"We had a way harder life than you!"

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
Have you ever heard this from your parents when you were growing up? Maybe when you did bad at something, like school, and you tell them that you tried your best, but they come up with some snappy response like "You ONLY studied for 5 hours for ONE test. I had to memorize the entire textbook, and they were twice as thick back then!"

Is the statement really true though? Is "Our current life" easier than what it was back then? Or is it actually harder, and they're just trying to push us? Sure, we have way more/better technology than back then, but is that really a positive point? Or does it just make things more complex?

What do you guys think? Did we have it better back then, or do we have it better now, even though there are way more options in our life?

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
Matthew94 said:
I shut them up by telling them it's called progress and human advancement.
Believe me, I've tried the "Advancement" argument as well. Goes into the whole "You need good habits to live a good life" discussion.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
If it was so fucking hard for the previous generation why are they complaining about us, other than out of spite? You should be happy your kids don't have to suffer the same hardships you did.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Of course they had it harder.

When my dad was growing up everything was black and white, how the frack they could tell what was what without any colour i'll never know.

Also water was wetter, snow was colder and they had to walk to and from school uphill both ways ... wearing clogs.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
They most likely did have it harder.

Lucky for us, things are better now.

Not in every single fashion, every single time. But for the most part.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Almost all the older people in my family did have a harder life than me. But they never moan about it or use it against me. Both they and I are happy I'm in a better position.
And, to be honest, hearing about some of the stuff my parents/grandparents went through and worked through kinda makes me feel bad for being lazy.

Broady Brio

Jun 28, 2009
My dad is keen to remind me that in the good ol' days, [Insert relevant example here]
I tend to remind him that times have changed from 50 years ago.

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
My dad grew up in a house without electricity.

Mind you im 31 and he is 60 :)

Things are easier for everyone these days and thats a great thing

RubyT

Sep 3, 2009
Well, they mostly had it worse. And probably complained less.

I love how this generation really seems to have everything but keeps pretending the end is nigh.

Think of the seventies: Oil Crisis, Vietnam War, Cold War (actual possibility of Apocalypse). And back then they thought a new ice age was upon them. Still had less little dipsh*ts who hate mankind walking around.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
overpuce said:
I agree with them because them moved over here to escape the Vietnam war. (They are South Vietnamese and lived in Saigon).

Besides any arguement would soundly be ignored by them or countered with punishment. Damn strict Asian parents.
"Your online name is "overpuce"? Why not averpuce?"

Sorry. 'Just felt I had to...

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Hazy992 said:
If it was so fucking hard for the previous generation why are they complaining about us, other than out of spite? You should be happy your kids don't have to suffer the same hardships you did.
This. You're going to miserable because I was too! Yeah, that makes sense!
IamQ said:
"Your online name is "overpuce"? Why not averpuce?"

Sorry. 'Just felt I had to...
I suppose my name should be Nauw then :p.

Shivarage

Apr 9, 2010
unstabLized said:
"You ONLY studied for 5 hours for ONE test. I had to memorize the entire textbook, and they were twice as thick back then!"
And yet they still don't know any better, must be all the irrelevant filler that clogged their books, the whole point of evolution is to cut the crap to save time and effort

... they didn't even mention whether they passed xD

Captcha: describe "at&t" with any words - "crap"

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
I only heard it on the front of how college work and research was done in their day- that I have it far easier now and that I shouldn't complain about how "hard" it is to write my papers with something like the internet, and all its information at my fingertips.

Which is... absolutely true. My parents had to look through card catelogs and didn't have near instant communication with their professors and other inputs and sources of information. That's been the only thing I've conceded, without argument, on. Everything else, from school life and other issues usually involve answers found in long, branching discussions of different contributing factors.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
I would say they had it easier, the economy wasn't shit and they didn't have as much trouble finding a job.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
With all the advantages that kids have today (the internet, social media, video chatting, etc.), there is absolutely no reason that these kids can get any lower than a C in any subject in school (speaking in terms of the K-12 system).

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
My father had it terrible growing up. Abusive stepdad, forced to work for the family for money, not allowed to play sports or go to college, and then shunned by half of his family when they stopped identifying as Jehovah's Witnesses.

But he never held that over me and my sister when we were growing up, and just wanted the best for us.

I will say, however, that we had it a lot harder than kids these days. All we had was usenet and the internet would disconnect when someone picked up the phone, lol.