weapons

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
Katana. Rapier is too flashy and flimsy for my taste and a broad sword would be too heavy and cumbersome. Also I am a practitioner of Ninjutsu, So I do have some training with a katana.

Chester41585

Mar 22, 2009
I usually pick up blunt force weapons. Clubs, maces, or improvised weapons of that sort. I use the bow for target shooting almost every day IRL. I'd take a hatchet or tomahawk if I had a choice of a bladed weapon. Short spears are a good general purpose thrusting weapon.

Fenring

Sep 5, 2008
Since there is absolutely no context here, I'll add it. Best weapon to bring to a fight. I say rifle. Why?

OblivionSoul

Oct 19, 2009
Depends on the quality. I think the Japanese katana has quite the impressive image. But the broadsword can be of equal or better quality depending on the maker.

Katana most likely XD

Rakkana

Nov 17, 2009
If it's out of those three then a katana at the moment. In another year a broad sword.

If it's not then I pick my fists!

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
I would take the rapier, killing an enemy with cuts and care while keeping my distance.

CountFenring said:
Since there is absolutely no context here, I'll add it. Best weapon to bring to a fight. I say rifle. Why?
That's a pistol? Interesting fact: Originally that scene was meant to have indy swordfighting but since Harrison Ford (along with 90% of the cast and crew) had insanely bad food poisoning they really had to keep filming in very small snippets.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
Out of the three, I'm not sure. It's really about context. If it's just to plant onto a wall, I'd prefer rapier. If we're talking defence and the assumption you'll be good at with whatever weapon, I'd say rapier again. If we're using a sword based on our current skill, I guess katana due to the high speed but also being an bladed-edge weapon making it easier to use.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
I would go broadsword all the way. Katana's just arent strong enough for my tastes. and don't even get me started on rapiers.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Rapier. I'm not likely to be fighting anyone in armor, and I'm more likely to be fighting in cramped quarters. Even then, a knife would probably be more helpful.

Flames66 said:
Katana. Rapier is too flashy and flimsy for my taste and a broad sword would be too heavy and cumbersome.
Rapiers aren't flimsy (are you thinking of fencing foils?). One-handed broadswords weight just as much as katanas, and have more standard methods of attack than katanas.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
NeutralDrow said:
Rapier. I'm not likely to be fighting anyone in armor, and I'm more likely to be fighting in cramped quarters. Even then, a knife would probably be more helpful.

Flames66 said:
Katana. Rapier is too flashy and flimsy for my taste and a broad sword would be too heavy and cumbersome.
Rapiers aren't flimsy (are you thinking of fencing foils?). One-handed broadswords weight just as much as katanas, and have more standard methods of attack than katanas.
I used to fence and I hated how you were supposed to move and attack. What I mean by flimsy is one goot swing from a larger sword and it'll be in two pieces.

Also I think I have broad sword confused with long sword. My mistake, but I would still prefur a Katana. I want a shorter two handed sword because I want to hold it with both hands, but to have it light and easy to swing.

ALuckyChance

Aug 5, 2010
I'd have a rapier. If I ever had to use it, I'd wear a puffy shirt and fight while drinking tea with my pinky up.

There's just something I find appealing in gentlemen English fencers.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Nice, you managed to break at least three rules in one post [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.112832-The-Banhammer-and-You-A-Users-Guide-to-the-Forums]:

* Pointless Threads - Usually judged by merit of there being little to no content. You only typed one sentence, and apparently couldn't bother to type the personal pronoun "you" to complete that sentence.

* Misleading Thread Titles - The subject line is really vague, leaving us wonder if you're talking about WMDs, or the right to have weapons, or what, so we have to look to find out, which is the spirit of what the rule is about.

* Repeat Thread - Put "choose weapon" in the search box and see how many hours it was before you another thread on the subject was posted. It is interesting to see how often - seems to be a certain fascination with implements of death amongst the youth - but the subject itself has exhausted its potential.

I'm no moderator, maybe it's not my place to say. Maybe this is your first time to forums, maybe you're like 10-years-old, maybe English isn't your first language. I can sympathize. But please, for the good of the overall quality of the forum, try a little harder.

Satin6T

May 5, 2009
come on guys be nice, hes new here
just remind him of the rules and he'll better himself

also

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
I wold choose the broadsword due to the fact that there are more ways to use it. You can cut to a certain extent, you can stab, you can use it as a crushing weapon because it is heavy, and it can be used as a bludgening weapon with the pommel.

I rather have a hammer anyway.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Flames66 said:
NeutralDrow said:

Flames66 said:
I used to fence and I hated how you were supposed to move and attack. What I mean by flimsy is one goot swing from a larger sword and it'll be in two pieces.
If someone tries to straight-up block with a rapier, they deserve to have their sword snapped in two. You're supposed to either stab the opponent before they get close, dodge then stab, or parry then stab...or parry while stabbing.

<url=http://www.thearma.org/essays/katanavs.htm>You might find this article interesting, though. It's nominally about a hypothetical sword duel between wielders of both weapons, but that's discarded fairly early (answer: "they'd kill each other, it's just a question of which way."). Most of it is a comparison and debunking of positive and negative myths for both weapons.

Also I think I have broad sword confused with long sword. My mistake, but I would still prefur a Katana. I want a shorter two handed sword because I want to hold it with both hands, but to have it light and easy to swing.
The OP was alarmingly non-specific (and "broadsword" and "longsword" aren't all that specific), but it really doesn't matter. Even two-handed swords weren't really all that heavy.