Weird game "habits"?

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
When stealing is an option, I must steal everything that can be stolen.
When multiple characters, classes, races, options or other insignificant customization options exist, I must start over repeatedly and decide which path/options I like best.

auron200004

Oct 12, 2010
Reload after every kill every time. Even if another enemy is in the midst of blowing my face open, I will reload my gun before attacking him. Games like Bioshock and Dead Space have done that to me, so when I played a brief stint of Call of Duty, I HAD to take sleight of hand as a perk because otherwise I would be killed constantly while in the middle of reloading.

NightmareExpress

Dec 31, 2012
I don't know if any particular game did this, or if was just me as an individual from an era where you couldn't save at your leisure playing games where it was finally a thing...but I find that I often save a bunch. Perhaps a bit too much at times. Being a perfectionist also doesn't help.

Demonjazz

Sexually identifies as Tiefling
Sep 13, 2008
I must collect everything in Castlevania games and explore every nook and cranny. The worst case was in Harmony of Dissonance where there are two realms and all the collectibles are furniture you can put in a select room in the castle

DazBurger

May 22, 2009
x-Tomfoolery-x said:
-snip
In Halo, I make a habit of trying take vehicles into buildings or pretty much any area where they don't belong.
I have a challenge for you then!
I once found out, that it was possible to bring my beloved hog with me inside the Scarab in Halo 2.

Bet ya them covies didnet see that one comming.

PuffinBox

Aug 29, 2011
The typical OCD and refusal to sell anything that if not clearly junk.In stealth games, constant reloading if I feel I was not stealthy enough.

Though the ones even I find weird:
-I will always try to have a pistol with me.
-If the game has health potions I will refuse to use them.
-I make a separate file for every time I save if the game allows me to.

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
In Skyrim I hoard everything that may be of use later down the line. Key word is "may".

In dialogue heavy games I click every available piece of dialogue and then proceed to skip it.

Zeldias

Oct 5, 2011
Learn every ability (except for something that is ultra-useless), kill every enemy. And most of the NPCs if possible.

I also have a hard time not killing NPCs that beg for mercy (which subsequently made it impossible to beat Abe's Odyssey). It's just too delicious.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
In rpgs and such i tend to accumulate level ups so as to get more then 1 skill point/talent point/whatever to play with.
I dont like taking baby steps on a stat screen basically, it does lead to game being harder depending on how far levels up are, but well its a habit.

Otherwise what else...

Oh yeh in rpgs (again), if given the option i tend to make a character as close to me as possible for easier immersion.
Its only in subsequent runs i vary it up. Im one of those who contributed towards mass effect series being mainly played by male shep soldiers :(

Otherwise its all rather classic, i find it frustrating in most games to progress to next area if i havent discovered all the collectibles/secret i want to discover (so to use tomb raider as an example: tombs and relics, id be annoyed when realizing i needed an upgrade from later in the game and would go back to that area asap as soon as i got it, didnt care for the gps caches though so those didnt count in my book).

Jaded Scribe

Mar 29, 2010
In WoW, I still push for achievements on my hunter. As though the account wide logging wasn't there. Be easier on my Mage? My Shaman? Nope. Has to be my hunter or it doesn't count.

The only exception is if I ever try to chase the BG/Arena ones. PvP is not my thing. I'm willing to go with the face roll class of the month.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
In dungeon crawlers or Borderlands/Fallout style games, I have the tendacy to pick up as much stuff as possible off the ground or off the corpses of enemies that is deemed useful, especially health and ammo which I hoard.

jelock

Nov 29, 2009
If I have a character class choice I always play the Warrior style class. I cant stand the idea of picking things off from away all the time. I like to get up close and hit things in the face or take them out with assault / heavy weapons.

Bigbomb94

Sep 3, 2011
Constantly reloading my gun.

Search the entire area for any sort of collectible until I have made sure I've gotten everything. Then get pissed off when I find out I missed something.

Shooting the arms off of a flood in Halo Combat Evolved and have them follow me, seeing as they desperately try to attack me but can't without their arms.

Also in Halo Combat Evolved, whenever you melee a dead elite, pretty much a fountain of blood would come spraying out and all over the floor. I would melee a single corpse multiple times to see how much of a mess I would make. This actually lowers the framerate a lot.

TheRocketeer

Intolerable Bore
Dec 24, 2009
It takes just around 100 stacks of Pre-War Money to fill a bathtub in Fallout 3 or New Vegas, although a little more doesn't hurt to really give it that stuffed appearance.

I know this from giddy experience.

Broderick

May 25, 2010
Im with the "SEARCH ALL THE THINGS!" and "clear out the whole map" crowd. Also if I know there are named "special" weapons in the game(example: "Lucky" from fallout: new vegas) then I have to get it, even if I am not going to use it.

Horon

Apr 19, 2010
Mine would probably be crouching when I hit the ground in most First Person games. The origin of this would probably be Halo PC, where crouching as you hit the ground negates impact damage. Hence I would use it when I jump off of really tall shit to get away without getting hurt.

Didn't help against midfall damage from falling for too long though...