We Need To Talk.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Vault101 said:
Majinash said:
What about the old Command and Conquer games? Didn't feel like a gimmick at all to me.
I was thinking more "Who shot Johnny Rock?" so no I havent playes the CC games

there was another series...wing comander I think that is well loved
Command and conquer, colony wars and wing commander series all used fmvs well. Wing Commander 4 did a great job of presenting Confed on the brink of civil war.

Emperor: Battle for Dune was also good, Michael Dorn pulls off the House Artrades Duke so well.

El Luck

Jul 22, 2011
NinjaDeathSlap said:
- 'What do you think Marvel will try next?'

- 'Americans... explain the appeal of Grits to me.'

- 'If you became the CEO of a major gaming publisher of your choice, who would it be, and what would be the first thing you'd change (you can only pick ONE thing, no cheating :p)?'

- 'If the date of your birth became a national holiday in your honour, what do you hope you'd be remembered for?'

- 'Baby Seals win at cuteness... Discuss!'
I love you for starting this thread because I agree wholeheartedly with the reason for it.

What do I think marvel will try next? Iron Hulk. Ok they wouldn't try it but I can dream can't I?

If I were a CEO I would stop the abuse of old IP and actually make proper games with them.

If my birthday because a national holiday I would likely be remembered for the dumb shit I do when drinking. Especially dancing like a fucking twat.

Kamui-Moshiri said:
- Miley Cyrus is arguably the greatest punk icon we've had since the new millennium, and she puts almost everything that qualifies as 'punk' these days to shame.
I've heard this a few times but honestly I can't really think of much that she has done that can be considered punk. I know a lot of people have pointed to the fact she smoked a joint on stage, but she was in Amsterdam. That wouldn't have been hard to pull off. *shrugs* I dunno.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I always liked to read (and post) in the thread(s) about what game got one into a certain genre or what was so great about the older games.
Getting to re-live some unspoiled childhood memories and remembering those first times defeating Brock in pokemon or something similar.

Animal threads are also nice, I don't have any pets but looking at what people here have collected is pretty nice :D

As for the baby seals, anyone who's been on the internet knows that kittens wins teh cutns prizez!!

El Luck

Jul 22, 2011
Kamui-Moshiri said:
El Luck said:
Kamui-Moshiri said:
- Miley Cyrus is arguably the greatest punk icon we've had since the new millennium, and she puts almost everything that qualifies as 'punk' these days to shame.
I've heard this a few times but honestly I can't really think of much that she has done that can be considered punk. I know a lot of people have pointed to the fact she smoked a joint on stage, but she was in Amsterdam. That wouldn't have been hard to pull off. *shrugs* I dunno.
Nah, it's more than just all the drugs, it's her complete and utter ambivalence. I have not seen someone give less of a fuck what popular culture thinks of them in a very long time. She doesn't care who she pleases, she doesn't care who she pisses off, she just doesn't care.

And for my money, that's a lot more punk rock than almost all the bands that infest Warped Tour every year.
True I guess, but then again given the fact she's the kid of the achy breakey heart douchnozzle that is Billy Ray Cyrus she can afford to be that ambivalent and I have a hard time finding the punk as it were in being too rich to care. I'll agree with you that mainstream punk is just utter crap but that's why I'm quite glad I live in a place where there is a nice thriving local music scene that heavily consists of rock, metal and punk

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Let me just say before I let all the fun out, THANK YOU FOR BRINGING THIS UP. The toxicity is why I took a long hiatus from The Escapist, so it's nice to know the sanity force is back with a vengeance. ^~^

OT:
-"Have you ever written your own OG story/fanfic? Explain. If so, what advice can you give to fellow writers?"
-"Anime/cartoon with the most enjoyable/unique animation to just gaze in awe at."
-"Your Dream gaming/movie/music Industry"
-"Crazy dream thread" (there might have already been one or two of these, but f*** it, they're neato)
-"You officially have a boy/girfriend! What cute video game related fun would you have together ...mothaf**ka?"
-"Predict Kojima's Silent Hills UFO ending (Remember, Kojima is making it, go all out)"
-"Bloodborne's Offensive Fast Pace? Or Dark Souls Defensive Slow Pace?"
-"Create a DLC for a game that deserved some."
-"The Official Why Platinum Games is so Based Thread"
-"Other than Persona and Zelda having one already, what game OST deserves a live concert?"
-"What game personally hit you with it's central theme? And how well do you think it nailed said theme?"
-"Share your artwork/talent! YES, even if you think it's crap!"

-"Waifu/Husbando Wars"
Ok let me explain... someone posts their waifu/husbando. The next person who posts their tribute gets matched with the previous one.
Both describe how the fight goes...

F*** the cute baby seals thread!!! (unless they're your waifu...) MAKE MY THREAD HAPPEN!

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
This thread gets all of my thumbs up.

