WayForward wants to make an MLP game

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
As the title may imply, this thread is about the possibility of a game based on My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. I would very much like to avoid the thread devolving into a flame war. To all militant bronies and pony haters, please try to avoid non-constructive bickering. You're not going to convince the other to stop their pony loving/hating ways, so don't even try. Thank you and have a nice day.
In a recent Q&A on Reddit, game developer WayForward (the team behind the DuckTales remake [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6d1A2row6I] and the critically acclaimed Shantae [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero] series among others) went on record saying they'd like to make a game based on My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, calling on fans of the show to e-mail Hasbro to show their support.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/09/game-developer-wayforward-wants-to-do.html

To be perfectly honest, I don't think I've ever played a game by WayForward. Still, it appears they're definitely a talented lot, particularly when it comes to platformers. Given that the only official FiM game right now is a shitty FarmVille inspired title with grinding and micro-transactions out the wazoo [http://www.gameloft.com/my-little-pony], I'd definitely say there's a market out there. Hasbro must certainly know that many bronies have been clamoring for such games, what with them shutting down certain high profile [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/02/09/hasbro-shuts-down-unlicensed-my-little-pony-fighting-game.aspx] fan games. [http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/12/bronies-shut-down-their-my-little-pony-mmo-blaming-copyright-law/] I know I'd buy a quality MLP platformer if offered to me.

What are your thoughts? Excited? Nervous? Nervous-cited?

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Fuck yeah. It'd be cool if Hasbro went along with this. You get sick of the low grade flash games after awhile.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Well, since I like WayForward's work, I'd rather they were working on something I gave a fuck about, but at least anyone that likes MLP should get a good game out of it, if it goes ahead.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Speaking as someone who knows way more about Wayforward than I do about MLP, I guess I can come at this from another angle. Wayforward started as a company that made cheap cartoon and other property tie in games, the, amongst those works were the adventure time games that were kind of below average but still better than most cheap cash-in games. They also made a batman cartoon game and did a contra port I believe, basically these guys do truckloads of license tie in games.

As far as I know, their only original series anybody would recognize were the Shantae games, with one game on the Gameboy Advance, and another on the DS digital shop, there is a third one being made for 3DS as well as a kick starter going on to make a fourth game as a reboot on the Pc, xbox, xbox one, and PS3 and 4. This was a fun little above average platformer series, it also seems to be wayforward's new niche. With the Boy and his Blob game, as well the recent Ducktales remake, the company seems to have found a niche they excel at, platform games.

What does this mean if they make an MLP game? Considering that their recent success has been from their platformers, anything they make will probably be a side-scrolling platformer, and judging by the ducktales game, and the Shantae kickstarter trailer, they've definately got cartoony sprite models looking pretty damn good. This is what any MLP game made by them will probably look like: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero (watch the trailer to get a good idea what their art looks like in motion.

Jul 10, 2013
I say, let them.
I'm not a massive MLP fan, but I'd like to see one come to life.
Trouble is, what kind of game would it be? Platformer? Puzzle game?
...and FPS made around the part where Pinkie used Twilight as a gattling gun?

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
Pretty much the last thing licensed they did was the adventure time game. Now take into a account they were making a budget game and were given like no money to make it, it turned out good. So ya give them the license and a little cash and they'll make something good.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
EternallyBored said:
Speaking as someone who knows way more about Wayforward than I do about MLP, I guess I can come at this from another angle. Wayforward started as a company that made cheap cartoon and other property tie in games, the, amongst those works were the adventure time games that were kind of below average but still better than most cheap cash-in games. They also made a batman cartoon game and did a contra port I believe, basically these guys do truckloads of license tie in games.

As far as I know, their only original series anybody would recognize were the Shantae games, with one game on the Gameboy Advance, and another on the DS digital shop, there is a third one being made for 3DS as well as a kick starter going on to make a fourth game as a reboot on the Pc, xbox, xbox one, and PS3 and 4. This was a fun little above average platformer series, it also seems to be wayforward's new niche. With the Boy and his Blob game, as well the recent Ducktales remake, the company seems to have found a niche they excel at, platform games.

