Weird Al's Game of Thrones Pastiche Will Kill You With Laughter

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Weird Al's Game of Thrones Pastiche Will Kill You With Laughter

OK, you have to fight through some Mad Men stuff first. But then let the good times roll!

Yes, it's that magical time of year when 'Weird Al' Yankovic [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136035-2014-Emmy-Nominees-Announced] stole the awards ceremony with his musical Game of Thrones pastiche. Yes, there are some other shows in there too. If you don't care about them, whip through to about 1.35.

Though nominated in several categories this year, George R.R. Martin's series adaptation failed to take home any loot. At least George had the grace to look happy when handed the typewriter. Rumor has it [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136022-George-R-R-Martin-Dislikes-Fans-Questioning-His-Health] he's less than thrilled when people bug him to get the books written, already.

Source: NBC YouTube [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhiJ7gIvgSw#t=197]

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
I love Weird Al, so my expectations where too high I guess.
Just a smile for me, not dying with laughter. :\

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Having seen Weird Al live, this was not his best performance, but I didn't expect it to be. Emmys are a joke anyway to me at least.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Man them Debbie Downers in here.

Thoroughly enjoyed, so much so i watched the GoT part twice :D

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Karloff said:
At least George had the grace to look happy when handed the typewriter.
Didn't catch it the first time watching, but upon receiving the typewriter he tests a key and giggles when it makes the perfect spring noise. That man loves his type writers!

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Hmm yeah, Weird Al can do better, though to be fair, there is such an oversaturation of GoT jokes out there, it must be really hard to still come up with anything fresh.

Mhmh

Oct 12, 2012
Game Of Thrones boobs joke, the lowest of all low-hanging fruits. It kind of feels to me like a summary of Weird-All´s return to public. Well, at least there´s always the old stuff.

Zeriah

Mar 26, 2009
Had a bit of a laugh when they handed GRRM a typewriter in the middle of the Emmy's.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I feel as though he did that specifically for the fans that George gave the finger.

pandorum

Mar 22, 2011
Am I the only one that does not find him remotely funny? I do not get the fuss about him, am I missing something?

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
pandorum said:
Am I the only one that does not find him remotely funny? I do not get the fuss about him, am I missing something?
His heyday was definitely quite a while ago, with only occasional "big hits" in the meantime (like White N Nerdy). Aside from humorous lyrics, he often puts a lot of effort into music videos - pop culture references, science/techie references, and other amusing bits that make them worth watching. He's not as good a musician as Tim Minchin, for example, and his lyrical content is often immature, so many of his songs are bland to the point of not being terribly funny - but he's got enough humorous ones that I've given most of his stuff a listen just to see what's what.

If you were interested (dunno how much of his stuff you've listened to), give these a try: Ode To A Superhero, The Saga Begins, Achy Breaky Song, White N Nerdy (definitely watch the video for this one, plenty of easter eggs), and maybe Pretty Fly for a Rabbi. Eat it and Fat were both popular back in the day as well, but I'm not as much of a fan (shallower lyrics + music videos didn't offer much). It's comedy though, so personal taste pretty much counts for everything. If you're into musical comedy, definitely give Stephen Lynch and Tim Minchin a try - Lynch is a lot closer to Weird Al re: immature lyrics, but some have just hilarious deliveries, and Tim Minchin is the rare combo of "good music" and good comedy mixed into one. Minchin's earlier performances were mostly just standup or him on his piano, but as he's gotten more famous, he started touring with an orchestra, so he's really been able to showcase his prowess as a composer as well as a comedian. (Thank You God on youtube is a good example of a very bombastic orchestral piece by Minchin).

pandorum

Mar 22, 2011
AuronFtw said:
pandorum said:
His heyday was definitely quite a while ago, with only occasional "big hits" in the meantime (like White N Nerdy). Aside from humorous lyrics, he often puts a lot of effort into music videos - pop culture references, science/techie references, and other amusing bits that make them worth watching. He's not as good a musician as Tim Minchin, for example, and his lyrical content is often immature, so many of his songs are bland to the point of not being terribly funny - but he's got enough humorous ones that I've given most of his stuff a listen just to see what's what.

If you were interested (dunno how much of his stuff you've listened to), give these a try: Ode To A Superhero, The Saga Begins, Achy Breaky Song, White N Nerdy (definitely watch the video for this one, plenty of easter eggs), and maybe Pretty Fly for a Rabbi. Eat it and Fat were both popular back in the day as well, but I'm not as much of a fan (shallower lyrics + music videos didn't offer much). It's comedy though, so personal taste pretty much counts for everything. If you're into musical comedy, definitely give Stephen Lynch and Tim Minchin a try - Lynch is a lot closer to Weird Al re: immature lyrics, but some have just hilarious deliveries, and Tim Minchin is the rare combo of "good music" and good comedy mixed into one. Minchin's earlier performances were mostly just standup or him on his piano, but as he's gotten more famous, he started touring with an orchestra, so he's really been able to showcase his prowess as a composer as well as a comedian. (Thank You God on youtube is a good example of a very bombastic orchestral piece by Minchin).
Thank you for that, I am a fan of Tim Minchin, thats why I was confused abut Al. White and nerdy and eat it are really good what happened to him? Just got stale and ran out of Ideas?