Weird stuff you discovered about a game long after playing it

Poerts

Nov 18, 2009
So, I just now discovered that multiplayer in FF6 is a thing that exists (and it's now a thing that I NEED TO DO) and was honestly pretty blown away by that. What about the rest of you? Any moments likes this? any weird things about a favourite game that you didn't find out about until after playing it?

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
There's a person on YouTube called MarphitimusBlackimus [http://www.youtube.com/user/MarphitimusBlackimus] who uploads videos of Half-Life features occasionally. Until I watched some of his videos, I had no idea that cockroaches reacted to barnacle tongues and Vortigaunts were originally capable of healing and resurrecting each-other. Hound-Eyes also have pack leaders and create more powerful shock waves in groups, apparently. Fascinating stuff.

His Half-Life playlist is here: Half-Life Fact Files [http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDmcwfn8y0lMtlqcpUhggk0FB1EC2i3iB]

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Many of the indirect segments of Deus Ex: Human Revolution's area designs. There were quite a few sneaky areas in the first real "level" of the game that I just completely missed the first time I played the game because I was so used to the most direct path being the only way to proceed. And the first time I played, I snuck into the back of the police station and had to basically take out the entire building, whereas the second time I just talked my way through the front door.

Such a great game.

There are almost certainly many more, but I've played so many games that I can hardly keep straight all of the ones I played last year alone, say nothing about over my entire life.

Oh, wait, I've got another one.

In Sonic's first stage of Sonic Adventure 2: Battle (at least the HD re-release, I can't easily verify the original Gamecube or Dreamcast versions), "City Escape", there's a spot shortly before the second massive downhill road (I think) where you go up a flight of stairs and hit bouncy springs which lead to another set of stairs between small outcroppings where enemies fly down as you run past them. If you spin dash on the first flight of stairs, Sonic will overshoot the bouncy springs and transition into an actual wallrun up to the second flight of stairs. It's the only spot in the game where I've seen the player be able to make Sonic wallrun without the level architecture automatically pushing you into it beforehand.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
This

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-28-final-fantasy-9-sidequest-discovered-after-13-years

Amazing how it went unnoticed for so long!

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I didn't know about the meatbowl challenge thing at Aiya in Persona 4 until my second playthrough... You know, the best way to gain points for every attribute at the same time?

And I call myself a Persona 4 fan...

Oh and the fact that you can sleep with Benny in Fallout: New Vegas went unnoticed until my 10th character or so and I was so confused... There are so many ways to deal with him, including being a true femme fatale and stabbing him in the back right after.

I will hunt you down guy who almost killed me and either A. go full sappy love at first sight crap at you or B. hatch an elaborate overly complicated sexy plan at you. Just pulling a gun on him in a bar is too mainstream anyway.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
wombat_of_war said:
drinking continuously in fallout 3 and new vegas occurs when you hold down the button. its something you apparently only learn on this website, in these threads and i know someone will read this and go "i didnt know that" haha
Yep. I posted this on Reddit a few months ago and hit the front page within an hour, and had my inbox filled with messages. Same thing a year or two ago on this site and again, inbox filled with messages. It's amazing that so many people STILL don't know about this.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
I found out in ICO that you could attack the Queen in the game if you have that master sword in your hand when you run up to her. The blocks are only there to keep you from being turned to stone, but having the sword also negates that endgame feature. Suddenly, the boss can be beat in 5 minutes instead of 10, for me.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
There's a lot about Dark Souls I didn't know. People make about 93 damn videos about 10 little tid bits the designers put into the game and the list just keeps going.

There are a lot of "10 things you didn't know about Dark Souls" videos but this one about vagrants stood out to me.

I've encountered one black evil vagrant in my 2 years playing this game, but good ones?! That drop actual useful items?! The designers/programmers behind this game sure were cryptic when it came to the littlest of touches.

