We finally have some Cyberpunk 2077 gameplay!

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
And by some I mean... well, a good 45 minutes

If anyone wants to hear my opinion, it looks... well, for better and for worse it looks practically exactly like a cross between the new Deus Ex games and GTA. Now, liking both of these franchises I see little reason to complain about that.
I was thinking, and previously stated, that I strongly suspected that the main reason why they didn't show any gameplay even though the game has been in development for about half a decade is that they wanted to avoid another Witcher 3 situation where the eventual downgrade between early gameplay footage and the actual release version caused a lot of frustration. Graphically, the current version of Cyberpunk looks a lot more like something that might actually come out looking like that, unlike the early footage of Witcher 3 which actual graphics still haven't caught up to yet.
Other than that it's, you know, it's about what you expect from an RPG/FPS hybrid. Assuming that what we saw in terms of skills is all part of the early game you might get to do a lot of pretty sick shit later on. Other than that, it all looks pretty solid. Choices, consequences, dialogue menues, multiple solutions to quest, the old New Vegas/Human Revolution/Mass Effect beat.
A lot of elements suggest that they're taking cues from a variety of other succesful games, except for the aforementioned Deus Ex's, GTA's and Fallouts, there's a bit of Watch Dogs in there, a bit of Arkham, as I said, about what you expect. Very little about it in terms of gameplay seems like it's gonna reinvent the wheel but having an RPG with decent first person combat is a rarity as it is.

Sep 24, 2008
Ok.

If any of this really comes through, I legitimately don't see a reason to get another game other than this in my entire life.

This is as close as a Shadowrun game that I'll ever get, and I'm very grateful just to get close to it.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
While it definitely seems slick, I also get a strong doctored vibe from this trailer. The part with the cyberdoc especially stood out to me as being way too fluid and too involved for what would essentially be a standard menu transaction in any other game. Would it be cool as hell if every single augmentation came with its own short install vignette like the two shown in the reveal? Yup. But I also recognize how expensive it is to so either we'll end up with like a dozen upgrades max (which CDPR says isn't the case) or they'll be blowing millions of dollars just on setting up animations and scenes for purchases that most players won't be seeing in their single play through.

Until I can get confirmation from other sources, I will just assume this is more of a concept trailer then anything like what actual gameplay will be once I play the game. If they actually get all of this into the game, then CDPR has single-handedly moved both the RPG genre and the open world genre ahead more then a decade. And for all their prowess, I sincerely doubt they are that capable, especially since the Witcher games have been fairly standard RPGs technically, but with excellent writing.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Little worried that they're going to fall into the same trap that turned me off the Witcher, as in writing a world that's more focused on shoving how dark it is (And getting in as many fucks as possible) in my face and getting distracted from why I should give a shit about anyone living in it. Kinda getting that vibe from this trailer. Interesting world, interesting gameplay, interesting concepts.

Just please give me a reason to care about the people living it. Everyone who wasn't an asshole was a smarmy smart ass with little devation from those templates. I need a little more than that in my story.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Looks really great, but while it doesn't look like it's overreaching grapically, how good is this going to look and run when you're outside -- I'm seeing a large amount of people out on the streets. And in how many of these buildings can you actually go? It looks very realistic and detailed, but once you realize most of the doors and entrances you pass are locked off it kind of puts a damper on that open-world immersion. The Witcher 3 had the benefit of taking place in a world that's inhabited very sparcely by comparison, meaning most residences could be entered. This game however takes place in a super metropolis. I do like that I'm seeing a whole bunch of graphical glitches though. Means they're atleast showing it warts 'n all.

I'm assuming that body mod section was eloborated for demo purposes, because I can't imagine it being very fun having to go through this whole operation cinematic everytime you want to upgrade.

Don't know how I feel about the main girl's voice acting. It's not bad in any way, just sounds like such a typical videogame voice, if that makes sense. Speaking of the girl.. damn that cyber-booty. Also, notice the Priss reference with Misty.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
erttheking said:
Little worried that they're going to fall into the same trap that turned me off the Witcher, as in writing a world that's more focused on shoving how dark it is in my face and getting distracted from why I should give a shit about anyone living in it. Kinda getting that vibe from this trailer. Interesting world, interesting gameplay, interesting concepts.

Just please give me a reason to care about the people living it. Everyone who wasn't an asshole was a smarmy smart ass with little devation from those templates. I need a little more than that in my story.
If they pull back on the edge speak it'll be fine -- This demo seems a little too eager to throw swears around cuz mature.

Eacaraxe_v1legacy

Mar 28, 2010
ObsidianJones said:
This is as close as a Shadowrun game that I'll ever get, and I'm very grateful just to get close to it.
Honestly, I felt the Harebrained Schemes games were pretty good representations of the Shadowrun universe for a series of mobile games. It played close enough to the TT game I was satisfied mechanically, and the stories were on-point.

