Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
i7omahawki said:
Crono1973 said:
Kahunaburger said:
Number of dragons in Oblivion: 0
Number of dragons in Skyrim: infinity
I don't care and I have never cared about the inclusion of dragons. They're pretty weak anyway but let's be clear that dragons could be replaced with any other creature not present in previous TES games and I would have cared the same, none. To be even clearer, a rat is a wolf is a lion to me and a dragon is a giant is a mammoth to me. High level enemies and low level enemies are the only two types I see.

That everyone was so hyped that there were dragons in this game, I just never understood.
It shoots fire out its face as it flies in the air growling and taking out villagers?

Sorry, but it sounds like you're busy masturbating over stats rather than looking at the in-game action experience.

The fights are incredibly well done for something that isn't completely scripted, hell, even for something that is scripted. Point is: It really feels like you're fighting a dragon. That's something most people dreamed about as kids, for hundreds of years worth of generations. Name a game that does dragon fights better and I'll play it. 'High level' doesn't come close to capturing it for me.
I am glad you enjoy fighting the dragons in this game. I enjoy it too, just as much as I enjoy slashing a wolf and it flies a few feet. Nothing special about that dragon avatar.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Crono1973 said:
I have found Skyrim to be a step down from Oblivion in a few ways:

- No athletics or acrobatics. Really, I want to run faster and jump further as I progress in the game.

- The character creator is worse than the one in Oblivion (which was pretty bad too)

- The UI is ugly compared to the one in Oblivion. It looks like it just has a white/gray frame.

- The UI was designed for looks (that's a failed attempt) rather than functionality. You can't sort your inventory, you can't view your character when equipping stuff.

- Oblivion performs better at it's worst than Skyrim does at it's worst, both compared on the PS3.

Well, there are a few and I know there are more because I have read about them on the Bethesda forums. What say you?
Im kina neutral about athletics and acrobatics skills tbh, although i see where your coming from

character creater is worse? You fucking high? its actually quite good imo

UI looks rather good imo but no doubt that Oblivion performs alot better

Oblivion performing better? Yh i agree, this is a problem i have with games, especially on the PC. new games on they're lowest settings look worse and perform worse than old games on higher settings

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Eh, I don't actually agree with any of those points at all. The one about performance issues on the PS3 might be true enough, but I have it on the 360 and have had no issues, so I wouldn't know.

Now... ways in which Oblivion is better than Skyrim...

Hm...

Oh! I thought the ending of the Dark Brotherhood storyline was a little weaker than in Oblivion. That's all I can come up with as of right now, but I'm sure I'll find more issues. I am only about 50 hours in, after all.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Personaly I find Syrims UI waaay better, prehaps thats because im on the 360 like all the c00l people.

also
Kahunaburger said:

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Seventh Actuality said:
i7omahawki said:
Crono1973 said:
Kahunaburger said:
I don't care and I have never cared about the inclusion of dragons. They're pretty weak anyway but let's be clear that dragons could be replaced with any other creature not present in previous TES games and I would have cared the same, none. To be even clearer, a rat is a wolf is a lion to me and a dragon is a giant is a mammoth to me. High level enemies and low level enemies are the only two types I see.

That everyone was so hyped that there were dragons in this game, I just never understood.
It shoots fire out its face as it flies in the air growling and taking out villagers?

Sorry, but it sounds like you're busy masturbating over stats rather than looking at the in-game action experience.

The fights are incredibly well done for something that isn't completely scripted, hell, even for something that is scripted. Point is: It really feels like you're fighting a dragon. That's something most people dreamed about as kids, for hundreds of years worth of generations. Name a game that does dragon fights better and I'll play it. 'High level' doesn't come close to capturing it for me.
This. Nobody ever bought a game because they wanted the highest stats, or they thought I'm going to kill HIGH LEVEL THINGS, it's going to be awesome. If you might as well be killing rats as dragons, you might as well be playing literally any other game.
I am, I am playing Oblivion where the interface is more than a black box and where I can increase my running speed as I play. I can sort my inventory and when I level up I can change more than one attribute.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
Fair points, EXCEPT for athletics & acrobatics, those broke oblivion(like Morrowind) so bad.

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
Crono1973 said:
I have found Skyrim to be a step down from Oblivion in a few ways:

- No athletics or acrobatics. Really, I want to run faster and jump further as I progress in the game.
Not disappointed by this one at all. In fact, it was a very welcome change, I felt like both those skills broke the game. You shouldn't be able to level up by walking and bunny hopping, and turning into frigging superman killed it for me. Plus, it threw the whole balance off when you DID level up in that all the weight would fall on these two skills; you'd still be stuck with novice-level combat, destruction, and armor and get your ass kicked by the monsters as they level up with you. Honestly, I don't miss it, and I'm glad that the level and combat designers were able to work with consistent numbers on the jumping and movement speeds for a change.

