Web-Shooters Appear In Next Spider-Man Film Because Spidey's Smart

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
Parker looks a little too emo. And he dosn't look like he'd be an awkward nerd...

Not extremely interested.

varulfic

Jul 12, 2008
RoBi3.0 said:
varulfic said:
I've never liked the webshooter, the biological web is cooler in every way. The webshooter just seems to undermine the entire point of Spiderman. His most defining superpower is his ability to shoot web and glide around the city. Why even have the part with the radioactive spider if his biggest power has nothing to do with that?
His biggest power is his ability to shoot web? I would have thought it was his super-strength or his super-agility or his ability to stick to walls or his ability to detect danger before it happens. By far his ability to shoot web is his most useless ability without his other power he would just be some punk kid that can money shot for his wrists.

While thematically it is a cool power practically it is a pretty uselessly power on its own.
I said defining, not biggest.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
I find it sad that the mechanical webshooters are just about the positive thing I can say for this film, but that's just based solely on the what I can interpret from the trailer. I'll still go see this, but my expectations will be limited. (And on a discounted matinee price, too.)

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
SpiderJerusalem said:
Jaime_Wolf said:
vansau said:
dreadful first-person sequence at the end that made it seem like someone owed EA an apology for stealing footage from Mirror's Edge.
The sequence looks great and does a wonderful job of driving home Spiderman's main superpower: his mobility. It's very obviously inspired by Mirror's Edge, but that's not at all a bad thing. It gives a really impressive, visceral feeling for what has ever been one of the most visually appealing parts of the Spiderman movies. I'm also getting really sick of the attitude that any similarity to games is theft. Films take inspiration and pay homage to one another constantly and they generally don't have to put up with being accused of theft every time. This attitude gamers have developed is really unhealthy and immature.

And I for one really like the mechanical webshooters. The biological ones were tacky and only served to underscore the attempt to turn Spiderman from a nerd-turned-superhero into Action Hero McSquarejaw. Peter Parker is supposed to be a brilliant dork antihero, not just a supernatural badass.
Inspired, or ripped off?

You can cut and deform the video to make it look like it's just a copy, but in the end that could easily be pretty incidental.

The issue: Try to make realistic (well, realistic for someone with near-superhuman climbing, jumping, and running ability) first-person parkour-style movement that doesn't look like that. It's not even so much that the visuals are inspired by it (I was more trying to suggest that the idea for the shots was probably inspired by it than that the visuals themselves were) as it is that no matter what you do, that's how such first-person movement along rooftops is going to look. That's how rooftops look and that's how bodies slide, jump, etc.

There's also the general issue of talking about things like this as "theft". Assuming I agree that it's near-identical because they went out of their way to replicate the ME trailer, that doesn't change the fact that it's a neat sequence and it seems silly to judge it based on the fact that it's appeared in other media. It's obviously not competing with ME in any significant way, so what exactly is lost by copying what was already a really neat sequence and adding in nifty Spider-Man stuff?

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Erana said:
Who wants to guess how many times running out of web will be used as a plot point?

Just like in the ol' cartoons. :3
Questions!
How does he keep track of how much webbing he has, or does he just hope to god he doesn't run out while in the air?

Also, how long can one web cartridge last, and how long will the webbing take to bio-degrade?

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Erana said:
Who wants to guess how many times running out of web will be used as a plot point?

Three times at the very least. It'll probably be a drama point for all the action sequences and at least once when he's just swinging around town and suddenly runs out.

I'm really dreading this. I dreaded it when it was announced and I was just in slackjawed WTF awe when I saw the trailer and that god-awful first person view section. I really hope that's just trailer fodder and isn't going to be used in the movie. I smell a kids movie.. like Batman and Robin caliber.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
jawakiller said:
Parker looks a little too emo. And he dosn't look like he'd be an awkward nerd...

Not extremely interested.
Well.. Parker always was the king of the emo super heroes. He was even before Spider Man 3 decided to kick it up a notch. Even Batman doesn't spend as much time brooding and feeling sorry for himself as Spidey does. Though I think he looks concerning similar to the guy who was Goku in that DragonBall Z movie crossed with Edward from Twilight. Bad signs.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
The theatrical trailer looks like teen shit, but Twilight has made hugh bank and they'll someone needs a new shit storm to capitalize on that ending.

I hope it was just some horrible editing and the actual movie is better.

laryri said:
James Crook said:
karloss01 said:
James Crook said:
-snip- I can't believe I wrote that much
agreed, they may want to add spider-man to avengers team later.
Also, they're making a Deadpool movie with Ryan Reynolds, maybe it's part of their Avengers project.
Not happening with either. Deadpool, Spider-Man, and the Avengers project are all being done by different movie studios, until Marvel reacquires the film rights to the Spider-Man and X-Men franchises there isn't any crossover happening.
An Avengers team without Wolverine is just ridiculous, damn you FOX. So long as it ends up %50 as good as Captain America I'll be pleased; as good as Captain America and I'll be very happy.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
karloss01 said:
James Crook said:
Wow, all of you just said everything I was about to say, except a few things.
This looks loosely based around the Ultimate Spider-Man comic series, which takes place in an alternate Marvel dimension (Earth-1610 - the Ultimate Marvel dimension), where all of the characters were revamped and had different origins from the original ones. For instance, Peter's dad, Richard Parker, worked in a biotechnological firm and died in an airplane crash, Eddie Brock was Peter Parker's childhood friend and his father also worked for the same firm, in collaboration with Richard Parker, Peter got his powers at the age of 15 during a field trip at the age of 15 during his first year in high school (if you remember, the original got his powers in the year before graduating).

The Ultimate Marvel imprint allowed for a plentiful of crossover stories, and even backstory elements related to the characters' coming of age. There was a subplot involving Peter's break-up with May, and him starting to date Kitty from the X-Men, in a special issue of the comic, that took place between two previously-published crossover series where Spidey and the X-Men fought a bunch of guys (I don't want to spoil anything to you guys).

What I think they're doing is rebooting the Spider-Man movie series using the Ultimates storyline, to accommodate their current series of Iron Man and Fantastic Four movies.
agreed, they may want to add spider-man to avengers team later.
You both are talking about two different studios there. Sony has nothing to do with the Iron Man movies or The Avengers. Both of those are handled by Marvel Studios.
who says that they haven't changed their user agreement to have the sony films fall in line with marvel's.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Erana said:

This is one of the reasons I hated the organic web angle in the original trilogy. Now Spidey has to play it smart and his webbing will probably run out early on against a major villain to demstrate his inexperience at this crime fighting stuff. You can do a lot more with the web shooters.
Right on. The fanboy flame within me burns with hope. If they pull this movie off, I'll be extremely happy. I'd prefer Dark Knight tier, but one really can't get their hopes up that much....

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
OutrageousEmu said:
Imp Emissary said:
Erana said:

Questions!
How does he keep track of how much webbing he has, or does he just hope to god he doesn't run out while in the air?

Also, how long can one web cartridge last, and how long will the webbing take to bio-degrade?
1000 miles of webbing, and 3 hours.
And don't forget that Spidey keeps spare web cartridges in a bet under his suit.

Druyn

May 6, 2010
Ghengis John said:
So the director of the new spider man is named Webb? The irony. Clearly more than a coincidence. Do you think if I changed my last name to Hammer I could direct the next Thor?
I think a certain rapper is already in line ahead of you.