Wearing deodorant at the gym

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
I don't understand why anyone would be bugged by people smelling sweaty at a gym. That's like complaining about someone smelling like chlorine at a pool.
So yeah, I'm with you. Put on deodorant when you leave or when you finish your shower, but you're there to work out, not hang out and smell people.
Your friend seems like the kind of guy that would re-apply deodorant several times in the day on a really hot day.

sir neillios

Dec 15, 2012
IronMit said:
Lynx/Axe is cheap
LIES LIES LIES LIES LIES LIES LIES.

Here in the UK Lynx costs an absolute fortune, you rarely see it at under £3 a can, I tend to buy about 10 of them when the local supermarket has them on offer.

Now to the matter at hand. Sweat actually doesn't start smelling immediately, it takes about 4-6 hours before the bacteria create the unpleasant sweat smells. Which is what deodorant does, kill these bacteria. And if you aren't showering immediately after the gym you're downright disgusting so there's no point in putting it on then.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
It really won't do much, but wear it for shits and giggles. My antiperspirant at least releases good smells to me when I sweat. Not sure what others are smelling, but fuck em. Probably a good choice to not eat a bowl of curry the night before. That'll make you smell bad from a mile away.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Dirty Hipsters said:
1. It will mask the smell from my armpits, which is where you apply deodorant, but it won't do anything for my chest, back, crotch, face, or any of the other places I'm sweating from. Seriously, you should see one of my shirts after the gym, if it's white it's basically see-through and if it's grey it basically turns black.
The reason deodorant is applied to the armpits is because, in case you haven't noticed, the smell that accumulates in the armpits is rather unique as compared to the smell that accumulates on the rest of your body. It may not keep you smelling like a freshly washed baby, but it at least keeps the particularly pungent rank that comes from the armpits under control. Nobody expects you to not smell a bit sweaty at the gym, but normal sweat smell doesn't fill half a room. Armpit odor does.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
IronMit said:
Lynx/Axe is cheap and it will disguise any smell just incase there is one.
Anybody who wears Axe into a gym deserves to be turned out onto the street. The only thing it does is add that obnoxious "trying too hard to smell good" smell on top of the other odors that are still present because Axe isn't an antiperspirant. Trust me, that shit doesn't work in "covering up" anything. There are lots of foreign students in the building most of my college classes are in, and showering and deodorant aren't really "things" for them. So they wear cologne and Axe to cover up their BO. Little do they know everybody can still smell their BO, and their cigarettes, and every other smell they've encountered since the last time they bathed.

You might use body spray to make yourself smell a bit better on top of everything else (but not Axe, that shit is nasty, get something real men get like Old Spice or Polo), but don't think for a moment it'll "mask" anything. You'll still smell like a pile of sweaty rags if you've been working out, the only difference is the pile of sweaty rags smells a bit like they got into somebody's Axe at some point.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
No, wearing deodorant at the gym is a stupid idea.

Bacteria is responsible for making your sweaty regions odorous, not your sweat itself, and that bacteria takes time to build up. So, shower, gym, shower, and you'll be basically odorless.

Edit: I concede that special efforts may need to be made if you're very hairy there.
A good idea for your friend is to stop sniffing people at the gym.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
Putting deodorant on for the purpose of not smelling while working out is the dumbest thing someone has told me to do. Newsflash, it doesn't do shit unless you work out for 5 min and even then you will have an odour. Also, I doubt you will pick up a lot of chicks at the gym so stop wearing axe it smells like shit, and is way worse and overpowering than sweat.

No one cares that you smell, the only people who care are people who you wouldn't like anyway. But oh man, I hate people who have so much smells, that I can't breath. Which reminds me of this one time doing Muay Thai. We were clinching and he must have come from work or something, and I almost suffocated(overexaggerating).

I'm done.

Lynx

Jul 24, 2009
I'm a girl, and I don't sweat a lot even when I do a heavy workout, so maybe I don't have a say in this.

However, unless some part of your workout routine involves you and your gym buddies being close enough together to smell each other, I don't see how it's anybody's business whether you wear deo or not. I honestly don't. It's not unhygienic, and it washes off in the shower. As long as one wipes the seats afterwards. I personally might find it a vain waste of deodorant.

It would be a different thing if your workout was a partner thing, like ballroom dancing or something.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Deodorant and perfume at the gym is a pretty bad thing. I wish people would understand that, before the folks down at the gym are sooner or later forced to step into action. There is nothing wrong with fresh sweat. However, if your perfume overdose and deodorant stains have a negative impact on my performance and my well-being, I will report your ass and complain in all the fruity words that come to my oxygen-depraved brain.

Fresh sweat does not stink, except for people with all sorts of medical or other conditions. After the routine/workout, taking a shower and THEN applying deodorant is absolutely OK and recommended.