Kamui-Moshiri said:
Cyrus annoys me because of her attitude. Twerk with your not bum? Fine. Slide down a big tongue coming out of a giant you on tour? Fine. It's that she also seems to have this attitude of "I want to make music videos interesting again". Thus far, none of her Bangerz music videos have been interesting in the slightest.
We Can't Stop - It's Just Dance if it were set in Bad Romance's bath haus.
Wrecking Ball - Once you've seen it, it suddenly lacks any kind of intrigue.
Adore You - There's nothing to this video, just wrecking an al right song with a crappy video.

And even her previous album's videos weren't that interesting.
Can't Be Tamed - Oh, you're taking advantage of everybody watching Bad Romance, Telephone and Alejandro's videos with your weird imagery for the sake of views. It didn't help the single's performance, though.
Who Owns My Heart - Generic club music video.

- What the hell happened to Lady GaGa?
Gaga seems to have decided to go on a promotion hiatus, giving a simple lack of care when it comes to success. It's a shame, too, because G.U.Y. had a pretty good video and it was a perfect single candidate. No promotion besides the video and one television perfomance before it was released as a single. Fucked. Now she's working on her jazz album with Tony Bennett.

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
NinjaDeathSlap said:
I Know You!
Actually, I was thinking of doing a Crusader Kings II playthrough here. I wouldn't mind seeing if anyone here would be interested in that sort of thing. Would be a a joke playthrough where I'd let people design and have a certain amount of control over the character, represented in game by voices in his/her head.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Drummodino said:
This thread gets all of my approval.

I for one would like to see more threads focused on the positive times you have had with games, not the negatives. Sharing your cool stories of finally conquering Pikachu and Snorlax in Dark Souls, that epic match of DOTA 2 where you and your team pulled off a crazy win out of nowhere, those kinds of things.

Also more of a focus on creativity. Some kind of user-generated content forum to expand on the dead User Reviews would be wonderful. There are a huge number of wonderfully talented people on this website, and giving them a chance to share their work would be awesome!

Also baby seals are the cutest of the cute, I want a plushie one right now!
I wanna hear more about people's plushies! I had a hedgehog and a purple bear and a brown mouse!

This thread's got a pretty encouraging turnout thus far! :)

It'd be nifty to have a thread on video game FMVs as well.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
NinjaDeathSlap said:
- 'What do you think Marvel will try next?'

- 'Americans... explain the appeal of Grits to me.'

- 'If you became the CEO of a major gaming publisher of your choice, who would it be, and what would be the first thing you'd change (you can only pick ONE thing, no cheating :p)?'

- 'If the date of your birth became a national holiday in your honour, what do you hope you'd be remembered for?'

- 'Baby Seals win at cuteness... Discuss!'
1. No clue what Marvel will try next

2. ....it's a fairly tasty grain/wheat product that can be served in multiple ways as a side dish with breakfast?

3. Don't care what company it would be. And I'd probably change the writing staff to be better. Since IMO most of the major flaws in gaming come from the writing. I can usually overlook weird mechanics, if the story is well told.

4. For my incredible fashion sense. No, really um...*thinks*.....my atheism I guess. *shrugs* Never thought about it, as I don't really care to be some national symbol or something.

5. While I do not deny the high cuteness factor of baby seals, I would question their superiority on the Cute-ometer simply due to lack of exposure to them. Puppies and kittens win out by their sheer proliferation of cuteness. I honestly can't recall the last time I saw a seal, but I see puppies and kittens all the time. Thus their cute-ification is more prolific.

Counter post!

Original Poster...explain to me the appeal of *insert weird food product for your geographical location* ! Go!

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Happyninja42 said:
Okay... Yorkshire Puddings. They are doughy, yet also slightly fluffy, tubs of deliciousness that are an essential accompaniment to roast beef. They are also really very hard to do well, so the people who can do them well get to feel incredibly smug towards everyone else for their culinary superiority.

dragonswarrior

Also a Social Justice Warrior
Feb 13, 2012
Man!! Grits is the shit!! You can make it sweet or savory, put whatever kinds of bits you want in it...

Best grits is grits with shrimp, garlic, and pepper. Sooooo good.

OT: I love this thread so much. I lurked on these forums forever before joining, and though I'm hardly old guard I've been kinda sad at the lack of the "fun" threads and the general lack of civility as well. Which isn't to say I don't think we should have controversial threads. I do. Hell, I've made a couple myself, one quite recently. I just wish we could balance them out with more fun and jolly and happy making threads where people didn't have to be so angry all the time.

I wish there were more threads about awesome books. And music. Lists of "Your favorite books with X flavor" and "Your favorite music with Y flavor" are awesome to me, 'cause you can get awesome stuff from them.

Threads of funniest youtube videos, cutest youtube videos, etc.

"If you could live forever, would you? Why or why not? Discuss!" Maybe add an addendum like "Everyone you know and love will die at their appointed time." or "You only live 300 years, would you still do it?"

