Weeping Infant Killed For Disturbing Dad's Gaming

Rheinmetall

May 13, 2011
What can one say besides R.I.P for the poor infant... and I hope the killer to be punished with the strictest possible penalty.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
Sober Thal said:
What a sick individual. Kids shouldn't have kids. Shaking an infant to stop them from crying is just horrible.

Am I a jerk for really wanting to know what game he was playing?
Hey, sweeping statement; we're not all shit parents who kill our children like this prick.

I think he was paying something on-line, but regardless, it isn't the games, it's his shitty parenting skills and lack of patience.
Of course a 3-week old is going to cry a lot it's hungry, wants cuddles and your attention over a game, something this guy clearly failed to provide and now he has to live with this for the rest of his life. Whether he feels remorse etc. who knows.

All I know is he's a ****.

The Ubermensch

Mar 6, 2012
Am I a bad person for thinking with the kind of genetic pedigree this poor child had he might be better off dead? 'Cause to those that say "cull the stupids" this is kinda the last stage in that plan.

Yeah, I think I'm a bad person, but fucking hell, A) playing Xbox until 4 am is... ugh! and B) Shaking the damn baby!?! I may be bad, but compared to those kinds of mother fuckers I'm a damn Paragon of humanity.

Therefor Humanity is doomed

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
I have a question that I feel is extremely Important.

If this guy that shook a baby to death was, I duno... baking when the incessant crying drove him crazy, instead of gaming. Would the title of this article be "Weeping Infant Killed For Disturbing Dad's Baking"?

I doubt it. So why, pray tell is the father's pre-baby-shakig-activity relevant?

I think this entire story is an excuse to demonize gaming.

Come on Escapist, you're better than this (Aren't you?) Don't give additional coverage to schlock like this.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
Tiamattt said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
Ever here of innocent until proven otherwise in a court of law? Say something like "In which he shook his three-week-old infant son, leading to the child's death," of a man who has not yet even started a trial and you lose any ounce of credibility you had.

It's shit like this that fucks the system. You see something reported on the news and BAM the guy's guilty. You hear someone say something and BAM you know all the facts. You read one article and BAM you believe it.

The number of times police and (more specifically) the media makes mistakes, you'd think people would learn. Ever read the retractions section of a newspaper? No. Because you don't care about facts. Just sensationalism.

Makes me sick.
If it makes you sick then why are you here? You sound a smart enough person, you most likely already know that news are specifically presented in ways to get people's attention and get them to do things like this. And for pity sake it's a internet forum, what do you expect: 5 pages of "oh I'll just sit here and wait till the trial's over"? It's like going to a *insert your least favorite musician here* concert and then complaining that the music sucks, you know what's going to happen when you clicked that link, you know exactly how it's going to make you feel, but regardless here you are QQing about it.

My advice to you is to avoid things that you KNOW will "make you sick." It's obviously not doing you any good and I can guarantee you that it's not going to stop anytime soon, so it's best if you just clicked on links that you would like better.
It's called criticism. I point out the errors and they learn. You can leave any time you don't like something, if that's your thing. Me? I prefer to actually do something about it and possibly improve the experience.

But hey, sticking your head in the sand and saying lalalalalala works for some people.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
The first phrase says everything "20 year old...".

You shouldn't have kids at that age,period.Kids are for when your over 35 at least in my honest opinion(at least that's what my plan is).I'm 24 and I'm gaming quite a lot.

If you have a baby at such an young age,then maybe you should prioritize better(more baby time than gaming).

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
[/quote]It's called criticism. I point out the errors and they learn. You can leave any time you don't like something, if that's your thing. Me? I prefer to actually do something about it and possibly improve the experience.

But hey, sticking your head in the sand and saying lalalalalala works for some people.[/quote]

You can call it criticism if you like, seems more like making yourself feel bad to try to change something you know for a fact will stay exactly the same. But hey maybe that works for some people.

But since that kind of time wasting isn't my thing, I guess I'll leave you alone to continue your "criticism."

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
As tragic as this is, what does this have to do with video games other than he is one of MILLIONS of people who play them?

Hollywood Reporter doesn't do coverage of every time there is a murder in a cinema theatre of video-rental store, why do sites about video-games cover every tragic story most tangentially related to video games, this only unreasonably associates video games with criminality.

I'm not saying this isn't news worthy, I'm asking The Escapist why this is also not news worthy:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/feb/21/man-shot-latvian-cinema-popcorn

Ooh! Death in a cinema!

Everyone knows that for videogames more than any other media the censors are out to demonise it and actively censor it in ways that we'd never consider for other media forms.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
What Non-Escapists won't take into account when they hear about this:
-The guy is only twenty years old.
-His job is stocking produce, a minimum-wage job.

What Non-Escapists will notice:
-The guy plays video games and was upset because the baby interrupted that.

Let the confusion between causation and correlation be renewed!

notyouraveragejoe

Dehakchakala!
Nov 8, 2008
This is a very depressing thing and the worst part is that I can see this as happening. I'm just wondering whether he was generally this messed up or whether the lack of sleep turned an ordinary guy into the kind who would snap like that. To be fair his sleep pattern was messed anyway so I'd say he was a mess to begin with. Shouldn't have had a kid.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
(Facepalms) Jesus Christ man! Priorities! Also, you're twenty, why do you have children?!?! Gaaah... now I want to bang my head against something... Whoever said "sometimes I think you need a licence to be a parent" wasn't kidding...

Jodah said:
I was going to say I don't want to live on this planet anymore but no...

...What they said.