What does this mean if they make an MLP game? Considering that their recent success has been from their platformers, anything they make will probably be a side-scrolling platformer, and judging by the ducktales game, and the Shantae kickstarter trailer, they've definately got cartoony sprite models looking pretty damn good. This is what any MLP game made by them will probably look like: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero (watch the trailer to get a good idea what their art looks like in motion.
Well, I don't give a damn about MLP, but this Shantae game looks pretty good. The girls are cute too, might keep an eye on that one.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
That would be good, but I'd also love if they made a Transformers game seeing as how High Moon pretty much promised two decent TF games but they ended up falling flat.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Nah, they should hand it over to Dennaton Games, and hire David Lynch as a creative consultant. MLP is in need of a gritty reboot.

TheRussian

May 8, 2011
Fox12 said:
-snip- MLP is in need of a gritty reboot.
But... but... Generation 4 is a gritty reboot!

On the subject, I'm fairly interested, though I don't really know anything about this company.
If anyone would like to discuss what they could bring to MLP in terms of gameplay beyond what seems like a fairly generic platformer I'd really appreciate it.

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
VanQ said:
EternallyBored said:

Well, I don't give a damn about MLP, but this Shantae game looks pretty good. The girls are cute too, might keep an eye on that one.
Might also wanna keep a look out for their Mighty Series of games, they are pretty fun as well.

Also since it's Wayfoward I will play anything they throw in my face, because they at least do things different enough to check out (I still love Might Switch Force :D). And seeing how I played most of their work (I think I'm going to skip the new Adventure Time game they are making cause Gauntlet style games aren't my thing...still wanna try it though) I will try this, even though I'm not in the MLP wagon that much anymore...Oh snap if Vita TV comes out I could buy Mighty Flip Force and play on the TV o_o.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Wayforward does awesome 2d art but I'm not sure they would be the best choice for an MLP game. Really the only kind of games they make are platformers and I don't see that being the best choice of game type for ponies. I'm not really sure what the best type of game for ponies would be though, I just know that Double Fine would be able to figure it out.

SilkySkyKitten

Oct 20, 2009
EternallyBored said:
... They also made a batman cartoon game and did a contra port I believe, basically these guys do truckloads of license tie in games.

As far as I know, their only original series anybody would recognize were the Shantae games, with one game on the Gameboy Advance, and another on the DS digital shop, there is a third one being made for 3DS as well as a kick starter going on to make a fourth game as a reboot on the Pc, xbox, xbox one, and PS3 and 4. ...
Sorry to kinda be "That guy who nitpicks everything", but I need to correct you on a few little things. 1: WayForward didn't make a port of Contra, they made an entirely new Contra game in the form of Contra 4 for the original DS. And 2: there never was a Shantae game for the GBA. The first Shantae game was released for the Game Boy Color and a sequel never saw the light of day until about 9 years later. Granted, yes, the first game was released almost a year after the GBA was released (thus one of the reasons it kinda flopped and ended up firmly in forgotten classic territory), but it wasn't a GBA game.

Anyway, OT: I'd be quite happy to see them do this, actually. I haven't played many of WayForward's games (I only recently got to play Shantae: Risky's Revenge, which has been fantastic so far), but they seem to have a pretty good reputation for making licensed games that are actually pretty good and don't totally feel like crappy cash-ins. So if anyone deserves to be given the helm of an MLP:FiM game I'd say it's them.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Fox12 said:
Nah, they should hand it over to Dennaton Games, and hire David Lynch as a creative consultant. MLP is in need of a gritty reboot.
Arguably the only way I'm going to play it: hire David Lynch in some capacity.
Did you ever see his PS2 commercials, by the way?

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
The number of reasons this makes me excited won't fit on two hands! From a marketing standpoint, the demographic is perfect. I imagine it'd be hard to run into a fan who didn't play video games. Besides, Wayforward is a sturdy developer. Just looking at the games they've made, it doesn't seem like they'd half-ass it. If I'd trust a tie-in game brand with anybody, it'd be them. Especially dis one.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Huh, well that sounds cool.
I've never played any of WayForward's work but from what I hear they're pretty good, I'll give this a shot.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Fox12 said:
You mean like one that takes place in a society with an oppressive racial caste system ruled by a tyrannical god-empress?
That would be so different from Friendship is Magic.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I'd actually like to see this game fleshed out:
http://www.hubworld.com/my-little-pony/shows/friendship-is-magic/games/mlpfim-adventure-ponies

It's kind of fun, in a simple sort of way, and the 'powers' make sense.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Souplex said:
Fox12 said:
You mean like one that takes place in a society with an oppressive racial caste system ruled by an oppressive god-empress?
That would be so different from Friendship is Magic.
I see what you did there.

Wouldn't mind a game where you played as a changeling infiltrator, though.