Weird Allergies

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
Phasmal said:
Bananas.

Also these-
No joke, one of these things almost killed me and ruined my life for two years before doctors could point to that being the thing that was making me pretty-nearly-dead. I was ill for two years, in constant pain, in and out of hospital and ended up having to be taken to A&E with septicaemia because of one of these things. Funnily enough, I joined the Escapist because of being housebound due to being so ill around that time.
Because being around one of those horrible things makes me rip my own skin off.

... I'm not bitter.

hey, i'm allergic to bananas too. first time i see someone else with that

Also, i' mildly allergic to nickel, so my watch is in titanium, with regular watches i have eczema afer a few days

Little Woodsman

Nov 11, 2012
Oh man, where do I start....

Things I'm allergic to by skin contact,
Iodine-oddly enough I can ingest iodine in salt/seafood with no problems, it's only by skin contact that it hurts me.
Hmm, I think that's the only one that I actually have to come in to contact with for it to affect me.

Things that I'm allergic to the mere presence of, never mind skin contact.

Aloe. Which is in *everything* now, so widespread that it's really hard to avoid. Of course when I tell people that I have skin allergies the very first thing that they try to do is slather aloe on me...and if *one* *more* person tries to tell me that I *can't* be allergic to it I won't be held responsible for my actions.

Scented things. This includes cologne, perfume, aftershave, hand/skin lotion, bath/hand soap, laundry detergent, and fabric softener. The only bath/hand soap that I can use is Ivory, and I have to use baking soda for laundry detergent. I also have to spend about 20 minutes cleaning out the machines in the community laundry room where I live before using them.

Bleach/chlorine.

Hydrochloric acid. No, seriously, minute amounts are used as an emollient in some lotions/soaps/cremes/ointments, and most people are just fine with it. Makes me come out in blisters.

Foods that I'm allergic to.

Dairy. Most people who say that they are allergic to dairy actually have lactose intolerance, which isn't quite the same as a true allergy. I have that too, but I also have an actual allergy to dairy products on top of that.

Orange and red food coloring/dyes.

Citrus, tomato, spinach, strawberries, cucumber, onion, most spices.

And the real absolute kicker... generic/house brand forms of diphenhydramine hydrochloride (benadryl). You know, the stuff you take to help counter allergic reactions. (It's actually the dye in the generic forms that I'm allergic to, so I can still use the name-brand, thank heaven.)

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
No allergies here though I am a bit sensitive to (some) tomatoes.
It causes Aphthous stomatitis which stings a bit but goes away after a few days/a week.

Oh, an chocolate as well when taken in excess causes Acne vulgaris though usually only one or two somewhere on my face.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Alcom1 said:
Pinkamena said:
Allergies? I sneeze when I see bright light, like the sun. Wish I was kidding. Does that count?
That would be a <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photic_sneeze_reflex>Photic Sneeze Reflex. It's not an allergy. I have it too.
Weird shit. Seems quite common too, but I've never met anyone with it.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
Honeydew melons make my throat tingle, that's about as allergic I am.

All of you needed to eat more dirt, get cut and bleed more when you were children!

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
Only allergy I'm actually aware of was this one time I used a plastic band-aid on a cut under my clothes, and when I later checked on it I discovered a ring of raised lumps surrounding the outside of the bandage. They were kind of pimple-like little fluid sacs, didn't hurt to pop them and there was no long term effect, but it was very surprising.

I'm unofficially allergic to seafood- I've never been tested for it or anything but damn near any and all seafood that's touched my lips barely makes it to my molars before the gag reflex kicks in. One time I did manage to swallow a prawn, but it came back up pretty quickly.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Chocolate Cake.

No. Seriously! I am not allergic to any of the ingredients, but when you combine them and I eat it I get crippling indegestion, without fail. It is really weird and I don't get it from anything else... It also took me 21 years to realise that the occasional cramping stomach pains I got was linked to post meals that I had eaten chocolate cake/brownie.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
Elementary - Dear Watson said:
Chocolate Cake.

No. Seriously! I am not allergic to any of the ingredients, but when you combine them and I eat it I get crippling indegestion, without fail. It is really weird and I don't get it from anything else... It also took me 21 years to realise that the occasional cramping stomach pains I got was linked to post meals that I had eaten chocolate cake/brownie.
Oh that reminds me, I get tingling in my throat aswell when I eat the lasagne I usually make when I eat the rest the day after (I store it in the fridge and everything).

So odd.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Boris Goodenough said:
Chocolate Cake.

Oh that reminds me, I get tingling in my throat aswell when I eat the lasagne I usually make when I eat the rest the day after (I store it in the fridge and everything).

So odd.
Yeah that is odd... it should keep a day or few! You are definitely heating it enough, right? :S

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
Yeah that is odd... it should keep a day or few! You are definitely heating it enough, right? :S
I have served it around 12 times by now, no one else is getting it, I even ask.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
One of my former friend from High School was allergen to egg. This was brought up when a teacher was serving slice of cake to the whole class and he was the only one who refuse. I pretty much find that weird but in saying so I do hate my foremr friends.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
My friend has an alergy to Soy. yes, that thing that comes in 50% of food products. she has hard time shopping for food. Luckily i am spared such problems.

Kardsymalone

Oct 6, 2014
I've got some weird ones apart from dust
I'm allergic to anti-allergy medicines and Ibuprofen the former ironic the latter deadly

Melon Hunter

Chief Procrastinator
May 18, 2009
Penicillin, but it's nothing major: just stomach cramps/irritation. It was kind of annoying to find out about, though. I had a meal at a fancy restaurant a few days after getting a bout of tonsillitis, and I was barely able to eat anything thanks to my antibiotics! It took a few more spells of illness for me to work out it was the penicillin doing that to me.

Also, one of my friends has a brazil nut allergy. Not that uncommon in and of itself, but he once came out in hives after having Southern Comfort spilled on him in a bar. One of the most specific allergic reactions I think I ever heard of!

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
VanQ said:
I'm severely allergic to pineapple. If I eat even a little bit, my asophogus swells up to a point where I can't breathe anymore. It's happened to me before and waking up in a hospital suddenly after the last memory being eating a delicious pizza wasn't fun.
Ditto on the Pineapple allergy. Oddly enough I found out I was allergic to it thanks to a pizza as well. Further proof, in my mind, that Hawaiian Pizza is evil.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
I've recently discovered that I'm allergic to cheap plated earrings. After a couple of days of wearing them, my earlobes are swollen and they were bleeding a bit.

Goodbye, beautiful a Topshop earrings. :(

How can something so pretty be so evil?

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
I am allergic to dust, milk, fish, hazelnuts, carrots (slightly), some pollen around here, most cats, dogs, horses and other animals
My friend said he was allergic to falu sausage
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falukorv

Silence

Living undeath to the fullest
Legacy
Sep 21, 2014
Country
Germany
Last week I met someone who had a pepper allergy. Kind of weird.

Was psychological though.

BytByte

Nov 26, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:
I have severe dust allergies, so I generally have to wipe down my room every week or so, I remember when I was in school, me and a bunch of other students were tasked with cleaning out a room in woodwork, the dust absolutely wrecked me.

It took ages for them to diagnose this, so I had bad allergic reactions and no one had any idea what was causing it, not a fun time I assure you.

My father is allergic to penicillin, heavily so, has to wear one of those wrist-lets in case he is in an accident and the doctors don't accidentally kill him with the stuff.
Like incapacitated bad or everything is blurry and itchy bad? For yours, your dad's is a bummer too, though