Weirdly racist job interview (updated)

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
So I just had a really weird phone interview for a position at a law firm today.

The firm had posted a job opening yesterday and I had sent them my contact information and resume. So today I get a call from the owner of the firm and he wants to do a quick phone interview with me because he says that my resume caught his eye.

The first question he asks me is "are you Polish?"
I answer "no," and he says "oh, that's too bad, I wanted to make a joke, 'You want me to hire a Polack? What's next, expecting me to hire blacks and jews?' Haha, no I'm just kidding I hire everyone."

From there the interview proceeded for another 10 minutes or so during which time he also made some racist comments/jokes about Hispanics and the English speaking abilities of immigrants while barely letting me get a word in edgewise, even though he was supposed to be asking me questions. Afterward he said he wanted me to come in for a real interview and asked me to call him back later in the week to schedule an appointment.

I found the whole thing incredibly weird and awkward. I mean, I'm not exactly the most politically correct person in the world, I tend to make some racist jokes/comments, but I only do so around close friends who know that I'm joking. Here I am, a complete stranger to this guy and he starts going off on racist tangents immediately. Not only that but this was a position at a law office, it's supposed to be a professional environment and this was the least professional "interview" I'd ever had in my life. While he was talking I was just sitting there thinking "maybe this is some kind of test and he wants to see if I react to the racism?"

The whole thing was kind of off-putting, it all just came off as so unprofessional that I'm not sure I even want to schedule a second interview. On the other hand I really need the job, and I could easily put up with the racism even if I don't condone it (I've heard worse from my family).

What do you guys think? Also post about any strange or bizarre interviews you've had and how you reacted to them. Have you ever taken a job when your first impression of your boss was terrible, and did that first impression turn out to be accurate?

Story has been updated:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.863758-Weirdly-racist-job-interview#21559289

The saga continues and gets weirder:

So I went to the job interview and the lawyer was actually even more racist in person. According to him every minority he had ever hired had stolen from him and his practice in some way. The exact way he put it was "I'm done hiring niggers and Mexicans, all they do is steal from honest white people. I've hired a lot of minorities and I'm done with it, I've filled my minority hiring quota for my lifetime. It's time to start hiring good hardworking white people, like you, at least they won't steal from me.

He also worked with 2 young blond girls in his office. When they were out he made sexist remarks about how he knows that they're probably going to quit soon because they have boyfriends which means that sooner or later they'll want to just stay home and get their men to make money for them. He also said that the reason that he keeps them around is so that they flirt with the clients a little and make it uncomfortable for the clients to not pay or ask for reduced rates.

The entire interview lasted an hour and a half during which time he barely asked me any questions and I couldn't get a word in edgewise. Somehow he managed to get himself on the topic of the JFK assassination and claimed that he knew that the government planned and carried out the assassination. He emailed me the following video:

Once he finally finished the interview and let me leave I ran into one of the girls who works for him and talked to her a bit outside his office. She said that he's extremely unprofessional, that he yells at them when they're working, and that he pays them daily in cash which is super sketchy. It was also sketchy that he never told me how much he was willing to pay if I was hired and every time I tried to bring it up he changed the subject.

This was pretty much the most bizarre thing that has every happened to me in any kind of professional environment. Just felt I'd share the weird ass story with all of you.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Dirty Hipsters said:
What do you guys think?
I think that as soon as he started on the racist material, I'd get up, apologize for wasting his time and explain that I was looking for a job environment that was above that type of bullshit.
Also post about any strange or bizarre interviews you've had and how you reacted to them.
While not exactly a job interview...

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I'm surprised no one cared about this. Is this a common thing that I just never knew about?

But yeah, I've decided I'm going to take the second interview. It's not like I have anything to lose by doing it, and maybe the guy will make a better second impression. I know I've made some bad first impressions in my life where I wished I'd been given a second chance.

At worst I'll have a few hours of my time and will come away from the experience with a weird story.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Well, I don't know how rough your job search is. If you absolutely have to work for a nut job to pay the bills, then thats what you have to do. If you have other offers though...