But that's neither here nor there, we're talking about Cyberpunk 2077. It's about as must-buy based on pre-release hype as it gets for me, but I'll probably wait for the second or third major patch to pick it up. CDPR has a slightly better rep than Bethesda or Obsidian for their games being...well, playable...at release, but not by a whole lot given their issues with graphical issues and framerate. I fully expect a huge amount of their reluctance to show gameplay thus far is the question if they can get this game to run on PS4 or Xbone without it being a complete shitshow.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Well I've learned never to trust vertical slice scripted gameplay segments. If I had to guess, probably 10% of what we saw will be in the release. The rest was just marketing.

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
I'm excited for more, but I do have to take early cinematic footage with a pretty heavy grain of salt. They've done a better job showcasing a few visual/audio flaws than most step-by-step previews like this, so I'll assume it's not completely scripted from start to finish (unless the flaws themselves were scripted in for the sake of an extra meta level of authenticity, but that's conspiracy territory). Regardless, I'm intrigued but still prepared for anything we've seen to not make the final cut.

I really like the idea of some of the backstory choices, giving your character a more unique sense of motivation from the get-go. Will we get to choose the nature of our "unfinished business" or why exactly we came to the same city as our "ex-lover?" Or are they just vague flavor text that we're meant to shape as the story progresses? Either way, I hope they pop up in some fun ways throughout a few questlines and give playthroughs a little more replay value.

Casual Shinji said:
And in how many of these buildings can you actually go? It looks very realistic and detailed, but once you realize most of the doors and entrances you pass are locked off it kind of puts a damper on that open-world immersion. The Witcher 3 had the benefit of taking place in a world that's inhabited very sparcely by comparison, meaning most residences could be entered. This game however takes place in a super metropolis. I do like that I'm seeing a whole bunch of graphical glitches though. Means they're atleast showing it warts 'n all.
Yeah, I like the look of the city, but I think it's safe to assume that most nonessential buildings will either be off-limits or copy-pasted in terms of internal design. But hopefully there are still enough unique things to find and events to stumble into to justify taking the time to explore a larger and more densely populated map.

Sep 24, 2008
Eacaraxe said:
ObsidianJones said:
Honestly, I felt the Harebrained Schemes games were pretty good representations of the Shadowrun universe for a series of mobile games. It played close enough to the TT game I was satisfied mechanically, and the stories were on-point.
They were great. I own them all. I want an open world game that is like what I'm seeing in Cyberpunk 2077. I lost my love of Xcom-style, turn based games

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
ObsidianJones said:
Ok.

If any of this really comes through, I legitimately don't see a reason to get another game other than this in my entire life.

Seeing the demo reminded me of the 2012 Dredd film. The game feels like it takes place in Mega City 1.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Yeah the most impressive stuff looked to focus (or played cleanly, not enough hanky movement like a real person would play) to be real gameplay, or at least not set piece specifically made as something you'll see once in the game and will never happen on it's own. The stuff that looked unfocused wasn't that impressive, nothing GTA can't do.

Honestly the way they keep emphasizing that the game is totally playable is getting a bit strange, if it really was this close to complete there would be tech demo available at gameshow, like gamescon that was just a week ago. It just starting to seem a bit fishy, like there publisher is starting to get impatient.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Meiam said:
Honestly the way they keep emphasizing that the game is totally playable is getting a bit strange, if it really was this close to complete there would be tech demo available at gameshow, like gamescon that was just a week ago. It just starting to seem a bit fishy, like there publisher is starting to get impatient.
This can mean a lot of things though. I'm assuming 'being playable from beginning to end' means most of the mechanics and world interactions (at least, tied to the main story) are in the game. But this doesn't mean it might not be buggy as hell, untextured, and lacking sound.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Im not very much impressed. it looks like futurstic GTA which can get boring very fast. the gunplay looks mediocre with bulletsponges enemies.

Deus Ex did first person cyberpunk RPG 20 years ago better.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
erttheking said:
Little worried that they're going to fall into the same trap that turned me off the Witcher, as in writing a world that's more focused on shoving how dark it is (And getting in as many fucks as possible) in my face and getting distracted from why I should give a shit about anyone living in it. Kinda getting that vibe from this trailer. Interesting world, interesting gameplay, interesting concepts.

I mean, it's cyberpunk, and the IP comes from a time when that meant something.

Like, the inherent point of early cyberpunk was the juxtaposition of advanced technology with societal decay. The genre originated as a critique of the "greed is good" mentality of the 1980s. That's the punk. You're not supposed to like the world, and you're supposed to understand that the people in it are the products of an oppressive society. A common theme is that corporations have eclipsed governments, and that the aggressive, selfish mentality of corporate hierarchy now functions as a rule for surviving everyday life. Everyone is an asshole, because non-assholes get crushed.

