We should not fear Ebola

maxben

Jun 9, 2010
Of course we should not be afraid of ebola! Brothers and sisters, we must embrace it so it will lead us down to the 9th Circle!

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'll show myself out.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
Rabies is more deadly than Ebola (and in greater numbers in North America), yet most people in first world countries don't fear to leave the house because of it. Sure, you MIGHT die from Ebola, but you know what's worse than 80% mortality? 99% mortality. Of course you have a chance in a first world country if you receive a post-exposure vaccine soon after you get a wound, but it's not fool-proof (and often you can't even know if you're been transmitted the disease. A scratch from a small bat can be painless and practically invisible. They're the most common vector in most countries). Once you show symptoms of rabies (flu-like symptoms, which can take a long time to show itself), you're pretty much toast. It ain't a good way to go either.

There are some similarities between rabies and Ebola. They are very deadly, but they're also relatively difficult to transmit. With Ebola, you must come in contact with infected body fluids. With rabies, you need to be in contact with saliva of an infected victim (mostly bites and scratches, but drool can also cause transmission...and rabies makes one drool A LOT). Both rabies and Ebola often require a vector species. First world peeps are in the clear with avoiding infected African bats, and rabies can be avoided if you vaccinate your pets, don't approach unfamiliar/wild animals (especially if sickly), apply protection when moving dead animals, don't invite wild vector animals to live in or near your house, and get vaccinated if you're at risk. Very deadly disease, but it's also something easy for you to protect against (then you count how many governments keep record of and promote prevention programs to control disease in wild populations. In many regions, up to date rabies vaccines are mandatory for all pets, indoor or outdoor). And of course the last similarity is that being in a first world country makes these resources for prevention and control easier. Third world countries often have unclean water, clustered populations and families, less practice of hygiene, lack of wealth among it's people, various religious and social pressures/stigmas, and less awareness or means to control disease. Believe it or not, many parts of the world have problems with rabies. They may have high stray or (infected) wildlife populations or don't otherwise enforce proper vaccination protocols. The most recent case of human rabies in Canada was in 2012. A man was in the Dominican Republic and was (supposedly) bitten by a bat.

So ya, know what Ebola is, but don't put yourself in a bubble and panic over it if you're in a developed country, likely far away from the disease. Being smart (not scared) is your best defence, and that goes double for people who have been to infected areas. Know what it is, how it's transmitted, what it looks like, go to proper authorities if you have it, and of course practice proper hygiene (which you should be doing anyways). And don't lick toilets!

I've been to isolation rooms before. The level of cleanliness required to just stand in a room is crazy, and this wasn't even where sick people were kept. It's nuts. These kind of rooms are so well designed that air pressure is maintained so that "sick" air doesn't escape easily through doors. Iso rooms are no joke, and good hospitals don't fuck around.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Frankly, people need to use this as an excuse to teach better bathroom hygiene.

I.E. Don't piss on the fucking toilet seat in a public bathroom and not clean up after yourself you filthy bastard.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
The fear comes from the fact that Ebola is a ticking clock, accompanied by sweating, vomitting, and lightheadedness. That's an incredibly unpleasant, uncomfortable way to die, and it's still one of the best ways to. So first worlders have this idea of an apocalyptic, full-scale desertation of human societal structures and complete economical collapse in mind, whereas the actual results of, say, a 100 people getting Ebola in Western Europe or America would be bad and most of them would die, but not nearly at the level their imaginations are setting.

I think some people just aren't very well educated on the subject.

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
Ebola is not a disease that is a threat to western societies, as we have the education and health infrastructure to deal with these sort of viruses. The reason it is so serious in Sub-Saharan Africa is due to a lack of any kind of health infrastructure and mishandling of infected corpses. Hell, sterilization is rare over there.

Which is why I roll my eyes at CNN saying things like "Ebola is the ISIS of Biological Agents."

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Matthew Jabour said:
HIV is a near certain killer, but people still don't use condoms all the time.
Actually, HIV isn't nearly the killer it used to be - at least not in the USA. Modern anti-virals can keep it pretty much inactive for many patients.

OT: **shrug** I live in the USA, and I'm not particularly terrified of Ebola. I certainly wouldn't want to get it, though. Ick.

Matthew Jabour

Jan 13, 2012
Happiness Assassin said:
Ebola is not a disease that is a threat to western societies, as we have the education and health infrastructure to deal with these sort of viruses. The reason it is so serious in Sub-Saharan Africa is due to a lack of any kind of health infrastructure and mishandling of infected corpses. Hell, sterilization is rare over there.

Which is why I roll my eyes at CNN saying things like "Ebola is the ISIS of Biological Agents."

You know what? That's actually a perfect analogy. Ebola poses no real threat to America, people are freaking out because of how little they know about it, and some people still blame Obama for it.