Ways that Oblivion is superior to Skyrim

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
I have found Skyrim to be a step down from Oblivion in a few ways:

- No athletics or acrobatics. Really, I want to run faster and jump further as I progress in the game.

- The character creator is worse than the one in Oblivion (which was pretty bad too)

- The UI is ugly compared to the one in Oblivion. It looks like it just has a white/gray frame.

- The UI was designed for looks (that's a failed attempt) rather than functionality. You can't sort your inventory, you can't view your character when equipping stuff.

- Oblivion performs better at it's worst than Skyrim does at it's worst, both compared on the PS3.

Well, there are a few and I know there are more because I have read about them on the Bethesda forums. What say you?

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
For me, its the fact that I enjoyed Oblivion wholeheartedly.
Skyrim......I did not.

Thats my argument over with I guess, just need to sit back now and wait for the "your gay" responses to come flying at me again.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
wooty said:
Skyrim......I did not.

Thats my argument over with I guess, just need to sit back now and wait for the "your gay" responses to come flying at me again.
People still do that? -_-

I don't know, and probably never will. By the time I get it, I'll have a billion problem-fixing mods to scan.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Kahunaburger said:
Number of dragons in Oblivion: 0
Number of dragons in Skyrim: infinity
I don't care and I have never cared about the inclusion of dragons. They're pretty weak anyway but let's be clear that dragons could be replaced with any other creature not present in previous TES games and I would have cared the same, none. To be even clearer, a rat is a wolf is a lion to me and a dragon is a giant is a mammoth to me. High level enemies and low level enemies are the only two types I see.

That everyone was so hyped that there were dragons in this game, I just never understood.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
Shivering Isles is all I can come up with as as my characters play much better in skyrim.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Crono1973 said:
let's be clear that dragons could be replaced with any other creature not present in previous TES games and I would have cared the same, none.
In their tongue he is Movakiin, Mudcrab-born!

I dunno, man, doesn't sound quite the same.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
wooty said:
Skyrim......I did not.

True that, I quit Skyrim to wait for a patch because of the performance on the PS3. The sad thing is that I went straight back to Oblivion and am enjoying it more.

Drizzitdude

Nov 12, 2009
I enjoyeed skyrim immensly. While some of the menu options make it ahassle. I would like to sory my items thank you) I think the game overall experience was muc greater.

Also isnt there something under one of the skill trees that makes u run faster. I can't quite recall but I think its somewhere in the theif.

While I agree the menus need refining I have to say the game was absolutely stunning. the combat was so much more fluid it was insane and I found myself shield bashing my way to victory more times than I can count (much betetr than having to rely on some 10% chance crap like in oblivion)

Spells are also greatly developed. While not as Overpowered as melee is when u are at end game I love how diverse the spell system is rather thn oblvions method of shooting different colored orbs everywhere.

Dragons. Nuff said.

Also I found the character creator to be nice and actually functions alot better than in oblivion. I also enjoy the new character models for each race. orcs look orcish now, elves seem less punchable and khajit look fantastic and argonians are still annoying as hell. Just the way the world was meant to be.

For the few negatives I have about skyrim I have to say that the positives outweigh it by a truly insane amount.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Kahunaburger said:
Crono1973 said:
let's be clear that dragons could be replaced with any other creature not present in previous TES games and I would have cared the same, none.
In their tongue he is Movakiin, Mudcrab-born!

I dunno, man, doesn't sound quite the same.
Sounding better doesn't make a better game or a better protagonist/antagonist.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
The UI is slightly better in Oblivion, you can actually sort through items without it getting irritating, which is more than I could say for the PC UI of Skyrim. Aside from that, I can't really think of anything I liked better in Oblivion.

Seriously, I really, really disliked Oblivion and while Skyrim is far from perfect, I actually enjoy playing it.

Lucyfer86

Jun 30, 2011
Let's see, Skyrim is great game, Oblivion is not.

-No more skill picking at the start before you know what are useful for you playstyle.

-No more monsters leveling with you.

-Better, tho more crude looking, UI.

-No pointless skills like athletics or acrobatics.

-No more boring green forest all over the map.

-Actually more interesting main story line.

-Dragons!

