Wearing Shoes Inside - The Fuck?

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
In multiple instances of US media, I've seen characters wear shoes inside a private home.It always struck me as odd; Why would one wear it? For comfort? Isn't it more comfortable without the shoes..Or with slippers?
And hey, don't you realize that it is DIRTY? What especially baffles me is that Sheldon and the others in Big Bang Theory wear shoes inside the apartment, even with Sheldon's extreme germ phobia. Isn't this exactly the sort of thing he would crack down on?

So, my question is; Is this really common-place in the US, and why? How do you feel about it?

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Richard A. Kiernan said:
Realitycrash said:
In multiple instances of US media, I've seen characters wear shoes inside a private home.It always struck me as odd; Why would one wear it? For comfort? Isn't it more comfortable without the shoes..Or with slippers?
And hey, don't you realize that it is DIRTY?. What especially baffles me is that Sheldon and the others in Big Bang Theory wear shoes inside the apartment, even with Sheldon's extreme germ fobia. Isn't this exactly the sort of thing he would crack down on?

So, my question is; Is this really common-place in the US, and why? How do you feel about it?
I'm pretty sure it's commonplace in most Western nations. We're not Japanese, and we don't have a ritualistic point of view on wearing shoes indoors.
I live in Sweden, and it sure isn't here. And even IF it is common-place, it doesn't explain why people would do it.

Aylaine said:
Depends on what kind of flooring. Is it carpet? Tile? It can really depend. Some people prefer shoes though while others would go for sandals or slippers. That's what I've observed, anyways. I prefer slippers myself though. :)

I'm thinking that it would be dirty no matter what you do though. Your feet aren't always going to be clean, so when you put them inside your slippers, then your slippers get dirty too. Furthermore, I've noticed that walking around the house in most surfaces will move dust & dirt into the air. In a way...

[HEADING=1]No where is safe. ;)[/HEADING]
Oh come on, my feet might be dirty, but AS dirty as the sole of my shoe after I've been into the city? I seriously doubt it. I doubt it is even close.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
I almost always wear shoes indoors because I can't be bothered to take them off. Unless they're noticeably uncomfortable heels or something. I only had one friend growing up whose parents made us take off our shoes on the carpet, and I always thought that was totally strict and weird.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
We aren't neanderthals here in Canada, either. You take your damn shoes off in my house... And everyone else's house, too.

Slippers are fine, as long as they don't go outside.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I only take my shoes off inside if I know I'm going to be there for awhile. Also, sometimes it's best just to leave them on if you've been working hard that day and need to contain your stinky feet within your shoes!

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
One person's polite removal of dirty shoes is another's rude exposure of dirty, smelly feet. There is no right action.

Aylaine said:
...I'm thinking that it would be dirty no matter what you do though. Your feet are never going to be clean, ...]
Fixed that >.>

Esotera

May 5, 2011
I'll occasionally wear shoes indoors but that's because my house is undergoing renovations, and I will get hurt or dusty without them. Generally unless it's cold I'd think it'd be a bit weird if someone consistently wore shoes indoors.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
It might have to do with the climate in the different regions.
Here in Norway, if you're walking through the door with your shoes on you'd on most days be tracking in a shitload of mud or snow.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
It depends on the climate. If it's cold in the house I'll wear shoes until it heats up (you lose a stunning amount of body heat through exposing your feet, even in socks) and then I'll take them off.

If the temperature is comfortable I'll take them off.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Jonluw said:
Here in Norway, if you're walking through the door with your shoes on you'd on most days be tracking in a shitload of mud or snow.
Won't the trolls steal your boots or something though?

I've only heard of people who have a lot of carpeting requesting you take your shoes off. Also the Japanese and wacky Europeans. My house doesn't have any carpeting, it's either hardwood or tile. Have you ever walked barefoot on tile in the winter? It also keeps you from stubbing your toe sometimes, a definite plus.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
I hate wearing shoes inside my house and people that do that too.

It just looks wrong and goes bad with my room...also shoes carry dirt and stuff from the outside world which I DO NOT WANT in my room. SO take them off damn it before coming in!

senordesol

Oct 12, 2009
Wh...wha? Their shoes? That's what you notice? K... All I can tell you is that it varies from place to place. I was once frowned upon for removing my shoes in my own grandparent in-law's (then: to be) house. Said it belied a sense of 'familiarity I had not yet earned'. Other places, yeah, they say 'take of yer damn dirt trackers'.

Come to think of it, it probably varies by region. Regions that have the potential to track a lot of mud and dirt; take off your shoes. Regions where that is not so much of a hazard: for God's sake, keep that smell contained.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Dags90 said:
Jonluw said:
Won't the trolls steal your boots or something though?

I've only heard of people who have a lot of carpeting requesting you take your shoes off. Also the Japanese and wacky Europeans. My house doesn't have any carpeting, it's either hardwood or tile. Have you ever walked barefoot on tile in the winter? It also keeps you from stubbing your toe sometimes, a definite plus.
Basically all the floors in my house are hardwood as well.
We have some rough carpeting in the hallway. Have no idea why it's there.
In any case, yes, I've walked on cold tiles before. Both my bathroom and outer hall are tiled. We've got heating cables running under those now though.

I never understood why people would want tile floors in their house.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Jonluw said:
In any case, yes, I've walked on cold tiles before. Both my bathroom and outer hall are tiled. We've got heating cables running under those now though.

I think there's some sort of law of the universe that decrees bathrooms and kitchens must be tiled. Actually, I think there's a practical reason involving water ruining wood and toenail clippings getting stuck in carpet.

Still, what do you do about any pets? We had a dog for a number of years. Couldn't exactly tell him not to track in dirt.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I tend to stab my toes a lot. My shoes stay on!

Also, I find it dirtier to have my shoes off - Dust and indoor muck'll stick to my socks or bare feet. Nasty! Don't even get me started on stepping in a wet spot in the bathroom.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Dags90 said:
Jonluw said:

I think there's some sort of law of the universe that decrees bathrooms and kitchens must be tiled. Actually, I think there's a practical reason involving water ruining wood and toenail clippings getting stuck in carpet.

Still, what do you do about any pets? We had a dog for a number of years. Couldn't exactly tell him not to track in dirt.
I have a hardwood kitchen floor, but yeah if you don't wipe up the water you spill on a hardwood floor, eventually you'll get some rot and shit.

And yeah, my cat tracks in a decent amount of dirt. However, it tends not to stick too much to the floor. Rather, the issue is when he inevitably seeks out the cleanest piece of furniture (which is often my freshly clothed lap) to lie on.

In any case, I'd rather not have a horde of primates bringing dirt into the house in addition to my cat.