Weekend Box-Office: Marvel's Guardians Take Back Top Spot

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
Jandau said:
Well, duh!

First of all, to all you people squealing about the downfall of western civilization when TMNT overtook Guardians on its opening week - of course it did. Guardians was in its second week, TMNT was fresh. If you were to compare Guardians opening week (90 mil) and TMNT opening week (60 mil), you get a much clearer picture. Also, TMNT dropped off dramatically, while Guardians are rolling steadily along for several weeks now, as the word keeps spreading about what a great movie it is, and people are even going for second viewings, while all that's spreading about TMNT is its own stench.

As for why Guardians are so successful, that's also easy - it's good, it's fun, and it's pretty. Rarely is a movie all three of these, with most summer blockbusters being fun and pretty, but not very good. Add to this that its setting and genre isn't exactly overflowing at the moment (not many space opera type films flying around, is there?), it's a breath of fresh air. Funny enough, when I try to recall the last movie that had all three of these, I land on another Marvel movie, Winter Soldier, which also did VERY well at the box office. Funny how that works out, isn't it? Almost like people want something worth seeing before they'll go to a theatre...
Actually TMNT 2nd week drop was lower than GotG's 2nd week drop at least in the USA also budget and marketing wise TMNT is already profitable GotG not so much but maybe in a few more weeks.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Sanunes said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Also, that thumbnail is kinda spoilery as fuck.
How? Its from the first trailer, for its different in the movie itself.
I think he means the one on the main page, of mini-Groot. I wouldn't exactly call it spoilery "as fuck" (not like it's a major plot element), but it is a little bit spoilery.

Edguy

Jan 31, 2011
youji itami said:
Edguy said:
..to become the biggest hit of 2014.
Uhm Bob, forgetting a certain fantasy movie coming out later this year?

Also, let's not forget that Transformers has done over $800M internationally :)

Transformers AoE has done over $1 billion internationally.

And as usual if a film he likes does shit in the US but good internationally then only internationally matters but if the reverse is true only US matters.
I meant over 800M outside of America :]

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
youji itami said:
Jandau said:
Well, duh!

First of all, to all you people squealing about the downfall of western civilization when TMNT overtook Guardians on its opening week - of course it did. Guardians was in its second week, TMNT was fresh. If you were to compare Guardians opening week (90 mil) and TMNT opening week (60 mil), you get a much clearer picture. Also, TMNT dropped off dramatically, while Guardians are rolling steadily along for several weeks now, as the word keeps spreading about what a great movie it is, and people are even going for second viewings, while all that's spreading about TMNT is its own stench.

As for why Guardians are so successful, that's also easy - it's good, it's fun, and it's pretty. Rarely is a movie all three of these, with most summer blockbusters being fun and pretty, but not very good. Add to this that its setting and genre isn't exactly overflowing at the moment (not many space opera type films flying around, is there?), it's a breath of fresh air. Funny enough, when I try to recall the last movie that had all three of these, I land on another Marvel movie, Winter Soldier, which also did VERY well at the box office. Funny how that works out, isn't it? Almost like people want something worth seeing before they'll go to a theatre...
Actually TMNT 2nd week drop was lower than GotG's 2nd week drop at least in the USA also budget and marketing wise TMNT is already profitable GotG not so much but maybe in a few more weeks.
Yeah, not really surprised that the 2nd week drop was lower for TMNT, since it opened about 50% lower - less room to drop. Also, Guardians is again ahead of TMNT, despite TMNT being fresher. And I have no idea where you get the Guardians not being profitable, while TMNT supposedly being superprofitable.

And none of that was the point - I was mainly decrying last week's article and responses to it where people were heralding the downfall of civilization without taking numbers in context...

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
YEAH! Great news for Guardians and nice for TMNT that it's not on top!
"Also, while no one was expecting Robert Rodriguez's Sin City sequel to be a breakout hit almost a decade after the original, its meager sixth place debut will likely mark it as one of the year's more notable flops."

Guess the audience agrees with me that part 1 was crap?

Zombie Badger

Dec 4, 2007
The thing with YA adaptations like TFIOS is that they are only successful because of their large fanbases which turn out to see them. This is why their box office falls off sharply in the second week and why their success is not in any way related to their quality: Twilight, Hunger Games and TFIOS succeeded while Beautiful Creatures, The Host and Mortal Instruments didn't.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
webkilla said:
I can only say two things:

Oooooga Chacka!
I AM GROOT.

