Webcomic Contest Winner: Out of Tens

Apr 28, 2008
Decoy Doctorpus said:
I must admit even I was suprised we won when I saw Manly Men. An excellent strip with excellent art. Hopefully it continues elsewhere.

Thank you all for all your praise. It is like candy to me. I eat it up.

Seriously. Thanks.
You earned it. The comic is hilarious.

My personaly favorite was the Mass Effect 2 page. I can't tell how many times I shouted at my teamates "ITS FUCKING OUTER SPACE! WHY DO I NEED A FULL PROTECTIVE SUIT WHILE YOU ONLY NEED A BREATHING MASK?!"

Ranneko

Mar 23, 2009
The Mass Effect 2 one is amusing but inaccurate, whilst space is cold (in the absence of radiation sources), it also doesn't allow you to radiate heat well. So you aren't likely to freeze to death in space. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SpaceIsCold

That said, you still need protection.

ninjajoeman

Mar 13, 2009
you know the whole space armor thing...that actually could be a cool game mechanic (for guys too) if they had more armor they are less appealing and harder to persuade people. Because seriously do you want to talk to a guy/girl in an hulking armored suit breathing through a very loud space designed respirator?
but on the flip side if your in a thong or man thong...shudders... you get a bullet in your head for wearing a man thong or you just have a very small amount of armor. Well now that I think about talking to a guy in an armored suit breathing through a very loud space designed respirator doesn't sound that bad...

huh that must have made talking to Darth Vader awkward but then again he had a cape.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Hey guys. Keep in mind this wasn't a solo effort and you should send some love towards the artist [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/foxyexplosion] too.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I am glad that a notable Escapist won, and not some yahoo who joined just for the contest.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I like it, it's funny but I think "Manly Guys doing Manly Things" is a bit more original. Still, that Army of Two strip had me in stitches.

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
First three panels were excellent. The fourth was trite and stale. Hope it was a one-off.

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
A Brosplosion so powerful you grow a beard... funny.

Congratulations on your Victory and your Donuts, may both bring you happiness.

ShinningDesertEagle

Oct 14, 2009
The first two pages fell completely flat and bored me. I was thinking this was another crappy webcomic and then-

I read the third page and burst out laughing out loud. How long has it been since a webcomic actually got me to laugh like that?

I salute the cartoonist for producing such fine quality.

Edit: Just read the forth page. Not as funny as the third, but did give me a chuckle. This strip has a bright future ahead.

engineermk2004

Feb 21, 2010
hmmm....
Old by the third comic.

Well drawn, good thought process, but average humor and no story.

I suppose it could have been worse.

As for the honorable mentions:
IM - if I wanted to IM I'd do it myself, but I don't.
Minigames - this almost copies Yahtzee's critisism of what bad webcomics are.
the interwebs - this had escapist written all over it, it was well drawn and worded and was a
good parody of this internet culture.
Manly Guys - Haven't I seen this somewhere before...oh yes, that rule about not using anyone's
characters, right.
The Last Shot - Octavi Navarro, you are the next Gary Larson. Not everyone liked what he
did either. (but I really did)
Robot Viking Ninja Pirates - What? No aliens or zombies? Actually it looked like a story might
have miraculously developed here.
Difficulty up - Sakes alive! This one was well done.
Paused - good writing, but...cut and paste much?
BUM-HUG-PAR-ADE - Writing skills needed, also art lessons, also story, also a need to get out
more.
Fables from the Rift - Great Cesar's Ghost! I'm going to have nightmares now, but this comic
would keep me coming back for more.
Inglorious Slayers - Just No...
Dropped Frames - If I wanted a novel I wouldn't be on the internet. This could have easily been
a prose piece without the comic part.
SMFS - Title too long, did not read comic.
ANUBIS - Not enough substance, but it is nice to see the Egyptian pantheon getting some play.
Girls Don't Game - And stereotypes don't make good comics.
Escapist Radio Theater - If you think gaming subjects would be good for radio, pitch the idea
to a radio station. If you think it would make a good webcomic,
that pitch is likely to come from a mental institution.
Name Game - Nice escape from most of the ordinary here.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
The only one I liked was the army of two one, mainly cause it makes fun of all those hyper-testosterone frat boy centric games - which I really don't like.

prowlingmonkey

Apr 18, 2010
I'm really wondering what happened, did the whole webcomic thing fall through, still working out contract details. It just seems like everyone forgot or something

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Word has it the comic will be going live in the next few weeks. Cory and I are working hard.

[http://www.freeimagehosting.net/]

Or hardly working. I forget which.