Web browsers and the Escapist

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
So to make this a legitimate thread beyond my bitching, what browser do you use to browse the Escapist? Is it different than your normal browser? Anyone else experience a bit of unusual slowness compared to other sites?

I use(used, will explain later) Firefox and Escapist has always been a little bit slower for me compared to other sites, but in the last few days its gotten to the point where if I try to open an individual thread it's a 80% chance it'll half-load then get stuck and a 60% chance it'll half-load the forums itself. I was actually resorting to using the Steam in-game browser, which is kinda sad. I scraped my Firefox, installed from scratch, and still had the same problems. But then I remembered I had an install of Chrome on this computer that was collecting dust, so I started that up and so far it's been working buttery smooth. No clue what the issue is with my Firefox. Chrome is similar enough to Firefox that I might actually make it my new browser of choice, once I customize it to my liking.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
I use Firefox for all my browsing. Including the Escapist. And yes, it is slower here, normally - the pages take anywhere between 10 and 20 seconds to load (completely, anyway). But I haven't had the loading stick, so far. Well, nothing out of the ordinary, at least.

Any addons/options you might have changed on FF?

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
I own two laptops. On my old one that is on its last legs, I use Firefox. On my newer one, I use Chrome. I can't really say which one I prefer yet. I've been using Firefox for so long, it's been reliable for me. I like Chrome well enough, I just haven't been using it long enough to determine if it's really good.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Been using Chrome since it came out. Usually loads pretty damn well, although occasionally it does immediately go to "server disconnected" but then I refresh and it's back.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
I use FireFox for everything. As for Escapist not loading fast on it, well I have fairly slow internet, so I don't notice a difference in a few seconds

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
I fucking love chrome, but I also use safari as I cannot be bothered to download another browser for my phone (if I even can do that for my I-phone). I've noticed that Firefox worked really slow for me on the Escapist as well, which is part of why I hate using it so much.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
DoPo said:
I use Firefox for all my browsing. Including the Escapist. And yes, it is slower here, normally - the pages take anywhere between 10 and 20 seconds to load (completely, anyway). But I haven't had the loading stick, so far. Well, nothing out of the ordinary, at least.

Nope, and I got rid of all of them when I did a fresh install of Firefox. Virgin Firefox still had the issues. Maybe it's something else on my computer.

Lucem712

*Chirp*
Jul 14, 2011
Interesting, I'm using the "Nightly" builds of Firefox, and everything seems to be working well. The only time I get the half page loading is when I'm on my mobile (default browser.)

You could install the Add-on "Speed Fox", which optimizes Firefox, though I'm not sure it'll help.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
LetalisK said:
DoPo said:

Nope, and I got rid of all of them when I did a fresh install of Firefox. Virgin Firefox still had the issues. Maybe it's something else on my computer.
Could be. No idea what, though. And why it affects only FF. If you are actually thinking of switching over from FF to something else, then Chrome really is a solid choice.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
I use Chrome and only lately it's seemed slow (on this website),
but it's not consistently slow.
Sometimes the pages load really fast and sometimes really slow, sometimes they get stuck half loaded.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
Yeah, Chrome's awesome. I still use it when it's slow just because of my hatred for toolbars.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Firefox for everything. Yeah the Escapist loads slowly sometimes but I've always put that down to the amount of traffic and high content.

Rip Van Rabbit

~ UNLIMITED RULEBOOK ~
Apr 17, 2012
templar1138a said:
I use Firefox for all my browsing. It doesn't seem all that slow to me. I would guess because I use ad-block. No ads to load means it doesn't take long for me to load a page.
I would edit that post if I were you, mods don't take too kindly to someone using that certain extension on this site.

DionysusSnoopy

May 9, 2009
Chrome everything loads reliably quickly unless i'm opening multiple pages simultaneously the only thing that hasn't been loading is the home page when i open the browser but its google and i rarely use the google page to search when i have the address bar.

Varis

lp0 on fire
Feb 24, 2012
I'm using SRware Iron. It's the same as Chrome but it respects one's privacy a bit more. And everything has worked perfectly for me! Loading times range from good average to fast, so no complaints there.

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
I'm a FireFoxer. It's not really that slow for me, but occasionally (about once or twice a month, I'd say) it'll crash.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Opera, the browser I normally use. It's smooth, minimalistic, and doesn't catch on fire randomly.