Weirdest unneccesarry things you do in games.

Lerasai

Aug 14, 2010
With Fallout 3, NV and Oblivion I am a major hoarder, I feel like the NPCs would be giving me an intervention if they were anything more than dead-eyed puppets. When playing rpgs in general, I always equip whichever armor looks better over what has the best stats. I know surviving to the end of the game is more important than looking awesome doing it, but you know what? I'm a girl an artist vain.

Zeh Don

Jul 27, 2008
I think I play The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and Fallout 3 a little... weird.

Firstly, I collect all unique or 'named' items in the game. All of them, without question. I arrange them in my house as a sort of musuem of the oddities of the world - I refer to this as "the collection". I also have one set of each type of armour, one of each type of weapon, etc. It is essentially a catalogue of every single item created within the game.

Secondly, in Oblivion I don't sell any Magic Items. I keep them all and transport them all to Frost Crag Spire for storage. At last count, I have well over 9,000 magical items stored. In Fallout 3, I collect all Nuka Cola Bottles and items. Regardless of where it is, I get it and bring it back to my house.

Thirdly, I don't use storage containers. All of my items are stored out in the open, so my vast collection is visible at all times.

Forthly, I never 'fast travel' or 'wait' - I walk everywhere, never walk away from a fight, and transport any items I've collected to my storage location the old fashioned way; manually transporting them on foot.

Fifthly, I maintain a strict "weight to value" ratio rule on looting. In Oblivion, this leads me to killing bandits and steal their shoes - which have the best ratio in the game. This also ensures I have more than enough money at any point in the game for anything.

Lastly, I clear every dungeon, cave, shrine, bunker, building, camp, etc., in the game. I leave no stone unturned. For Oblivion, this meant manipulating the Oblivion Gate Encounters by wondering around the environment to get them to spawn. There are 100 Oblivion Gates that will spawn over time through the game world, including all story related ones. I've cleared them all, and collected everything from them.

One final note: I've completed a full collection for each game three full times. From scratch.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
nbamaniac said:
munx13 said:
Reloading after shooting a single bullet.
This

Gigatoast said:
Spamming quicksave like every 5 seconds, even when there's no enemies around. God forbid I die and have to walk an extra 3 feet.
and this
It would be unusual not to do this.

In the Alien vs Predator games, I deliberately waste ammunition making sure the enemies that are clearly dead/dying are dead. Sort of a hold over from movies, where you don't just use one bullet to take someone down, but the entire clip. Careful ammo preservation be damned.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
A few, but my most favourite quirk was amassing a huge stack of Pre-War Money in Fallout 3, and piling it high on my penthouse table.

Zeh Don said:
I think I play The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and Fallout 3 a little... weird.

Firstly, I collect all unique or 'named' items in the game. All of them, without question. I arrange them in my house as a sort of musuem of the oddities of the world - I refer to this as "the collection". I also have one set of each type of armour, one of each type of weapon, etc. It is essentially a catalogue of every single item created within the game.

Secondly, in Oblivion I don't sell any Magic Items. I keep them all and transport them all to Frost Crag Spire for storage. At last count, I have well over 9,000 magical items stored.
Thirdly, I don't use storage containers. All of my items are stored out in the open, so my vast collection is visible at all times.

Fifthly, I maintain a strict "weight to value" ratio rule on looting. In Oblivion, this leads me to killing bandits and steal their shoes - which have the best ratio in the game. This also ensures I have more than enough money at any point in the game for anything.

Lastly, I clear every dungeon, cave, shrine, bunker, building, camp, etc., in the game. I leave no stone unturned. For Oblivion, this meant manipulating the Oblivion Gate Encounters by wondering around the environment to get them to spawn. There are 100 Oblivion Gates that will spawn over time through the game world, including all story related ones. I've cleared them all, and collected everything from them.

One final note: I've completed a full collection for each game three full times. From scratch.

None of that is unusual. I've done it. Still do. Morrowind was even better for it.

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
In Oblivion, I got into the habit of switching out of Dark Brotherhood armour and into civilian clothes. Don't know why. In Crysis 2, I like grabbing people and trying to throw them over cover to their on their backs with their legs in the air, which DOES NOT make me a paedophile, OK?

beniki

May 28, 2009
In Guild Wars, I always take Gwen with me in every single party. And make her wear the night gown. And I refuse to play the Hearts of the North missions.

