Weird computer slow down

Siyano

May 9, 2020
Country
Canada
I have a laptop, when Im home I have no problem with the computer.
When im at work and play on the computer (nearly any game) I get quite a lot of slow down.
what could cause this kind of weird problem?

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I have a laptop, when Im home I have no problem with the computer.
When im at work and play on the computer (nearly any game) I get quite a lot of slow down.
what could cause this kind of weird problem?
Are your games in anyway connecting to the Internet? If I'm playing on Steam, Origin, others, by default, there is a connection.

If you set your computer to play off line, do you still see this slow down at work?

I ask as that should be about the only variable. At work I'd think you more likely to experience congestion and a slower speed.

Siyano

May 9, 2020
Country
Canada
Are your games in anyway connecting to the Internet? If I'm playing on Steam, Origin, others, by default, there is a connection.

If you set your computer to play off line, do you still see this slow down at work?

I ask as that should be about the only variable. At work I'd think you more likely to experience congestion and a slower speed.
im playing offline, like if I play Vampire Survivors at home I can do 20m+ until I get slow down (because the game is just not optimised) but at work, barely 1 minute in, I get a lot of spikes, and even "pause" when playing

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
When you're at work, do you have the AC adapter plugged in? If not, the laptop might be automatically switching to a battery saving power profile when running on the battery, sacrificing performance for longer battery life. This could explain why your laptop performs worse.

Do you you also other software running when you're at work? Because it's also possible your laptop doesn't have enough memory or just general horsepower to run your work software and a game simultaneously.

Reactions: Leg End and gorfias

Siyano

May 9, 2020
Country
Canada
When you're at work, do you have the AC adapter plugged in? If not, the laptop might be automatically switching to a battery saving power profile when running on the battery, sacrificing performance for longer battery life. This could explain why your laptop performs worse.

Do you you also other software running when you're at work? Because it's also possible your laptop doesn't have enough memory or just general horsepower to run your work software and a game simultaneously.
both times is plugged in

and I dont run different software

I plug an additional screen with hdmi at home
I cant see anything that could be different
other than maybe the surface my laptop is on

at home my laptop is slightly elevated on a "stand"
at job its sitting directly on a ceramic looking table
could it be overheating? even when playing something like VS?

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
at home my laptop is slightly elevated on a "stand"
at job its sitting directly on a ceramic looking table
could it be overheating? even when playing something like VS?
It might possibly be a thermal issue. It's a relatively common issue in laptops. If your laptops fan exhausts are on the bottom, putting it down flat on a table might be choking the airflow, enough that it can't sufficiently cool itself. Which in turn could lead to thermal throttling i.e. your cpu and such ramping down their clock speeds so they'd produce less heat.

Fan noise is a good indicator for this. Is your laptop noticeably louder at work than at home? If yes, it's definitely working harder.

If you really want to be sure whether it's a thermal issue, you could download and install Core Temp or similar utility. Run it with the laptop on the stand, then again while flat on a surface. The threshold for throttling 100-105°c for most Intel chips, 95°c for AMD.

Last edited:
Reactions: gorfias and Worgen

Siyano

May 9, 2020
Country
Canada
hmm, I guess, im going to bring my metal mesh stand from home next day and see it if makes a difference

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Seems like something weird is going on. I wouldn't think it's thermals on a game with such low specs to play, especially just after a minute. I would open up Task Manager and see what's pinging your CPU, RAM, Network, GPU, etc.