Web cartoons you grew up watching.

VG_Addict

Jul 16, 2013
JoeCartoon

Happy Tree Friends

Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny (I was obsessed with that song in middle school).

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
There were no webcartoons when i grew up. But i have seen punched cards related to the work of my father.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So, I grew up in the 90s, so web cartoons weren't really a thing in my experience until later in the decade. So while I can certainly cite cartoons in of themselves that I watched, web cartoons though? I certainly remember Homestar Runner, and...that's it.

Might remember more as the thread goes on. I certainly watched copious amounts of machinima in the 2000s, but different medium I guess.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Gordon_4 said:
Does Red vs Blue count? Cos that?s the first of such things I remember watching in low quality mpeg format :p
You're a man of my own heart.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Gordon_4 said:
Does Red vs Blue count? Cos that?s the first of such things I remember watching in low quality mpeg format :p
Red vs Blue is like the 1st big web content thing I remember. I grew up on the classics like X-Men, Batman TAS, Ducktales, Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck, Animaniacs, Simpsons (when it was good), etc.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
We're adults, discussing web cartoons and Red vs. Blue.

...you ever wonder why we're here?

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Homestar Runner was my first. I've seen every video on that site many, many times.

Later in middle school I got into stuff like Joe Cartoon and stuff on Albino Blacksheep like the Demented Cartoon Show. I remember watching a bunch of stuff on Newgrounds too, like Killing Spree (actually I don't think I ever saw the ending) and Super Mario Bros. Z (which I've recently heard the creator is finally working on again after the fantastic 2016 reboot.)

Hawki said:
We're adults, discussing web cartoons and Red vs. Blue.

...you ever wonder why we're here?
Because most people IRL would give us funny looks if we started bringing up stuff like this.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Drathnoxis said:
Because most people IRL would give us funny looks if we started bringing up stuff like this.
Someone didn't get the reference. :(

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Hawki said:
Drathnoxis said:
Someone didn't get the reference. :(
Nope. If it was from Red vs. Blue I never actually watched it. Some of the people I hung out with were into it, but I was never big on Halo so I gave it a miss.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
So whats going on with red vs blue lately? I tuned out about 2/3 into the original series. Now it has like all the agents named after states or something.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Homestar Runner was probably the first series I got into, and all because someone sent me a link to the most famous Strong Bad Email, 'Dragon'.

For individual ones I rewatched, The Dr. Wily Show, The Last Cataclysm (basically an animated retelling of Mega Man Zero 3, sadly never completed), and A Big Black Guy Named Bass. I wonder if Mega Man sprites were the most commonly used in webcomics back when they were all the rage?

I remember watching Arby n' the Chief fairly early on too.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Haha. At the point I became an adult, the world wide web barely existed beyond a handful of info dump pages by computer-literate hobbyists and discussion forums were via telnet.

WhiteFangofWhoa said:
...the most famous Strong Bad Email, 'Dragon'.
Yeah, that was good.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Marik2 said:
So whats going on with red vs blue lately? I tuned out about 2/3 into the original series. Now it has like all the agents named after states or something.
I stopped paying attention when they actually went for a serious plot. Like instead of goofy hi-jinks, the Red vs Blue war was like some great conspiracy by a shadow government to cover up their use of AI controlled agents, and then they kept introducing badass no-nonsense action ladies(they had like 3) with the exact same personality. It became obvious they were making it up on the fly and just kept adding and adding in the hopes they'll find a ending eventually

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I remember the exact point where I gave up on Red vs. Blue. Season 10, episode 10. I gave up, I made a oneshot about it, people screamed "don't let the door hit you on the way out." What gripes me is that so many people love the Freelancer stuff, and I never got why.

I'm not opposed to RvB having some more story depth than what it started out in. That's why my favourite season is Season 6, because it combined plot and comedy together, and did it excellently. I didn't much care for Season 7/8, but Season 9/10 are when things went off the rails for me. Want to know why?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke9wtbzGjCI

That's why.

People say the fight scene is awesome. I say it's stupid. Why? Well, for starters, it's out of place from the original series, because Tex may be the best of the Reds and Blues, but that's an insanely low bar to jump over. But this? This is over 7 minutes of action, and nothing but action. There's no plot, no character development, the show literally stops just to have an action scene. That was in season 8, but now factor this approach to storytelling in seasons 9/10. A season where every female character is uber and every male character useless,* where entire episodes are just over the top action, where the plot goes completely bonkers. I know people love Monto Oum, and his death was a tragedy, but while I assume his style worked for RWBY (never saw it, but people love it), it just doesn't fit Red vs. Blue. And while I understand the series toned it down post-10, I've never bothered to find out.

*To clarify, girls being better than boys isn't an issue. Tex was the most competent character in the first five seasons. The difference there is that Tex being better was played for laughs - guys underestimate the girl, girl kicks their arses, cue laughs, and the unspoken rule that even Tex herself isn't that competent, she's just more competent than the people around her. Season 9/10 takes this idea, but extends it to a team of girls being better than guys, and not having any humour to go with it. A team of competent men always surpassing a team of competent women would be just as grating in the same context.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Xiao Xiao No. 3 was probably my first. Man we thought that little stick guy was so cool back then...

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Squilookle said:
Xiao Xiao No. 3 was probably my first. Man we thought that little stick guy was so cool back then...

This makes me remember Animator Vs. Animation.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Home Star Runner, Animator vs Animation, Super Mario Bros Z... That's about all I can actually remember. Depends on the time you define as "growing up" with. What's the upper limit of age?

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
Hawki said:
So, I grew up in the 90s, so web cartoons weren't really a thing in my experience until later in the decade. So while I can certainly cite cartoons in of themselves that I watched, web cartoons though? I certainly remember Homestar Runner, and...that's it.

Might remember more as the thread goes on. I certainly watched copious amounts of machinima in the 2000s, but different medium I guess.
The nineties had at least one web cartoon- ?The Amazing Spider-Man?.