OT: Mess with MY childhood, will ya, Bay? Take that! Faux turtles beaten by dancin' Pratt!

RavenTail

Oct 12, 2010
Edguy said:
youji itami said:
Edguy said:
..to become the biggest hit of 2014.
Uhm Bob, forgetting a certain fantasy movie coming out later this year?

Also, let's not forget that Transformers has done over $800M internationally :)

Transformers AoE has done over $1 billion internationally.

And as usual if a film he likes does shit in the US but good internationally then only internationally matters but if the reverse is true only US matters.
I meant over 800M outside of America :]
It's still a pretty big accomplishment to come at a close second with a fairly obscure license going up against a widely known one.

Dirkie

Feb 3, 2009
I don't go to many movies in cinema, and usually when I do, the audience is quiet. It was the first time for me that there was genuine laughter and "Whoohoo" shouting for a movie, but then again, Guardians of the Galaxy is stupidly fun. Might go for another watching soon. TMNT? Not so much, no urge to go and see that.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Sanunes said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Also, that thumbnail is kinda spoilery as fuck.
How? Its from the first trailer, for its different in the movie itself.
I think he means the one on the main page, of mini-Groot. I wouldn't exactly call it spoilery "as fuck" (not like it's a major plot element), but it is a little bit spoilery.
Fair enough, that picture didn't load for me, so I did the worst thing possible and made a guess that it was the same as the article's image.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
PuckFuppet said:
Good films are popular? Madness.

As an aside Guardians is massively helped by how goddamn personable its leading man is. Visits sick kids in full costume? Check. Spends a good bit of time actually talking to them, including about a previous film with a fan of that film? Check. Arranges a special screening of Guardians for the kids? Check.

Damn son.
Don't forget him doing the ASL ice bucket challenge:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_iCIg2oCCs

The guy has rocketed to public adoration, and it's very well deserved.

I remember the interview he gave months before the film came out about how he wanted to use any fame as a "superhero" to make kids happy and visit sick kids in hospitals and be a good role model.

Seriously, Anna Faris... you lucky, LUCKY woman. Hold onto him. He's definitely a keeper.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Been to see it twice now and if anything it was better on the second viewing. My favourite film in a long time. Initially I waa put off with no Nova but I can see why and where he could easily come into it.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
PunkRex said:
I can't even imagine the party Marvel must be having at this point.

'THEY LIKED THE SPACE RACCOON! WE OWN ALL THIS SHIT!!!'
Thus explaining why they registered any and all web domains surrounding "Squirrel Girl" a few weeks ago.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
So that is justice in the world (now if only that apply to the Missouri situation)!

Also heh, that censor image was not in the film.

SeeDarkly_Xero

Jan 24, 2014
faefrost said:
Thus explaining why they registered any and all web domains surrounding "Squirrel Girl" a few weeks ago.
Is that [http://squirrelgirl.com] what they did? Well that's an interesting take on Doreen.
>_>

Regarding GotG, also note that is has also beaten out Days of Future Past... out-grossing its entire run in only three weeks.

I always believed.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
faefrost said:
PunkRex said:
I can't even imagine the party Marvel must be having at this point.

'THEY LIKED THE SPACE RACCOON! WE OWN ALL THIS SHIT!!!'
Aaaaaaw, but as Fox currently hold the rites they can't give us any on screen sexual tension with Wolverine or Doom getting his ass wrecked by a squirrel flash mob.

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
Jandau said:
youji itami said:
Jandau said:
Well, duh!

Yeah, not really surprised that the 2nd week drop was lower for TMNT, since it opened about 50% lower - less room to drop. Also, Guardians is again ahead of TMNT, despite TMNT being fresher. And I have no idea where you get the Guardians not being profitable, while TMNT supposedly being superprofitable.

And none of that was the point - I was mainly decrying last week's article and responses to it where people were heralding the downfall of civilization without taking numbers in context...

The % of a 2nd week drop has nothing to do with how much it's first week makes, TMNT had a better hold for it's 2nd week than GotG did.

GotG had a $170 million production budget and a $150 million advertising while TMNT has a $125 million production and only a $70 million advertising budget. Profit comes after you make back the budget so TMNT has it easier since it's budget wasn't so excessive.