Weird Things Your Pets Do

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
I would like to think that a lot of the Escapist members have pet. I'm also sure that those of us who have them generally love them, but they sometime do stuff that makes us question what the hell goes through their minds. For example, one of my cats likes to lick plastic bags. This is something she only started doing within the last year. Any plastic bag or wrapping that's left where she can get it will end up licked my her at some point or another. I've even seen her lick the trash bags a few times.

Please share with us what oddball things your pets do.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
our family dog used to scoot along the carpet on her tummy, back and fourth and sometimes on her back going "arrrrrghhoooo"

she maybe liked it scratching her belly or something, apparently she does it for attention

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
My kitties go meow! My cat is very weird... by very weird, I mean he's a massive asshole. My Cat does the stupidest of things just to piss me off. For the longest time, I had a whole bunch of Magic: The Gathering cards laying in that open space under a nightstand. At first when my cat messed with them, I thought it was an accident. After he caused multiple messes, I had enough and cleaned it up. Leaving only a few cards about. That night, my cat wants in my room. I open the door and he heads straight to the cards, knocks them out, then wants out again. He also will start biting you randomly when you pet him, while purring the entire time. And finally, one time for an entire week, he would jump up on my bookshelf and just stare at the wall for at least an hour.

My other cat has the same deal as yours. He chews on plastic bags for no reason.

My cats pretty much enjoy making my life a living hell, but I still love them.

Michel Henzel

Just call me God
May 13, 2014
My cat doesn't like to eat fish, or meat, or wet cat food, or any kind of nice treat. He seriously only cares for his kibble, oh and my really sour yoghurt, he really loves that yoghurt. Well atleast he is a cheap cat.

Mezahmay

Dec 11, 2013
One of my cats aggressively headbutts me whenever I sit down in the living room until I pet her. Then I do. It's roughly a 50/50 chance whether the next thing she does is fall over and expect me to rub her belly while she gently kneads the air or hiss at me and walk away. Never met another cat that did that before.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
One of my cats, Pippin, likes to sit in the bath tub. He also likes to jump on my back and just ride around on my shoulders until I have to push him off. (he does this whenever I sit on the toilet since he has a good vantage point from the windowsill, where he also likes to sleep.)

My other cat Loki likes to sleep right on top of me while in bed. This wouldn't be so weird but I always sleep on my side so he's always weirdly balanced. He likes to flex his paws into my face and sometimes gives me kisses. :3

BadNewDingus

Sep 3, 2014
I recently brought in this stray cat. I believe he was just abandoned after he grew out of his kitten phase, because he is well groomed and didn't even have worms. I named him Charlie from Always Sunny. Anyways, the weirdest thing he has ever done was probably attack my wooden floors. I thought it was the sunlight from the windows, but he did it when it was dark too.

Weresquirrel

Aug 13, 2008
I have two cats, one of them is curious in that she loves to lick people's necks. If I'm sitting at the computer she'll jump on to my lap and immediately start licking my neck.
The other one is a weird one as well. She likes to ride around on my back. If I bend over to pick something up, I'll feel a thud on my back and she's there rolling around on my back.

Twintix

Jun 28, 2014
Lots of cats here at the start. Let's throw in some more!

My cats don't do anything too weird, but my oldest cat sometimes growls at me when it's time for her to go outside. And the middle cat plays with everything that falls on the floor. And I do meaneverything.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
I had an American Eskimo that would run right for the door and bark and jump and be generally excited as hell to see me whenever I got home from work.

She simply would not calm down until I took my boots off, at which point she'd spend the next 2 or 3 minutes with her face buried in my boots.

I know it's a scent/territory thing.

It was still weird.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
My pets seem to love stacking on top of each other, so the dog will go lie down of a nap, then a cat will climb on top of him to take a nap, and then another cat will go climb on top of them to nap at the very top... it's real strange.
Doesn't work out when the dog tries to be on top since he is about 10x heavier.

Also had an old cat that was too fancy to stick his head into a bowl like some philistine, no he would sit at the bowl and pick food up with his claws to eat out of his paw, he look like a real snobby cat doing it. The even more extraordinary thing was that within days the other cats observing him learned to do the same, but you know with less class.

D.j. Wellborn

Sep 20, 2012
Oh my god, where to begin. I got four cats and they all do weird, random shit.