And normally, I'd be all with you nine times out of ten (heck, I'm totally with you with the Witcher) but one of the biggest problems in cyberpunk has been the gradual reduction of the punk elements to mere aesthetics ("cool cyber man"), and there's a good argument to be made that maybe cyperpunk was never very punk to begin with (a lot of cyberpunk never really had a social consciousness, and that's a meaningful genre critique) but, speaking as someone who is kind of a fan of the genre, I'm living for the assholes.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
That was one of the coolest things I've ever seen. CDPR knows how to create a sense of place few other developers can match. I do wonder what they have to gain from releasing such a hype 'trailer' considering how that backfired with other games(Watch Dogs, Dark Souls 2). Look at the particle effects with debris flying around during the shoot-out with enemies firing through walls and behaving realistically. Or a huge amount of NPCs behaving in a natural and organized way on that city square. Or one of the enemies screaming ''my legs, my legs'' when he gets shot in the legs. Not to mention the unbelievable graphical polish and what looks like really tight driving and shooting mechanics(for a company with zero experience in neither).

Looks all a bit too good to be true. I mean, I have never even seen such a dynamic environment and intelligent enemy and NPC behavior in a linear scripted game let alone a gigantic open world that already has to account for an infinite number of variables. The game definitely doesn't look like anything current-gen consoles are able to process so concessions to this preview build are unavoidable. I expect major graphical downgrade, less environmental detail, routine AI behavior that's easily exploited and scrapped(or severely diminished) debris/particle effects.

I have no doubt it will still be an amazing game though and one of the best RPGs ever made considering CDPR's pedigree but aiming for the stars seems a bit unrealistic. These small preview builds always have a quality that gets diluted as it never really takes into account the amount of resources that need to be divided in the final game(espescially a game that is apparently as huge as this one).

Still, if this preview build is released as a sort of motivational feedback to the developers I hope the final game gets as close to Cyberpunk's insane ambition as possible. Regardless I have no doubt this game is still going to be amazing. I hope we see it before the turn of the decade. Hype!!!!!

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Seems there was a hidden message in the final frame, an interesting reoccurrence for this game's promotion;

In other words that are the same words but less fuzzy;

Sorry to have kept you waiting for this for so long!

Did you like what you saw? Because for us, the fact that we're finally showing you Cyberpunk 2077 is HUGE. Please go to our forums, twitter, facebook, discord, and do tell what you think. Is the game world how you imagined? Do you see what we meant by "immersion" when we talked about CP2077 being an FPP RPG? How does our vision of "cyberpunk by day" make you feel? We really want to know.

Aside from that, we think we owe you a few words of explanation on why we're showing you this gameplay now, some time after industry professionals and media saw it at E3 and gamescom.

Each time we discussed the idea of showing the game to you (and we discussed this idea a lot), we were ending up in this "we're not 100% sure" limbo. Why? Because (for most people), when a game dev shows gameplay footage from their game, it means that this is how the game is going to look or play like. It's not the case here. Cyberpunk 2077 is deep in development. We have a lot of design ideas, a lot of mechanics being playtested, but we don't know what we'll end up with at launch. This makes publishing videos like what you just saw risky --we don't want gamers saying 'but in that previous video that gun was shooting differently', or 'why did you change the interface?'. Change is inherent to game development and there's a ton of things being modified each day. Our fear was (and kind of still is) that you'll think what you just saw is how Cyberpunk 2077 will look like 1:1.

What gave us that extra confidence to show you a work in progress game? Good initial feedback from people who are accustomed to see games at various stages of development. What they told us (and they told us they really liked what they saw) gave us the boost we needed to show the current version of Cyberpunk 2077 to the most passionate and insightful audience --you.

So... here's what Cyberpunk 2077 looks like today (or rather looked like when we recorded the video). We sincerely hope you liked it.

Again, thank you for your patience and all the thoughts you shared with us.

Yours,

CD PROJEKT RED
They're not making it easy for anybody to be mad at them. Sly old foxes. But is necessary, considering how bad some members of particular communities can react when it comes to any large game release.

Other than that, it's a very appealing style. Deus Ex was always missing the grimy messy human nature being expanded by technology and the damage of endpoint capitalism, it was a little too sanitised to sense a deeply underlying corruption in every unassuming corner and character that makes you feel like you might need another shower after mingling. Not sure why that is appealing, considering it wouldn't be a pleasant reality to physically live in. But it is, so whatever.
Protag lady voice sounds like the same lady voice who played female Ryder in ME:A, so hopefully (assuming it is the same human) she has a far more convincing script to work from, as that did feel like a waste of quite a listenable voice.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Xsjadoblayde said:
I wonder if the delay in gameplay footage had anything to do with the reported negative reaction they got when they showed press. I'll bet they're massively overhauling the gameplay

Eacaraxe_v1legacy

Mar 28, 2010
evilthecat said:
...And normally, I'd be all with you nine times out of ten (heck, I'm totally with you with the Witcher) but one of the biggest problems in cyberpunk has been the gradual reduction of the punk elements to mere aesthetics ("cool cyber man"), and there's a good argument to be made that maybe cyperpunk was never very punk to begin with (a lot of cyberpunk never really had a social consciousness, and that's a meaningful genre critique) but, speaking as someone who is kind of a fan of the genre, I'm living for the assholes.
I hate to break it to you, but except for virtual reality, commercially-available cybernetics, and flying cars, we live in a cyberpunk story. The "devolution" of the genre is perhaps the greatest meta-critique of all.