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
Ninjamedic said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
I Know You!
Actually, I was thinking of doing a Crusader Kings II playthrough here. I wouldn't mind seeing if anyone here would be interested in that sort of thing. Would be a a joke playthrough where I'd let people design and have a certain amount of control over the character, represented in game by voices in his/her head.
You should totally do that; I'd love to see more written let's plays on these forums. I believe there was a CK2 lets play a little while back which disappeared after just a few updates. The writer started as a duke in the Byzantine Empire at the Alexiad start, and managed to get imprisoned as a traitor within a few years.

OT: I'm all for more positive threads, since I don't bother even reading negative threads. I've more or less migrated to Forum Games in the past couple of months, specifically Serial Killer (which is awesome fun). I could do with an excuse to come back to the Off Topic and Gaming boards.

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
Ninjamedic said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
I Know You!
Do the playthrough! I love me some Crusader Kings. I've always wanted to create an RP thread based on the game somehow, But i never knew how to structure it

Valkrex

Elder Dragon
Jan 6, 2013
Thank god, there's a sane voice of reason... I know exactly how you feel. There are a lot of issues in gaming that deserve discussion, but because of the underlying toxicity many of these issues simply cannot be discussed in a rational manner so they never get resolved or at least begin moving in a better direction.

Totalbiscuit actually talks about this in one of his recent videos.

For those interested http://youtu.be/VhrcMTMPzT0?t=16m (its also a discussion/rant about how its impossible to discuss gender and gender related issues at the moment. The first half is just a VLOG about other things)

I would like to see discussions about why people like certain genres of games, and particular titles within.

The pros and cons of PC gaming, contrasted with the pros and cons of console gaming without it turning into a mudslinging contest and the whole "PC master race" bullshit taking over as it always does..

Issues of sexism in the industry alongside the representation of females in video games and how to have strong and well written female characters in games. How to improve in all of these areas, and the benefits of doing so while avoiding extremists from either side who just clog the discussion with straight up bullshit.

Game exclusives and their potential harm/benefits to the consumer without having the "console war" take over the discussion.

Level design in games: Which games have awesome level design, examples of which, and how it benefits the gameplay overall.

A serious discussion about the Souls games without all of the "git gud" and "DARK SOULS 2 BETRAYED ME WHAAAAAH!" crowds butchering the discussion. Actually discuss the games, why many of us crazy fans enjoy them, and crazy stories of random adventures therein.
(Seriously, DS2 is a fantastic game even if you feel its the weakest in the series. If you didn't enjoy it that's cool and I'd like rational discussions about why everyone likes or dislikes a title in the series (I've seen a lot of hate thrown at EVERY souls game from diehard fans of another) but I see a lot of people who LIKE the game get attacked for liking it)

Stigmas attached to fandoms: Why most are bullshit and how to move past them and present what you love to those who don't understand. (In particular the Furry and Brony communities get SO much shit flung at them for reasons that really don't make much sense... okay need to stop before I start rambling) Along with introducing fandoms you like, and cool stories of awesome stuff you've found, or friends you've made because of a fandom.

Now for less serious stuff:

FANDOMS: Which ones do you find yourself in, and why? And what's some cool fan stuff (art, music, animation, merchandise etc.) that you've seen/acquired?

GLITCHES: Hilarious shit that happens when your favorite games go brain dead.

Right in the feels: Games that tugged at your heartstrings and TOTALLY DIDN'T MAKE YOU CRY, ITS JUST SOMETHING IN YOUR EYE, and powerful moments in gaming story.

CLOSE CALL: Close victories in gaming where you barely escape with your life, or were down to your last unit, or used your last bullet etc. and snatching a win from the jaws of defeat.

FANGASM: Games, movies, books, songs, w/e that you can't stop obsessing over and can't shut up about. COME SPAZ ABOUT YOUR FAVORITE SHIT HERE!

DRAGONS IN GAMES: Why dragons kick ass, awesome examples of dragons in games, and representations you would like to see.
(Personally I'm getting REALLY tired of seeing dragons portrayed as mindless killing machines, or just always straight up evil. There's a LOT you can do with a species this powerful and intelligent so it baffles me why they are always just there to be slain, when in a lot of books and stories I've read they can be some of the most interesting and nuanced characters in the entire story, and be a force for good as well. Not saying evil dragons don't have their place, they can make great villains, just a little more variety would be appreciated)

Mcoffey said:
Pretty much any topic that can be discussed civilly and respectfully, and with respect to the persons or things the subject is about. Yeah, that'd be pretty fucking delightful in my book.
This 100%.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Yo, people should go and make some of these threads! I'll write one up soon.

Barbas said:
Drummodino said:
Also baby seals are the cutest of the cute, I want a plushie one right now!
I wanna hear more about people's plushies! I had a hedgehog and a purple bear and a brown mouse!
I have a plushie Companion Cube from Portal, it's great for hugging and throwing at people :D