would probably send the image into a different zip code) and that doesn't accound for the 'shade' the cameraman would cast over the image, since there's no way he would be further from the image than the projector and he would eventually be directly in front of it.

Despite that, if it was made with markers, the way the camera zoomed along perfectly with Mario's movement is an achievement at least. You can't even say he just walked along at a regular pace since he stops for the levels to load, catches Mario as he uses warps, etc. No matter the trick, it's pretty well done (and the entire game, to boot).

Zombus

Apr 29, 2009
It looks very pretty but it failed to hold my attention for very long. I stopped watching after the warpzone.

skitzo van

Mar 20, 2009
Now they just need to hire the guy who watches the game and plays accordingly with his violin...

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Stilt-Man said:
Saw a Zelda one yesterday. I don't know if it's the same guy, or method, or what; but it's very similar.

that one looks too much like it was entirely made in a computer, it doesn't have the real camera movements and environmental effects of the mario one. Still interesting though.

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
sammi43055 said:
I liked the video, but it would be nice to see people try other games instead of using Mario all of the time.
Well Mario 1 is simple, and very straight forward (as in from left to right)

Megaman, Metroid and those games have a lot more ups and downs and lefts and rights and rights and lefts and... as in not linear levels.

although Mario 3 could work

videocrazy

Dec 17, 2009
Hey. Admittedly, I don't exactly know this game like the back of my hand, but how come he was able to jump after touching lava, in 8-4?