Liquidprid3

Jan 24, 2014
That there are mini ants that move around on tree stumps in Skyrim. Didn't blow my mind, but it's great attention to detail. Little stuff like this makes a game feel more real.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
There a few instances of this in Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. I use that game as an example as I have been playing it recently. Toward the end of the third level, you meet a character known as Monsoon. During the introduction you are given first-person control of your camera as you listen to Monsoon go on about memes and such. While he is talking, move your camera to the far right and watch one of the cyborgs:

I love this freaking game.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I didn't know you could hijack Atlas Mechs in Mass Effect 3, whenever you see one until my... fourth or so playthrough. I was in a really tough fight and losing badly, when my friend next to me says "Hey man, just hijack that mech." I paused the game and turned to him in total shock and asked him "How in the hell do you that?" I hijack almost every Atlas Mech now.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
Many of the indirect segments of Deus Ex: Human Revolution's area designs. There were quite a few sneaky areas in the first real "level" of the game that I just completely missed the first time I played the game because I was so used to the most direct path being the only way to proceed. And the first time I played, I snuck into the back of the police station and had to basically take out the entire building, whereas the second time I just talked my way through the front door.

Such a great game.
I talked my way into the police station the first time, but I've also hacked my way in and found an open entrance in. Now that the game is built like this is awesome in its own right, but the fact that it rewards you for finding the different paths really makes you want to seek them out. I wasn't sure if I wanted that game, but I bought it on day one and I didn't regret it for a second.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
Left 4 Dead originated from Counterstrike.

Valve discovered it was really fun playing a small team of soldiers with guns against very large groups of computer-controlled terrorists armed only with knives. When so limited, terrorists simply run directly at the soldiers, heedless of their own mortality. Someone said they behaved like zombies. Poof, a new game was born.

Given that I love Left 4 Dead, yet have a deep-seated loathing for Counterstrike, this was certainly weird to me.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
wombat_of_war said:
drinking continuously in fallout 3 and new vegas occurs when you hold down the button. its something you apparently only learn on this website, in these threads and i know someone will read this and go "i didnt know that" haha
Well... I guess that qualifies as something I found out long after playing a game. Good to know.

Also, the recent Game Grumps playthrough of Punch-Out! for the Wii has taught me that you can press the minus button when you're about to be KOed to save yourself once. Would have been nice to know the first time I played it...

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
That a dot appears in the middle of your reticule if you aim at an enemy's head in the Halo games, and that on the Assault Rifle there's an indicator which changes angle depending on where you look.

AlotFirst

Mar 29, 2011
Elfgore said:
I didn't know you could hijack Atlas Mechs in Mass Effect 3, whenever you see one until my... fourth or so playthrough. I was in a really tough fight and losing badly, when my friend next to me says "Hey man, just hijack that mech." I paused the game and turned to him in total shock and asked him "How in the hell do you that?" I hijack almost every Atlas Mech now.
Wait, what. You can hijack Atlas mechs? I thought the only mech you could operate was on the Grissom Academy. Do you need some Tech Ability to do it?

x EvilErmine x

Cake or death?!
Apr 5, 2010
AlotFirst said:
Elfgore said:
Wait, what. You can hijack Atlas mechs? I thought the only mech you could operate was on the Grissom Academy. Do you need some Tech Ability to do it?
No but a high damage weapon that's accurate is a big help, I suggest using a Widow or a Mattock. Bring down the shield and then aim for the cockpit (the orange glass) hit it hard, eventually it will crack and you can then get a headshot on the pilot. Take him out and claim your prize, it'll be a little beat up but it still packs a hell of a punch and can take a bit of a pounding. Shiny!

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
This one is just more of an embarrasing than weird... but I actually played through Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance twice without knowing that you could use a second recall potion from town to teleport back to where you were... I spent hours recalling to town, selling stuff and then running all the way back to the front line, looking at all the dead bodies I had killed on the way. It must have added hours to my total play time! :/