We Reveal Your Picks for the 12th Game of Christmas

Zom-B

Feb 8, 2011
Hyper-space said:
Zom-B said:
Hyper-space said:
Seriously, the outrage over this game has to be the single lowest point for the RPG genre ever, it showed us so clearly what RPG fans want, the same fucking thing, over and over and over again. No experimentation, no innovation, no changes, just the same old shit.
Not to get all can of worms on this, but I'd say that you're right to a degree and that's really why people were mad. DA:O was pretty darn good. People liked it the way it was, liked how it played, liked the world. Then Bioware and EA did their corporation thing and tried to make it "better", but they didn't. They took out a lot of the stuff that people liked and added in some stuff that they didn't. Cue nerd-rage.
But DA:O was pretty much the same game that Bioware made years ago, why not welcome a bit of change now and then? The thing with innovation is that you have to be willing to take risks, you cannot just whine about the industry not innovating enough and then jump down on the throat of anyone (and even more importantly, a big game-company like Bioware) who tries to change something for the better.

Honestly, with the amount of hate Pokemon and Call of Duty gets, I'm surprised that people still just want the same fucking game with DA:O. I guess a game only has to innovate as long as its not your game that's being changed.
Well, I pretty much agree. I guess the way that changed the game between Origins and 2 just didn't cut it for a lot of people. Personally, I played through Origins and enjoyed it, despite what I thought were a few shortcomings. After playing the demo for DA2, I wasn't interested. I could tell it had been changed in a way that wasn't for me. I still may play it one day, but I didn't dump tons of hate all over it. I did gleefully watch the nerd meltdown though. haha

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Just catching up with this, so it's good to see Human Revolution on the list.

I'm hoping that Skyrim is still to make an appearance because if it does, it'll be above Minecraft on the list. Something which I will take upon myself to view as a big "biiiiiiiiiii" to Minecraft from Bethesda :p

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Hyper-space said:
Flavio Kuperman said:
I wonder how much EA had to pay to get DA2 up there. With all the overall negative reception DA2 got (other than by pro reviewers, of course), it will be a shame to see all the excellent games that didn't make this list. Damn I hate that game.
DO you really fucking think for a second that a multi-million dollar corporation is going to bribe a fucking website, SO THAT A GAME CAN APPEAR ON A CHRISTMAS LIST OF GAMES WHICH HAS ABSOLUTELY NO EFFECT ON ANYTHING?

Dragon Age 2 had balls, it actually gave us characters and not bland stereotypes which you had to feed compliments so that their motherfucking feelings wouldn't get hurt. "Oh whats that? end of the fucking world? Nope, just gonna run away because you do not share the exact same opinions as me".

Seriously, the outrage over this game has to be the single lowest point for the RPG genre ever, it showed us so clearly what RPG fans want, the same fucking thing, over and over and over again. No experimentation, no innovation, no changes, just the same old shit.
Dragon age 2 had about eight different areas. The very definition of same old, same old.

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
Hyper-space said:
Alphalpha said:
Therumancer got permanently banned for that last post? Really? I realize that he impugned the reputation of the Escapist somewhat but a perma-ban seems unnecessarily harsh.
He basically herped-the-derped when he suggested that the Escapist was selling out, just because the community didn't adhere to his specific taste. You seriously have to be one massive fucking prick to be so fucking narcissistic and arrogant that you think that if YOU didn't like the game, then NO ONE could have liked the game. Hes confusing the teary-eyed vocal minority with the rest of the community.

The "If i do not like it, it shouldn't exist" opinion that is getting bigger and bigger on this website is really annoying a lot of people. A lot of arrogant people around that think they can dictate what other people should like or not.

Well newsflash different people have different tastes (i know a real shock). I am one of the people that prefer dragon age 2 over dragon age : origins.

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
Yay Portal 2! It definitely deserves to be up there in that spot! You knows what that means, number one is VERY obvious!

*cough*Skyrim*cough*

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Flavio Kuperman said:
Predicting CoD at #2 and Skyrim at #1... neither would be my personal choices, but they would be understandable.
Ah, but you see, The Escapist is famous for its absolute frothing-at-the-mouth zealous hatred of anything even slightly affiliated with the Call of Duty franchise, or indeed Activision.

Flavio Kuperman

Dec 14, 2011
OhJohnNo said:
Flavio Kuperman said:
Predicting CoD at #2 and Skyrim at #1... neither would be my personal choices, but they would be understandable.
Ah, but you see, The Escapist is famous for its absolute frothing-at-the-mouth zealous hatred of anything even slightly affiliated with the Call of Duty franchise, or indeed Activision.
Granted I'm new to posting in the forum, but I've lurked around for a bit; I figured that since DA2 got in the list, and I know the forums exploded in the past with bile and hatred over that game in the past, I figured anything would be possible.