Soak

Sep 21, 2010
Fuck i'm growing more and more tired of such topics and the way some react to it, but i guess i'll just throw my opinion in the bowl of meaningless garbage as well.
And because someone suggested to me, when I'm writing pages of text as a comment, i should send an index along with it, here it is:

1. Why this is a bad article for the Escapist
2. Another perspective of the man's situation
3. A suggestion how we as a society should deal with it and why some reactions are more than inappropriate
4. A silly alternative

First things first, good job "Escapist", another trolling topic/ misleading headline, because as we might know from the whole stupid "violence and gaming" discussion, that this is (very likely, I'm somewhat conclusive myself considering the scarce evidence) a problem in interrelation with society as a whole, rather than gaming. If this is what you want to get at, ok, but you could line it out better.

As it's already illustrated, in a very macabre and sarcastic way, but whatevs
Abandon4093 said:
As this chart clearly demonstrates.
*snip*
Before the advent of video games, no babies were ever shaken because of emotionally disturbed and frustrated parents.
just as violence, bad family-relations and also resulting killings always existed, and if this father hadn't had gaming, he very likely would've had another hobby as a compensation for his messed up live. And that's (most of the time, not considering psychotics or neurotics, because they completely fall out of our rationality, but i'm working on this subject) the reason for shit like this, fucked up lifes! He was probably cared to less or even to much about by his own parents, very likely has a lack in social education and probably lost the perspective or reason of live, resulting in loosing any resemblance and sympathy for others, falling in a minimalistic, closed pattern as described by the "Orlando Sentinel reports" (considering I don't really know him, those are only hypothesis, a bit dramatised, I won't explain & support this further now, it simply would take to long). It might even be more "simple" as described by
C-Mag said:
I know a lot of people are thinking that this man is some kind of crazy psychopath right now, but he isn't.
*snip*
Therefore I think the topic is misleading. This isn't taking the responsibility from the father, who should be sentenced, it also leaves some to "games", considering they're a part of our society by now, but also leaves some responsibility to ALL OF US.

And that's what leads to the other point, our social system and some comments. At some point, this man's life got fucked up, he couldn't deal with it properly and its result is him killing an infant and he should be sentenced for this, as said, but his sentence should lead to his rehabilitation, or even better, we should implement ways to prevent this, taking our self- responsibility and our responsibility towards each other more serious, reconsider some parts of society, and not rely on short term solutions like example punishment or execution, as suggested by some, which only maintain and support such flawed systems. Personally I'm shocked from some of those suggestions, cause it shows that the suggesting person is not a bit better, if not even worse than the offending father.

When I had to run through several tests (and pay shitloads of money) before gaining the right to take care for a restricted animal, I thought this should be a requirement for every person about to take responsibility of another being, also parents, but no, that would be to easy and also constrain their freedom...

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
To the guy's credit, you usually can't kill children in video games.

Seriously, though, don't shake your baby. It's not an Etch-a-Sketch.

weirdsoup

Jul 28, 2010
And once again, proof that there should be something more in place than just being able to pass the practical exam in order to procreate.

I live in the UK and here, we have to have a license to fish, to own a dog, to drive a car. Hell we even have to have a license to watch TV. But they'll let any fuckwitted moron with a cock being a father.

I'm sure that the news media will take this story and say how evil video games are, no doubt this shithead will use that as his excuse for being a murderer. However, I personally think that excuse is complete bollocks. Nearly every time something comes out and says "this game caused this person to do this" or "this film inspired this person to do that" it makes me want to throw large heavy objects at the person saying it because a lot of the time I've seen that film or played that game, as have a large number of other people, and none of us have gone out and committed an atrocity because of it. The people that do, clearly have issues beyond playing games or watching movies.

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
Young, ignorant, unprepared, and incompetent parents shake their children to death at an alarming frequency. Some children (read: squalling infants) are far from pleasant to have around in their first months of life and some people just don't grasp the fact that their role is caretaker to an entirely dependent creature who will remorselessly demand all of one's attention and resources - including, but not limited to, sleep and sanity.

The fact that this guy happened to be playing video games in an escape mode from that obviously unpleasant and apparently shocking reality is irrelevant to the actions he took against his offspring (probably unwittingly, as unfortunate as that is, because preparation for child rearing is virtually nil in most "modern" societies that portray the act as a pleasant and rewarding, if sometimes difficult, matter of course).

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Zer0Saber said:
I stop trying to think of why anyone would do that. Shake an infant, there is some level of stupid trash that I can not perceive. WTF
It has something to do with a level of frustration with just having to deal with the infant, rather then actual intent to hurt.

VonBrewskie said:
With yah on that one buddy. Child killers deserve to suffer in public. Put that shit on TV so other sick f***s get the message that our society won't tolerate this sort of evil.
That won't help, mate. It didn't work for the Greek Colosseums and it won't work for us. The main reason it didn't work is because humans, in general, will do what they must to achieve what they want, even if it means having to fight a lion as punishment if they don't get away with it. Greeks made it entertainment for the masses, broadcasting it over television could have worse implications since its pretty brutal seeing a dude get killed in any way.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People need to understand that this is not limited to just gamers, but to just people. Some people can not under any circumstance handle themselves around a child. Hell, not to long back a man used a cinder block to kill his baby so that it didn't die of starvation. Mean of him to kill the baby at all? Yes, of course. But there was no guarantee the kid would get adopted and it died as quick as it lived.

People in general can't handle their frustrations well and many will resort to taking out their frustration on the one that is making them frustrated.

IWCAS

Jul 28, 2009
He obvioulsy didn't MEAN to kill it; he took it to the hospital. I know it's still not right but at least he didn't beat the shit out of it and try to hide it. What and ignorant son of a *****. I'm only 17 and I know full well that if you shake an infant, even a little, it will die, and to do this because of video games? I think I'll pin this on pure immaturity. As I read before: "Kids shouldn't have kids" Sober Thal said it I believe.