If I don't play it, it never happened.

maxriderules

Mar 26, 2011
I always reload if I'm not in direct combat, And always go for headshots. I don't mean just in games like SC:C, where headshots are useful. I mean I'll play through Halo wars, and if I use any leader ability, I'll take the time to zoom in so that it doesn't get a body shot.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
In action adventure games, all smashable objects must be smashed before i leave the area, boxes, vases, crates cower before me.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
If I ever come across a small open flame. Such as a camp fire, a burning barrel.

I'll jump right into it.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I just killed a pack of Deathclaws in an abandoned trainyard 'because there might be some duct tape.'

There wasn't

Sigh.

I think im addicted to making weapon repair kits.

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
Play any halo game on Heroic without picking up any covie weapons. Really missed the Plasma Pistol while I did that.

Teixas

Dec 27, 2010
doing the last caimpaign match on Ut 2k4 on godlike and only using the melee weapon(DM-HyperBlast)

(5/15 lost ofc xD)

BodomBeachChild

Nov 12, 2009
I do sandbox game missions (GTA, TES) at certain times of day. When I get a feeling I know what I'm going to have to do something I would never do in day I wait till dusk in the game to get my mission and carry it out at night. Like in GTA4, I never see Ray during the night at his restaurant because I feel that everything is out of place. I don't know why.

Cheesus333

Aug 20, 2008
Red barrel?

MUST BE DESTROYED OR WE CANNOT CONTINUE.

Also, I always watch the opening cinematic of a game the first time I play, even if it's the trailer I've seen a hundred times. It's like a little ritual, builds up my excitement more so I get really pumped for playing my new game.

Additionally, if there's a doll or humanoid item thing lying around, I always try to make it stand up. If there's a chair, I park it on that to "give it a nice view" of the game world. I don't know why, I just like the idea of this little object having something nice to look at.

Tohuvabohu said:
If I ever come across a small open flame. Such as a camp fire, a burning barrel.

I'll jump right into it.
I think I'm a perpetrator of this, too. Usually to test the fire physics of the game, i.e. seeing if it hurts me when I stand in it. Caveman mentality FTW.

But really, I'm just waiting for the day some developer will make a game where a fire goes out if you jump on it. That would be brilliant.

EDIT: Also, if I get to a boss, I'll save the game. Obviously. I will also save a second time, after doing any of these things:

a) Reloading, be it a full clip or one bullet.
b) Healing - again, all of it or one unit of health
c) Waiting for magic to regen to full (where applicable)
d) Changing equipment, any amount
e) Moving slightly closer to the boss without provoking it

Issurru

Jun 13, 2010
Gigatoast said:
Spamming quicksave like every 5 seconds, even when there's no enemies around. God forbid I die and have to walk an extra 3 feet.
This, but mostly because I've actually quit games because I was set back a few hours (especially after an annoying boss) But also I have been screwed over one (I'm looking at you FEAR 2) where I hit alt+f4 AFTER my quicksave and so it decided to erase my game when I was near the final boss >_<

dark-mortality

Apr 7, 2011
There are two things i have a habit of doing:

1: In RPG's, I HATE dropping items no matter what...

2: Almost pray to every god out there that i don't die so i must start the level/area/battle over again. (Even though i can just click pause and save most of the time.)

That's me in a nutshell with almost every game.

Mcmuffin

Apr 15, 2011
In NV once i had different sets of silverware(cups, plates, silverware etc) for when i had different guests...not sure what that was about.

MegaManOfNumbers

Mar 3, 2010
MaxwellEdison said:
Try to play half life 2 levels using only my crowbar.
You, sir, are destined for great things!

I make overelaborate strategies during the "predator" sections of Batman: AA.

such as planting certain gels in certain areas, tossing a sonic baterang at one, luring a guard, knock em out with said gel, lure others closer, blow up the rest of the gel around them, and in mids the commotion pick offeveryone except one, then mindfuck with him.

I probably will be doing the same with Arkham City.

>.>

SoopaSte123

Jul 1, 2010
I make one of every type of character until I decide which one I like best, then play that one... For a while. And then switch to one of the other characters, or perhaps even remake one of the characters because they weren't min/maxed enough.

Right now in Fallout New Vegas I'm playing a character that I gave only 1 INT to and trying to role play as him. I've decided he's addicted to alcohol to the point where I'll immediately have him drink every bottle of alcohol I find. And I've decided he doesn't fully understand the concept of ownership or stealing, which has gotten him into lots of trouble.