....So wait, there arent any ways that Oblivion is superior. Oh well.

i7omahawki

Mar 22, 2010
Crono1973 said:
Kahunaburger said:
I don't care and I have never cared about the inclusion of dragons. They're pretty weak anyway but let's be clear that dragons could be replaced with any other creature not present in previous TES games and I would have cared the same, none. To be even clearer, a rat is a wolf is a lion to me and a dragon is a giant is a mammoth to me. High level enemies and low level enemies are the only two types I see.

That everyone was so hyped that there were dragons in this game, I just never understood.
It shoots fire out its face as it flies in the air growling and taking out villagers?

Sorry, but it sounds like you're busy masturbating over stats rather than looking at the in-game action experience.

The fights are incredibly well done for something that isn't completely scripted, hell, even for something that is scripted. Point is: It really feels like you're fighting a dragon. That's something most people dreamed about as kids, for hundreds of years worth of generations. Name a game that does dragon fights better and I'll play it. 'High level' doesn't come close to capturing it for me.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
lacktheknack said:
wooty said:
Skyrim......I did not.

People still do that? -_-
Unfortunately they do, had a few people on other sites message me with that witty remark. Not even going to go near what they said on YouTube, but I think you can guess.

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
i7omahawki said:
Crono1973 said:
Kahunaburger said:

It shoots fire out its face as it flies in the air growling and taking out villagers?

Sorry, but it sounds like you're busy masturbating over stats rather than looking at the in-game action experience.

The fights are incredibly well done for something that isn't completely scripted, hell, even for something that is scripted. Point is: It really feels like you're fighting a dragon. That's something most people dreamed about as kids, for hundreds of years worth of generations. Name a game that does dragon fights better and I'll play it. 'High level' doesn't come close to capturing it for me.
This. Nobody ever bought a game because they wanted the highest stats, or they thought I'm going to kill HIGH LEVEL THINGS, it's going to be awesome. If you might as well be killing rats as dragons, you might as well be playing literally any other game.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Also isnt there something under one of the skill trees that makes u run faster. I can't quite recall but I think its somewhere in the theif.
I was afraid that the perks were going to replace the natural skill building. That is not a positive to me.

While I agree the menus need refining I have to say the game was absolutely stunning. the combat was so much more fluid it was insane and I found myself shield bashing my way to victory more times than I can count (much betetr than having to rely on some 10% chance crap like in oblivion)
When the game wasn't lagging, maybe the combat was more fluid. To be honest though, I didn't think the combat was that much different from Oblivion. You hit X, you swing your sword and you hit something. Am I missing something?

Spells are also greatly developed. While not as Overpowered as melee is when u are at end game I love how diverse the spell system is rather thn oblvions method of shooting different colored orbs everywhere.
I have read that there are very few spells to be had.

Dragons. Nuff said.
Oh boy a different enemy avatar! Could be a cliff racer for all I care.

Also I found the character creator to be nice and actually functions alot better than in oblivion.
Just a bunch of presets. Most of which suck.

For the few negatives I have about skyrim I have to say that the positives outweigh it by a truly insane amount.
I hope it will grow on me but as of now, I can't agree.

Discon

Sep 14, 2009
I haven't played Skyrim yet, but the fact that you learn fragments of the dragons' language and use them to form words that have magical effects is what attracts me to the whole dragon aspect.

I'm reading the Inheritance Cycle book series, which had a shitty first book, but is getting better now. In that universe, magic is done by "tapping" into the flow of magic, and saying the words from the Ancient Language, that equate to the change you wish to happen. I guess Skyrim's dragon language kind of reminds me of this book series.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Oblivion had a few things I wish Skyrim did - mainly in the interface department. I shan't go into detail as gamasutra has already run a few articles detailing Skyrim's interface failings.

Mostly, though, Skyrim is quite superior to its older brother.

Mrrrgggrlllrrrg

Jun 21, 2010
I never really liked Athletics or Acrobatics as a skill, too passive with very little to no impact on the gameplay and I'm guessing thats why it was removed.

The creator for Skyrim is bounds better than oblivions, fairly neutral lighting, more options, characters have better aesthetic than oblivion.

The UI in my experience is easier to traverse in Skyrim with a pleasing aesthetic, the inventory is sorted alphabetically, as well items have a model you can stare it in their glory in the inventory screen.

To each their own though but on a purely technical level Skyrim is a different beast all together than Oblivion or Morrowind.