- The character creator is worse than the one in Oblivion (which was pretty bad too)
Not sure I buy that, but okay.

- The UI is ugly compared to the one in Oblivion. It looks like it just has a white/gray frame.

- The UI was designed for looks (that's a failed attempt) rather than functionality. You can't sort your inventory, you can't view your character when equipping stuff.
Don't care about the latter two much, they haven't slowed me down. Otherwise I agree that it's a clunky piece of shit, but for a lot of different reasons. Lack of a decent status screen pisses me off, lack of mouse-based controls, lack of a reliable "back" button...

- Oblivion performs better at it's worst than Skyrim does at it's worst, both compared on the PS3.
Probably. Being that Oblivion looks about eighty times worse, I'd imagine it runs better.

MadPetOwner

Jun 19, 2010
The leveling system in general. Oblivion had system that, in ways, resembeled something from a fantasy roleplaying game like DnD. Skyrims leveling system is just boring.

And the map. God, the map is just awful! It is useless in every single way. In Oblivion you could at least see where the roads where located.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
i hated them because if i had them as major i levelled to fast. if i didnt, i was shit with them.

i think its better but thats because i just change hair, eyes, race and now warpaint.

in Oblivion the UI was good. now it feels more streamlined, especially the skills part.

i never sorted my inventory, and i never looked at the character model. and seriously, you can't organise your inventory? thats the sort of complaint i'd expect from Mr Monk.

it seems to run the same for me on XBox.
Lucyfer86 said:
Let's see, Skyrim is great game, Oblivion is not.

-No more skill picking at the start before you know what are useful for you playstyle.

-No more monsters leveling with you.

-Better, tho more crude looking, UI.

-No pointless skills like athletics or acrobatics.

-No more boring green forest all over the map.

-Actually more interesting main story line.

-Dragons!

....So wait, there arent any ways that Oblivion is superior. Oh well.
monsters don't level with me any more? fecking great, i hated that. plus the rest of that stuff.

Joseph Harrison

Apr 5, 2010
Hey I saw this exact same topic when Oblivion came out except it was how Morrowind was superior to Oblivion. Talk about an unpleasable fanbase

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
kebab4you said:
Fair points, EXCEPT for athletics & acrobatics, those broke oblivion(like Morrowind) so bad.
They break Oblivion if you choose them as Major Skills. If they are minor skills, they are fantastic.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Joseph Harrison said:
Hey I saw this exact same topic when Oblivion came out except it was how Morrowind was superior to Oblivion. Talk about an unpleasable fanbase
Well, Oblivion was dumbed down compared to Morrowind and the same is true here.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Joseph Harrison said:
That's probably because Morrowind was superior to Oblivion :)

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Wait, hold up a minute. Skyrim's UI is worse than Oblivion? How is that even possible? Well, a decent UI mod will be the first thing I source for Skyrim when I buy it in three years.

Kakashi on crack

Aug 5, 2009
I think you botched the title Switch the words around or replace oblivion with morrowind and it'll be correct ;)

Also most of your arguments were over little quarks, not the game itself

Debatra

Kaedanis Pyran
Sep 6, 2008
Kahunaburger said:
Crono1973 said:
let's be clear that dragons could be replaced with any other creature not present in previous TES games and I would have cared the same, none.
In their tongue he is Movahkiin, Mudcrab-born!

I dunno, man, doesn't sound quite the same.
Are you kidding? That would be awesome! Modders, ASSEMBLE!

OT: Oblivion let you cast spells without making you equip it to a hand, ergo Blocking wasn't useless.

Acrobatics and Athletics shouldn't be skills in the same vein as Destruction or Sneak, but they should still be there in the name of making movement easier as you get stronger.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Kahunaburger said:
Yes, but Bethesda had to pull something entirely out of their asses, breaking the Elder Scrolls continuity as they did, just to get dragons in Skyrim in the first place. And besides, if I wanted to slay a dragon, I'd rather hack at it with my sword than just yell swear words at it.

DOOMGUY '93

Aug 15, 2011
The only thing i dont like is how the friggin loadiing times are goddamn long!!!! jesus could come back, blow up the world with a hippo, become emporer of the universe then get defeated by bob barker and optimus prime by the time loading is only half done, seriously to me that is poor optimization. also the third person seems F'ed, over the shoulder non combat, behind the back so you cant see any thing in combat. see a problem?

kaizen2468

Nov 20, 2009
The lack of a sort function on inventory is pretty irritating. Also the lack of organization when storing stuff in chests is pretty irritating. I also dislike that there is no acrobatics or athletics in Skyrim. Most all my complains are little things such as that. The game itself, I think is superior.