AdmiralMemo

LoadingReadyRunner
Legacy
Dec 15, 2008
MercurySteam said:
Ziadaine said:
..I think it's broken.

I've been away for a week, finally saw it, clicked on each Day to see them, only got the 7th Day. Are users only able to claim them ON the day? It used to be you can claim them up to the final day for all of them in previous years :\
I'm not getting No. 8 either. Buggy badges are buggy.
Same here. All I got is number 2. The thing that pisses me off is that I've been to the Escapist nearly every day, and somehow simply failed to see the news post on this.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
AdmiralMemo said:
MercurySteam said:
I'm not getting No. 8 either. Buggy badges are buggy.
Same here. All I got is number 2. The thing that pisses me off is that I've been to the Escapist nearly every day, and somehow simply failed to see the news post on this.
I got two messages telling me I got number two, though I only two and not three. I think the new layout has has completely destroyed what would have been a fun Christmas event. Can't blame them for trying, though.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Freakin' called it. It comes to no surprise seeing as how the entire world is all hyped up about Skyrim. But I'll admit I prefer Skyrim as the most anticipated X mas game rather than, let's say, MW3.

Orks da best

Oct 12, 2011
ugh skyrim, Deus ex HR should have gotten 1st place not 4th, skyrim "the soul sucker on the internet."

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Kind of disappointed that Deus ex or Saint row didn't get to at least the No.1 and No.2 spot.

Hopefully next year a game I like and love will reach No.1 and not be released a month before any sort of poll begins.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Hyper-space said:
EDIT:
Alphalpha said:
Therumancer got permanently banned for that last post? Really? I realize that he impugned the reputation of the Escapist somewhat but a perma-ban seems unnecessarily harsh.
He basically herped-the-derped when he suggested that the Escapist was selling out, just because the community didn't adhere to his specific taste. You seriously have to be one massive fucking prick to be so fucking narcissistic and arrogant that you think that if YOU didn't like the game, then NO ONE could have liked the game. Hes confusing the teary-eyed vocal minority with the rest of the community.

Seriously, hes more suited for 4chan than this place.
Seriously dude? There's more to it than that. They've been having cash flow issues lately, and they've done a lot of questionable things in the name of staying solvent. In the games industry, sadly, it's a pretty common practice for advertisers to influence the editorial content, and it can be a legitimate question in situations like this. What's more, I really think you're wrong about there being some silent majority that liked DA2. This is The Escapist, the site where the only people more vocal than the haters are the fanboys. Imagine if some minority of the posters started spamming the forum with threads hating on Half Life. They'd get completely drowned out by the people who honestly love the games. If it really was a majority of registered users that liked the game, we would have seen a very different attitude than we did. Now, I am not saying that Therumancer was right, but I am saying that the results here are truly unexpected. There's more than likely some sort of bias going on; either a ton of unregistered users voted, or else the group of registered users who did vote weren't quite a representative sample. I didn't even know about the contest until Therumancer got banned and I clicked on the link to see the reason, and I'm on this site every day, so that tells you something about how well the contest was advertised ahead of time.

P.S.: Note that I have absolutely no opinion on DA2, having never played either Dragon Age game. I recognize, however, that there aren't very many people on this forum that liked the game, and the result really is unexpected.

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Seriously dude? There's more to it than that. They've been having cash flow issues lately, and they've done a lot of questionable things in the name of staying solvent.
Meanwhile, at the Bioware Headquarters...

"Hey, there's some video-gaming site that is doing a community poll on their favorite games of the year!"

"Hmm, while this is just a community poll with no meaningful effects on anything that has to do with Dragon Age 2, I suggest we pay off the website so that it can land in 12th place"

"Great idea!"

Seriously, look at yourself, look at your mindless fucking accusations. Just because a vocal-minority cried and cried about the game, you expect EVERYONE to hate it. I have been on this site for nearly 4 years, so I know what it is like. If you confuse the opinions of the vocal minority for that of the majority, then you simply don't know the internet in general.

Every time someone started a poll about DA2, the people that actually liked it were at least 50%, while it was a handful of people that whined on and on about it in the comments. Seeing the absolute mind-boggling hatred and stupidity from some of these people is enough to scare some people away from sharing their honest opinion, especially as its customary for people to exclaim that "if you like a game I don't like, you're retarded and/or stupid".

Therumancer's comment and this whole fucking shitstorm has to be the lowest fucking point in the community's history. Its one thing to not like a game, its another to accuse people of corruption just because they do not conform to your opinion.