Weapons That are Less Powerful, but More Satisfying

rutcommapat

Jul 1, 2011
Today I was playing GTA4, and it occured to me that I prefer the less powerful pump-action shotgun to the auto-shotgun. Even though the auto is better for actual firefights, the weaker shotgun feels like it has more impact, at least to me. The auto-shotgun sounded weak, and overall felt less satisfying.

Does anyone else ever have situations like this where they use weapons more for satisfaction than for usefulness?

DrSpoy

May 26, 2011
The sawn off is weaker (I think, not sure) then the pimp cane in SR2, but the sawn off looks and feels better with my main character.

RedMore Trout

Jul 29, 2011
I used the bolt-action rifle the entire time I played fallout 3. laser guns and nukes? Who needs em'

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
rutcommapat said:
Today I was playing GTA4, and it occured to me that I prefer the less powerful pump-action shotgun to the auto-shotgun. Even though the auto is better for actual firefights, the weaker shotgun feels like it has more impact, at least to me. The auto-shotgun sounded weak, and overall felt less satisfying.

Does anyone else ever have situations like this where they use weapons more for satisfaction than for usefulness?
The ensuing silence punctuated by the slide being pumped and audibly hearing the spent shell scattering... it emphasises the power by giving you time to appreciate it.

I prefer the wrench in Bioshock 1 to the drill in Bioshock 2. It's just the way you can run over and time the perfect head strike darting in and out of range, even better than the drill dash.

vivalahelvig

Jun 4, 2009
Any pump shotgun feels better than any gun in any game for some reason. It's probably the killing power a shotgun itself has, with the sound of the clack clack of the pump and the loud sound of god slamming his car door on his annoying brother's fingers.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
RedMore Trout said:
I used the bolt-action rifle the entire time I played fallout 3. laser guns and nukes? Who needs em'
Dude, I'm with you on the Hunting Rifle. God, I love that gun so much the only thing it lacked in FO3 was a scope, which they gave you in New Vegas(if you can find it that is).

Sgt_Jakeman214

Jul 19, 2010
Point in case, the Gears of War games. Your standard rifle, the Lancer, is a mid range full auto rifle, with decent accuracy and damage. However, if your enemies get too close, you can activate the CHAINSAW attached to the underside of your barrel and SAW THEM IN HALF!

I ALWAYS carry a Lancer, for those exact reasons. It doesn't matter if it would be better in the next level to have the Boomshot (grenade launcher) and sniper rifle, or the shotgun and flamethrower (a fun combo though!).

I think its the Chainsaw.
VRRRMM PUTPUTPUTPUTPUT VRAM VRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAMMMMMMM!! *ARGHHHH!* VRAMMMVRAM PUTPUTPUTPUTPUT........

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Anything feels better when it's lever action.

Lever action rifles, lever action shotguns, if a game has it, I'll use the crap out of it (one of the reasons I love Red Dead Redemption so much).

OctalLord

May 20, 2010
The oversized Syringe for Yuki in The Dishwasher Vampire Smile, It takes about 5 more hits to kill an enemy than the other fast weapon(Which is two sickles tied together by the handles.) but it is soo fun to use. Especially when you've got three zombies(The weakest enemy in the game taking two syringes or one of its more powerful attacks.) in a row. Dashing forward splitting the first two in half and then draining the last one of all its juices.

WHO'S THE ONE TAKING BRAINS NOW ZOMBIES?!

Edit:
Daniel Forman said:
Magikarp.

Pokemon being refered to not just a less powerful but a WEAPON at all. It just seems wrong.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
The Reserve Shooter in TF2.

The sound is absolutely sexy, but unless you're good with pulling off midair shots it's nowhere near as good as the default shotgun.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I've always liked the Needler in Halo for this. It's usually a pretty terrible gun and isn't even overly fun to actually fire.. but if you manage to pincushion someone with a full clip of needles and then watch them blow up in cloud of pink mist there's not much else like it.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
Baseball bat. I'm a force-a-nature.

I always loved the kar98k and mosin nagant in CoD1, too. So much more satisfying than being a bren-whore or just cornering with a ppsh.

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
I never used any other melee weapon other than the hidden blades in AC2. Just felt too awesome cutting people up with tiny knives from my hands.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
It's not necessarily less powerful, but the M416 in BFBC2. There's something about that gun that's really, really satisfying. I'm usually always a burst fire or semi auto player, but I make an exception for that gun.

Mr Thin

Apr 4, 2010
teqrevisited said:
I always loved the kar98k and mosin nagant in CoD1, too. So much more satisfying than being a bren-whore or just cornering with a ppsh.
If I am playing a first person shooter, and it has the Kar98k, that is the gun I am using for the rest of the game. M1 Garand, Thompson, MP40; they can all bugger off, I have no need for them anymore.

Also the Chinese Pistol in Fallout 3. It's only a million billion times awesomer than the standard pistol - both in look and sound - but for some inane reason it's weaker. I've heard there are mods that fix this though, I think I'll look into them.

Nightspirit

May 30, 2011
otakon17 said:
RedMore Trout said:
Dude, I'm with you on the Hunting Rifle. God, I love that gun so much the only thing it lacked in FO3 was a scope, which they gave you in New Vegas(if you can find it that is).
Same here, in both new vegas and 3 i used rifles. More satisfying