We Are Experiencing Technical Difficulties

Twintix

Jun 28, 2014
So, this morning, when I turned on my work computer, a Rescue and Recovery session started. Which was weird. But I agreed to it. I saw that some data would be lost. I thought: "Fine. It'll probably just reset to a few days ago."

Then, when the session was finished, I saw the message "Setup for first-time use loading"...

Then, I had to fill in a username...

Oh, shit!

All of the memory on my computer...wiped! Everything lost! Doujinshi, music lyrics, documents, book marks, pictures...everything was gone!

What the hell?! Why did my computer see it fit to start the session?! Why the fuck do they call it Rescue and Recovery if they Rescue and Recover jack shit?!

Now, I think that most of my stuff are saved on another hard drive, and I remember most of the lyrics that I wrote anyway, so it's not actually that big a deal. But it still leaves a sour taste in my mouth that so many documents have basically disappeared.

This is what happens when you don't read the small print, people! My computer probably would've been fine if I'd filled in some kind of setting.

So, what technical mishaps have happened to you lately?

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Well, I did accidentally Google "what to do with a large payload" after my phone auto corrected me.

And it came up with a bunch of rocket science and designs for shuttle craft and that's totally not what I was after. Boy, there was no small amount of egg on my face.

But then I just went back and searched for parlour correctly and it was fine.

Sorry that you lost all your stuff OP :(. Hugs!

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
I changed my motherboard a few months ago an didn't realize that you had to back up the OS or something and yeah, yeah, blah blah blah ain't nobody got time for that shit.

Long story short, Windows somehow magically fixed itself and recovered all the semi-important stuff, so I'll probably end up doing it again in the future.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
God damn Windows. I own a cheap netbook that I use Linux on 90% of the time but I need Windows for a few things. I had like 20 updates so I installed them and it bricked my Windows install somehow. I tried the different recovery stuff and none of it worked so I just decided to reinstall windows 8 cause it would probably be faster than actually fixing it. This of course, wrecked my Linux installs and I couldn't boot them (but that didn't happen the first time I reinstalled Windows). The guide on how to fix an Arch Linux UEFI boot didn't work so I repartitioned my drive and installed another Arch Linux distro with the hope that it would reinstall grub which would detect my other Linux partitions (I customized a lot of shit on my main distro and didn't want to redo it). It worked! But now Windows won't boot again. Fuck. Reinstall Windows 8 again but didn't update to 8.1 and of course I couldn't boot to Linux anymore. Reinstalled Linux one last time, and finally everything works

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
I didn't register my microsoft office, sooo now I don't have it.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
rosac said:
I didn't register my microsoft office, sooo now I don't have it.
Heh, that happened to me once as well. Now that I have it again, I hardly use it, of course, but once it was gone, I really needed it.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Building a new pc.

Checking the websites to make sure the remaining payments have gone through and the last few items are being shipped.

Realize that I didn't buy a GPU.

F#CK.

Luckily the shop I was going to buy it from has a quick turnaround so it's set to arrive the day after everything else.

-Ezio-

Eats Nuts, Kicks Butts.
Nov 17, 2009
well my monitor died a horrible death. but it turned out not so bad coz now i have a muuuuuuuuuuch better one that i can use for my consoles as well.

my ps3 also exploded. again.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
-Ezio- said:
well my monitor died a horrible death. but it turned out not so bad coz now i have a muuuuuuuuuuch better one that i can use for my consoles as well.

....is your avatar a My Little Pony Dragonborn? I'm pretty sure it is, based on the design, but not 100%.

-Ezio-

Eats Nuts, Kicks Butts.
Nov 17, 2009
Happyninja42 said:
-Ezio- said:

....is your avatar a My Little Pony Dragonborn? I'm pretty sure it is, based on the design, but not 100%.
yea. think i found it on memebase years ago.

lostlevel

Nov 6, 2008
Twintix said:
So, this morning, when I turned on my work computer, a Rescue and Recovery session started. Which was weird. But I agreed to it. I saw that some data would be lost. I thought: "Fine. It'll probably just reset to a few days ago."