The gym is a place where I and others go to be more metabolically active than usual. Being under stress and bodily active requires one to breathe more. I don't feel like inhaling other people's artificial smelly stuff, no matter if cheap or expensive. It makes me gag. I also think a lot of folks mistake the gym as some sort of flirt and spontaneous sex hotspot. It's usually not. I wish people would accept that.

ungothicdove

Nov 30, 2007
I'd say it's a good idea, the pits can be rather smelly disgusting things so masking it a bit won't hurt. Obviously you're still gonna need a shower and to reapply the deodorant after :)

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
I sweat a lot when I work out and while it may be futile to use deodorant, I do so anyway. It's more so out of common courtesy than anything. The gym is a shared space with other people, the least you could do is take the 5 seconds to slap on some deodorant if only to slightly mask your stink.

DiamanteGeeza

Jun 25, 2010
There's a guy at my gum who's sole choice of eating the night before a workout is either a really spicy curry or a giant bowl of garlic. He also smokes, doesn't wear antiperspirant, and sweats more than any person I've ever seen. The odor that he carries round with him makes you gag (especially when you're gulping in air while exercising) and the cloud of smell around him has about a 10 foot radius. You can even smell when he's been on certain pieces of equipment because he leaves behind an odor footprint.

The smell almost defies belief; it is totally and utterly disgusting. There have been quite a few complaints to the manager, but thus far no action as far as I can tell.

My advice to anyone going to the gym: please wear antiperspirant. It's not expensive, and takes mere seconds to apply. You don't have to bathe in the stuff, just deal with the smell zones!

OT: My captcha is eerily appropriate... "breathe happy by eliminating odors with..."

bigwon

Jan 29, 2011
If your odor is rancid to begin with your doing something wrong.

Unfortunately due to all of the crap that we ingest on a day to day basis that makes a good amount of us...hehe

Just scrub right and watch your general health/hygiene (no...applying deodorant isn't what i mean) and you should be good to go. If your smelling like composting chinese garbage you should probably be in ER as opposed to the gym. Just joking....kind of.....

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
Wear it.
You wear deodorant to not smell bad.
If you sweat you will smell bad, even if youa re not aware of it.

I agree that anti-antiperspirant is a little bit futile, but deodorant is a must for me.

Jarsh82

Sep 17, 2012
You sweat differently from your armpits and groin than from the rest of your body. The sweat in your armpits and groin contains lipids which becomes a colony for bacteria. The bacteria breaking down this fat is what gives us body odor, basically rotting fat in your armpits and groin. You don't get body odor from sweat on your forehead or chest or back so please use deodorant.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
What the honest fuck is going on here.

Deodorant is USELESS during a proper workout. I don't care if it's anti-perspirant. Useless. Furthermore, not everyone else is going to be using deodorant as well. Furthermore, I suppose since I'm in Australia and people can get over themselves, no-one, even in conversation, has ever mentioned that as a problem/courtesy.

You know what I do? I wipe down the things I've been on. THAT's a courtesy.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
If you don't spread a malignant cloud of smell when you're sweating, it shouldn't be needed. In fact, a heavy mist of male deo hanging in the air at sport facilities is awful imo.

I do use deo after I'm done to stop any further sweating.

Estranged180

Mar 30, 2011
As others have already stated, use it as a courtesy to others around you. And as to what your friend says OP, tell him you took your phuckitall that day, and decided to watch the world burn, while wearing deodorant... because watching the world burn is hot work.

If anyone has any issues with how you work out, challenge them to do the same, and not break a sweat in doing so. Then take your phuckemall (closely related to your phuckitall) and work out to your heart's sweaty content.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Put it on after the gym, but putting it on before is pointless. If you are complaining about the smell of sweat at a gym, just grow up.

MorphingDragon

Apr 17, 2009
Dirty Hipsters said:
A friend of mine and I got into an argument today about wearing deodorant at the gym. He found out that when I go to the gym I don't wear deodorant and he said that he thought that was disgusting.

My counter argument was that I don't wear deodorant at the gym because it's largely an exercise in futility, since if you're doing a decent workout you're going to sweat through your clothing anyway, rendering the deodorant mostly pointless.

So escapists, settle this argument for me, who is right? Is there a point to wearing deodorant to the gym even if you know you're going to sweat through your cloths anyway?
That reasoning doesn't hold.

Yes you sweat over most of your body and sweat being just water and salt doesn't have a smell of its own. However there are two types of sweat glands, the ones that cover most of your body and the ones that directly connect to hair follicles. What gives you BO is the type of glands that connect to hair follicles as they also mix fat and various proteins with your sweat. Once a droplet of this type of perspiration is expelled bacteria start breaking down the fat causing your brand of particular stank.

So yes deodorant in the particularly bushy areas of human anatomy will still help even if you're sopping wet afterwards.

Chairman Miaow said:
Put it on after the gym, but putting it on before is pointless. If you are complaining about the smell of sweat at a gym, just grow up.
I find it's usually the "Fitness Centres" FNAR FNAR that complain about people using chalk or not wearing enough deodorant.

At my Muay Thai club you could be working up a stank and burping like a ************ and no one will care.