I'd politely tell this guy you don't think its a right fit and move on.

i don't have a lot of experience in the public sector, but this does seem rather atypical. Or at least I'd hope so. Maybe the guy forgot his meds that day.

madwarper said:
Is it just me, or does the interviewer look like she holding back the urge to run away screaming?

lowtech redneck

Sep 19, 2014
Dirty Hipsters said:
I'm surprised no one cared about this. Is this a common thing that I just never knew about?
I've never experienced or heard about anything like that from prospective bosses, but I've had such experiences with co-workers. But yeah, if you really need the job and its not enough to ruin your work experience, I wouldn't reject the interview to make a statement, either-I hear its tough to find a job as a lawyer right now.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
The fact you said "law firm" kind of made me not surprised. Lawyers are pretty much the scum of the earth (but still rank above politicians)

I wouldve said "the phone call was being recorded to see how I performed to help me prepare for future interviews and all the racist comments were recorded and will be sent to the police and other authorities. Shove you job up your hoop and I hope you enjoy sharing a cell with a pole or a black guy who will be thrilled to find out how you ended up in prison. Bye"

Ring back later from a different phone pretending to be a cop and listen to him squirm. If that doesnt get his weasly lawyer ass squirming then go round dress as said cop and beat him to a pulp with a baton. When he reports police brutality he'll find out that the cop who beat him up does not exist

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
a) Jokes about nationalities have nothing to do with racism. STOP. FUCKING. MISUSING. TERMS.
b) This joke was not funny, so I'd pass on this employment opportunity.

Booklover13

Mar 10, 2014
Rastrelly said:
a) Jokes about nationalities have nothing to do with racism. STOP. FUCKING. MISUSING. TERMS.
He only specified one not-joke and that one did used the term 'blacks,' a descriptor of a race not a nationality. Also Hispanic is a government recognized racial identity so making derogatory comments about Hispanics is racist.

I do understand where you are coming from though, my personal pet peeve is the misuse of the word censorship.

keiji_Maeda

May 9, 2012
I've never had to do with law firms. But i do work in financing, and one of the larger American computer processing companies i was interviewed for had a conversation that wen't something like this

"Oh, i see that your middle name seems middle eastern, why is that?" Her
"erm, *slightly weirded out* well my fathers Farsi, so i have a family name"
"oh, well , we have experience with people from the mashrek area, and we tend to find them confrontational. Would you say that you are? And why do you think they all are?"

I was kind of flat footed. The question weirded me out, and i answered that in my experience people are people, and regardless where you are from some people are confrontational,regardless of where they are from, and that is something you might have to bring to that persons attention as they might not be aware of it. The interview petered out just after that. And i kind of imagined that was the end of that.

NOPE. Turns out the company had a REALLY strict HR policy, so they intentionally sprung a provocative question to make sure that the candidate objected or didn't blindly accept it.

If that isn't weird enough, i did have a shivvy yakkity with a boss who spent the entirety of the interview informing me that Women were naturally better at work in the finance business. As men lacked the mental wherewithal to do strategic projections and numerical competence.

It's shivvy, but in my experience beeing to obsessed with having a PC policy means that you ignore potential for potentials sake, and want to see a qualified worker where it isn't. Personally i do not have a .....fig, to give what gender/colour/religion my boss has, as long as they are a good boss.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Dirty Hipsters said:
Not replying to your post, and not caring about the subject are 2 different things. As to it being common, I would say probably not, though it might be common for that guy.

Dirty Hipsters said:
But yeah, I've decided I'm going to take the second interview. It's not like I have anything to lose by doing it, and maybe the guy will make a better second impression. I know I've made some bad first impressions in my life where I wished I'd been given a second chance.

At worst I'll have a few hours of my time and will come away from the experience with a weird story.
Good luck with that, though I would be very observant of how he reacts in the interview, and if it's really making you uncomfortable, I would speak up about it.

Though I do find it amusing that a person with the username Dirty Hipsters, is making a post about being uncomfortable with blanket generalization statements about certain demographics. xD

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I'd go for the second interview, sure the first impression is important, but maybe he was nervous? :p (the irony)
Nah but seriously, go for the second interview and see how you feel about it after that. You've got nothing to lose.