My first cat Midnight loves people, hates other cats including her own children. She goes out of her way to smack them around once in a while. One time my cat Arp, her son, was eating and minding his own business when he stopped and stared into the living room for like, thirty seconds straight and then suddenly Midnight bolted out of the living room and smacked him. No idea why just did. She does it with everybody except our other cat Ripley. It's not her fault though, she got hurt by a tom before and now she's scared of other cats or something. One time She saw a cat outside and her tail was all fluffy and i tried to scoot her away from the door with my foot so i could close it and she whipped around and bit me. Now it looks like i got a snake bite on my leg! Another weird thing she does is it doesn't matter how happy she is getting affection from you once you start to tickle her back feet it's full out war on your arm. She likes her belly getting rubbed just don't touch those back feet if you value you skin not to mention the sounds that come from her. you'd think i had her strung up by her tail. But if you grab her harness you're instantly her favorite person again. as soon as she sees it she stands still until you put it on and once you do she's at the door before you can blink. she loves going outside and she loves car rides. One more thing is she wears this collar that's super loose and she can take it off anytime she wants but she likes it so she keeps it on. That is up until you use it against her like to yank her off the counter. Then she slips it off and hides the damn thing where i can't find it for a month.

She's the weirdest. i think it has something to do with the colony of ear mites she had when we found her. probably ate a few chunks of brain.

My other cat Arp hates me, loves my mom. She can pick him up with no problem and yet when i pick him up i'm lucky if he doesn't hiss at me. he doesn't try to hurt me or anything and he's totally happy once he's settled but that initial grabbing pisses him off. He also refuses to go to sleep until i go to bed at night. until i do he sits on my bed and watches me and if i leave my room he follows me around the house until i'm back.

My third cat Tux used to hate being touched and always begged for attention and then we got her fixed and now she lo0ves being touched and begs for attention. Its cute at first until you're trying to kill a boss in a game and she decides your attention should be on her and not a glowy shooty screen. She also loves to be clean. after you touch her she spends an hour grooming or getting Ripley to groom her. Tux also loves people unless it's my best friend. I had never heard her hiss or growl until she met my friend.

Last but not least is Ripley, named after ellen ripley because he was born with funnel chest and i could help but make chest burster joke. He used to be underweight because no matter what kibble we gave him he barely ate it so now were forced to feed him wet food and every time i miss a feeding he pisses on my bed. asshole. he also has a weird thing with smelling stuff. if you make him smell a grape he's fine but god forbid he smells a strawberry. He's literally run away from something my other cats love smelling including cat nip. every time i pull it out and i let him sniff he's out of there. some of the most normal things will send him packing and you wont see him again for a good half hour.

My cats are strange and there's a whole lot more about them but it's 3 am and i think this is enough.

PS. Yes i am a crazy cat person

PPS I forgot about my birds but they're assholes so fukem'

seris

Oct 14, 2013
my cat fetches paper balls like a dog, and some times he just sprints through the house for no reason then bites and paws at you

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
My cat doesn't do too many odd things, but he does get kinda psycho anytime I eat Raisin Bran around him. He goes after it like most cats go after catnip, it can be very violent.

He also jumps up & grabs my hand & holds on enough that I can pick him up without ever bending down. All I have to do is hold out my hand & flex my fingers a bit & he jumps up, wraps his paws around my wrist & puts his head in the palm of my hand. I don't pull him up by his head, that would not be good, he holds his own weight with his paws. I will get a video of this one day.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Our dog occasionally feels the need to maul her bed in order to make it more comfy. She doesn't even change the shape of it while doing this, she just scratches it a bunch while rolling around in it. She looks like she's having the time of her life. I think this might be pretty common for small dogs (or just dogs in general) since our last dog did it too.

She also loves snow. The first time we brought her to our cabin, there were some really big snow drifts. She jumped into one and was completely submerged. She then get leaping out and diving back in at different spots.

Also, she knows that people fall for her cuteness so if you're wanting her to do something that she'd rather not do, she stares up at you, rolls over, and then paws at you to pet her. It's a adorable.

Crazy dog.

Malkav

Jan 17, 2012
When my cat hears me leave my room upstairs, she often runs up the side of the stairs like a squirrel and makes funny noises. When someone is down there, they usually think she wants to greet me, but she always runs past me. She'll then just randomly wander off or sit there, and she'd avoid being touched more than usual. She only does that with me.

My parents cat didn't like me at all, but some times, he would randomly decide to come to me and let me pet him. He'd purr for some time, and at some random point, he'd bite me really fast while he's still purring, then run from me and hiss. He did that over a dozen times and it always ended the same way. His teeth barely touched me but he'll be in freakout mode.
Normally he just avoided me.
When you gave him something special to eat, he'd usually run off with it behind a couch, then eat it as loudly as he could, while purring, while growling at the same time. It's one of the dumbest sounds I heard an animal make.

Guy_of_wonder

Aug 28, 2014
My family's black cat, Pepper, attacks her own back legs and ends up doing mid-air front flips. She also sometimes chases her tail like a dog.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
my dog licks peanut butter off my balls

Our horses eat every plant they can find. Most notably, this big beautiful plant that was just sprouting flowers. it was over 6 feet tall, almost the same in width, and 2 feet the other way. It's branches were the thickness of 2-3 thumbs. The horses ATE the branches along with the rest of it. It's nothing but a tiny stub or broken branches now. The bastards.

The male horse also likes to knock over the patio furniture. Why? Because he's an arsehole.