We might've cracked Multiple Sclerosis

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States

Short version: 18-19/20 people end up being infected with the Epstein-Barr virus at some point in their life. It causes mono, among other things. Half of all kids get it as soon as their immune system starts working on their own and typically it causes mild symptoms at worst. Complications to EBV cause some people to develop the auto-immune response known as Multiple Sclerosis.

mRNA technology might be effective at providing a vaccine for EBV, which would solve or lessen the severity of a wide swath of future problems. This is mRNA HIV vaccine trials big (potentially)

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I know this speaks completely to my ignorance for matters of complex medical science but when someone says “We think we’ve cracked it” in regards to a disease, it tends to - incorrectly - put an image in my head that they have gotten it down to the stage of “Take three of these a day for six weeks, you’ll be right after that” or “Have this injection twice a month for six months, and she’ll be apples”

Obviously this an offensively lay view of something medical scientists around the globe have been plugging away at for around seven decades, and that within the right circles this news is going to be of supreme value. So, hats off to all the diligent workers who have enabled this discovery.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I know this speaks completely to my ignorance for matters of complex medical science but when someone says “We think we’ve cracked it” in regards to a disease, it tends to - incorrectly - put an image in my head that they have gotten it down to the stage of “Take three of these a day for six weeks, you’ll be right after that” or “Have this injection twice a month for six months, and she’ll be apples”

Obviously this an offensively lay view of something medical scientists around the globe have been plugging away at for around seven decades, and that within the right circles this news is going to be of supreme value. So, hats off to all the diligent workers who have enabled this discovery.
I think potentially the issue is that they might have had a big breakthrough, but it still takes three decades to get a viable treatment from it.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I think potentially the issue is that they might have had a big breakthrough, but it still takes three decades to get a viable treatment from it.
Which is what anyone in the field or in the know will take from this report. They understand it’s a big step with many more to go. I think the wording just has a different effect on the average person.