I have no personal experience of funny/stupid/strange interviews. But an old colleague told me he was applying for some job when they were on a group interview (5 per group) and the leader/interviewer asked questions and everyone answered. Well this colleague of mine decided after 15 minutes he didn't want this job anymore (had something to do with the other people in the interview) and when they asked who their biggest inspiration was, everyone else said some big sportsman from their childhood or their dad or something. Well this guy, who'd an atheist, went on a full Jesus rampage about how he was the best and God would smite everyone who didn't name him as their biggest inspiration... needles to say, he didn't get the job :D

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
shootthebandit said:
The fact you said "law firm" kind of made me not surprised. Lawyers are pretty much the scum of the earth (but still rank above politicians)

I wouldve said "the phone call was being recorded to see how I performed to help me prepare for future interviews and all the racist comments were recorded and will be sent to the police and other authorities. Shove you job up your hoop and I hope you enjoy sharing a cell with a pole or a black guy who will be thrilled to find out how you ended up in prison. Bye"

Ring back later from a different phone pretending to be a cop and listen to him squirm. If that doesnt get his weasly lawyer ass squirming then go round dress as said cop and beat him to a pulp with a baton. When he reports police brutality he'll find out that the cop who beat him up does not exist
However, he is a lawyer and knows that acting as a police officer in this way is a felony. He could probably site in the law some loophole as to why the phone call was legit. I love how you say "I would scare this lawyer into thinking he is going to jail." Because the owner of a law firm probably doesn't know his rights within the law, right?

Personally, Hipster, I would bet it is a test of some kind. The fact he started the phone call with it right off the bat and then persisted. Who does that? How did he get a law firm if he does that? (Those are rhetorical questions btw)

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Savagezion said:
I love how you say "I would scare this lawyer into thinking he is going to jail." Because the owner of a law firm probably doesn't know his rights within the law, right?
Im not a lawyer but I know for a fact race discrimination laws (especially related to employment) are taken pretty seriously. This might not be the case outside of the UK but certainly in the UK they tip toe around issues of race when it comes to employment. Why do they tip toe? Because they are terrified they might discriminate against someone racially

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
He might have been testing you to see how you'd react to things like that to see if you're not too racist to hire or something.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
I... uhh... wha? That sounds potentially dodgy. They're supposed to be employers? That's not professional in the slightest.
Either that's a really strange company or they're testing you to see your reaction. I would have told them on the phone that I don't want to work for such unprofessional, racist people.

But if you do need the money that badly, go for it. I'd rather struggle than work under them because I can guarantee if they have problems with immigrants they've probably got problems with a lot of other things which might end up affecting you.

Slitzkin

Jul 3, 2011
I wouldn't care unless it was directly aimed at me. Just give me job. Gimme, gimme.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Rastrelly said:
The concept of `race' is much broader than you seem to think it is.
( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_%28human_classification%29 )

THEY'RE NOT MISUSING THE FUCKING TERM.

CrystalViolet

May 14, 2014
Dirty Hipsters said:
What do you guys think?
I'm not really in a position to judge. I worked as a police detective for 2 years despite hating the police and regularly breaking the law myself. If you need the money you can always use this as a jumping off point.

Dirty Hipsters said:
Also post about any strange or bizarre interviews you've had and how you reacted to them.
I was at an interview when I was a teenager and the guy asked, "[my surname], is that a Jewish name?". I was like, "yeah..." to which he replied, "Cool, I have a lot of respect for Jews, they work really hard and have great ambition. They always do their best to succeed". I couldn't help myself so I dropped in a few comments about my "Jew gold", how "Hitler didn't get all of us", and how I'm secretly controlling the economy. I didn't get the job.

Dirty Hipsters said:
Have you ever taken a job when your first impression of your boss was terrible, and did that first impression turn out to be accurate?
Other than the example above I've never really been in that situation.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
It make me wonder how that person doing the interview would react to me (I'm Chinese in real life). Still while I would find it awkward, I would proceed to the second interview just to get a better judgement of the whole thing (it could of been a test to hear your reaction or just to mislead you).

EDIT- Ok after reading the second part of the story, yeah there is no way I would worked for a guy like that (yes I'm Chinese but let say the guy was asain but was racist to everybody).

Now I had time to think more about it, if it was in the UK. He probably would of got into trouble for it that is if he adverstise with any job agency since they wouldn't allow racist remark at all.