Well developed characters

THEMANWHOIS

Mar 12, 2009
Robbie McLennan said:
john marston from red dead redemption
SPOILER* i almost cried when he died SPOILER*
Dude, really? Some people haven't finished the game. Learn how to use a spoiler box.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Oh, I think April Ryan wins this thread. She's easily the most well rounded and well developed female character I've seen in games for a very long time. She even beats Alyx Vance to that title, I have to say. In an industry saturated with big-breasted scantily-clad sword-wielding women, and Lara Croft, April Ryan is a real breath of fresh air. Seriously, if she were a real person I'd probably marry her :D.

Oh, and also, the Master Chief. What's that, I hear you say? He's just a generic space marine? Oh, no, he isn't. Read the Halo accompanying novels, or just listen carefully to Cortana's messages at the start of Halo 3. The Master Chief, or rather, Spartan-117, John, ranked Master Chief Petty Officer in the UNSC, was stolen from his parents by the government when he was 6 years old. Taken and trained as a super-soldier from that age, with 74 other kids, at age 14 he was given special bio-augmentations, that led to 40 of the other Spartans dying or being crippled. He was involved in countless battles where he saw millions of his fellow humans killed by the Covenant when they 'glassed' planets from orbit. He saw most of his teammates die when military headquarters planet Reach was glassed, with only a small few surviving, and for a time he thought he was the last Spartan left. I'd say that's a pretty well-developed backstory and personality for a character, wouldn't you?

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
Kylar/Azoth in the Night Angel trilogy (books). I recommend reading it, it's got a wonderfully dark sense of humor and Kylar is quickly becoming my favorite fictional character next to X23.

Robbie McLennan said:
THEMANWHOIS said:
Robbie McLennan said:
john marston from red dead redemption
i almost cried when he died
Dude, really? Some people haven't finished the game. Learn how to use a spoiler box.
How? im new to the site
Click quote on this and look at what I wrote around your shameful spoiler.

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
sennius said:
Tomoya from Clannad and also
Taiga from Toradora!
Good choices, though I'd say pretty much all the main characters in those series were well done.

I'll throw in my two favorites:

Viconia DeVir from the Baldur's Gate series. A very complex and emotionally unstable character. When she finally figures out she has real affection for you and expresses it.. it's quite heartwarming. Also, the epilogue from Throne of Bhall... man.. talk about a Player Punch [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PlayerPunch].

Kreia from Knights of the Old Republic 2. Anyone who has played this game knows what I'm talking about.
She tells you at pretty much the beginning of the game that what's happening was caused by her, that she isn't really on YOUR side, and that she is the big bad, though objects to using such a black and white term. Awesome!

crazystones

Feb 2, 2009
Nathan Ford [http://www.tnt.tv/series/leverage/characters/?contentId=41355] from Leverage. He's just a fun character who makes for a complex mastermind.

I am pretty new to the series, the marketing company I work for is involved with the campaigning for TNT for the show, but the more I watch the characters the more interested I become. I have been watching it every Sunday.

Definitely one of my favorite shows on the air right now. It combines excellent humor with great action seamlessly as a series, and that's rare. And this character, being so well developed is my favorite on TV right now.

Any other Leverage fans on the Escapist? For those that are new or want to check out episodes, check out the TNT Leverage site here:

Leverage - TNT [http://www.tnt.tv/series/leverage/]

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
Suki the Cat said:
Anarchemitis said:
The Financial Advisor from Sim City 3000.
Oh, what a character...
There's someone who knows what I'm talking about.

YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU'LL PAY FOR THIS! [http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h245/DRCEQ2/VG/cutbackonfunding.gif]

Arisato-kun

Apr 22, 2009
Luke fon Fabre from Tales of the Abyss.

His complete metamorphosis from spoiled rich kid to capable savior of the Earth is definitely the finest development I've seen a character undertake.

Let's also not forget how he has to come to terms with.....

....being a replica of Asch.

Kair

Sep 14, 2008
Rorschach from Watchmen. He brings the moral message of the story.

HonorableChairman

Jan 23, 2009
Yennick said:
I like it better when characters are undeveloped and left somewhat abstract. I think the current obsession with "character development", as some kind of goal that all writers (or in the case game writers) should strive towards, is a rather bunk notion.
Development can be abstract, the lack of development would result in a character who doesn't change in any way throughout the work. I think you're disassociating character development for something else.

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
Anton from the Night Watch trilogy.
Oskar from Let The Right One In
Aigis from Persona 3
Tidus from FFX
Squall from FFVIII
Chopin from Eternal Sonata
Kaim from Lost Odyssey
Welkin from Valkyria Chronicles
Horo & Lawrence from Spice & Wolf
Tsukune from Rosario+Vampire

I can't think of any more off the top of my head, but they make out my list of well-rounded characters that have had some sort of period of self-reflection and reassessment pending some sort of epiphany.

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
Yennick said:
I like it better when characters are undeveloped and left somewhat abstract. I think the current obsession with "character development", as some kind of goal that all writers (or in the case game writers) should strive towards, is a rather bunk notion.
You're thinking of caricatures and while they do have their place, they come under a lot of criticism for being flat and one dimensional cardboard cutouts that lack any real personality or humanity about them. Final Fantasy is generally a good example of caricatures, just look at FFXIII. The tough chick, the comic relief black guy, the idiot 'white knight' hero, the emo whiny kid, the ditzy girl and so on.