Then, when the session was finished, I saw the message "Setup for first-time use loading"...

Then, I had to fill in a username...

Oh, shit!

All of the memory on my computer...wiped! Everything lost! Doujinshi, music lyrics, documents, book marks, pictures...everything was gone!

What the hell?! Why did my computer see it fit to start the session?! Why the fuck do they call it Rescue and Recovery if they Rescue and Recover jack shit?!

Now, I think that most of my stuff are saved on another hard drive, and I remember most of the lyrics that I wrote anyway, so it's not actually that big a deal. But it still leaves a sour taste in my mouth that so many documents have basically disappeared.

This is what happens when you don't read the small print, people! My computer probably would've been fine if I'd filled in some kind of setting.

It sounds like you used the option in Windows 8.1 metro interface. I found that option when I was having troubles with my PC but I didn't understand it so went through control panel instead. I think there is an option to keep the files but not programs if I remember correctly. Perhaps see if you have a previous recovery point in control panel from before you did that and you may be able to save it if not perhaps consult your nearest tech whiz. It's a bit beyond my knowledge.

In my case it turned out my hard drive was failing and I hadn't backed up my more recent photography archive properly for over a year. I found out almost too late as it became cripplingly slow that it was the drive not my computer's poor specs. It took about 2 weeks to sort it out but I managed to save it except 7 gigabytes of something, I don't think I'll ever find out what that data was but at least I got most of it back.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
-Ezio- said:
Happyninja42 said:
-Ezio- said:

yea. think i found it on memebase years ago.
Hah! xD I don't know why, but I find that pic terribly amusing. Very off topic I know but, *snerks*, damn that's cracking me up today.

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
My old HP desktop from 2006?... started getting what looked like electrical interference on the screen a week or so ago, I messed with the monitor cable & it cleared up. The next day I turn it on & end up going through 3 power cycles just to get it to boot up & when it finally does that "interference" is back, but messing with the cable no longer does anything & it starts getting worse the longer I left it on.

Ehhh, way past time to upgrade anyway. Still kinda annoying because transferring everything to my laptop 8gb at a time took forever & the screen slowly getting harder to see gave me a hell of a headache.

Still not sure what happened to it, I'm not very experienced with dealing with pc problems, a friend said it might be the motherboard.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Twintix said:
Lately, nothing, but last year Windows just went mental on me. I restart my PC and I get a screen saying "checking hard drive partition, yadda, yadda, yadda". I get these occasionally and usually skip them[footnote]I prefer to just boot the system. I have confidence in my HDD not being fucked. At most, it would be and the system wouldn't boot up, so I'd have to run the file system scan.[/footnote] but I didn't manage to hit the space bar fast enough that time. Well, apparently Windows found an error on the partition and fixed it. By just BLANKING THE ENTIRE PARTITION OUT. Gee, thanks Windows.

The entire "problem" was that something in the NTFS master file table was off, deleted files in particular - apparently the checksum for them didn't match, so chkdsk decided to resolve it as trashing the entire MFT. And the damn fucker decided to also "helpfully" do the same with the MFT backup.

I did recover all of the information from it, in the end but it did take me a day or so. In the process of doing so, I found out that most of the file recovery tools which you can easily find are slightly above "shit" level - they just return you a flat view of ALL files and folders that are still present in some form. Not helpful, if directory structure matters even one bit. And the files were still there. In there entirety. Only the file table was nuked, so, really, the ease of recovering 99% of the stuff would be relatively trivial[footnote]relative to otherwise un-deleting files[/footnote]. For the record EaseUS Data Recovery is just pure awesome and the best tool I've tried (I tried a few). It recovered all the data from the partition, including directory structure, without much of a problem.