Well, Dublin is burning

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
After an incredibly tragic knife attack at a school where 3 children and 2 adults were injured, anti-immigrant rioters have proceeded to assault police, destroy businesses, burn out police cars and public transport. All less than 24 hours after Conor McGregor tweeted that "we are at war".

Recently there was a violent riot outside of Leinster House.

Honestly I am very fucking nervous. A lot of my friends and family live near the areas the riots are happening in. And I'm disgusted. For years now vile men like Justin Barrett have been using a handful of violent attacks carried out by migrants to whip up hatred, saying our streets aren't safe. Silent on all of the violent crime carried out by our own, silent on tourists who have been violently assaulted by native Dubliners. And now these fucking scumbags are destroying our capital city while saying it's the foreigners we should be afraid of. Also, to be completely clear, the attacker may or may not have been a migrant. Nothing official has been released yet. But even if he is the amount of publicity and screen time given to attacks carried out by foreign nationals absolutely dwarfs the amount of coverage of the regular violent attacks carried out by Irish citizens all the fucking time.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Don't you just love it when corrupt idiot politicians and public figures divert blame onto immigrants, for the massive economic clusterfucks they caused and the severe austerity policies "justified" by it?

Lest we forget people are pissed, have been pissed for a very long time, and are right to be pissed -- but placing blame where it isn't due.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Don't you just love it when corrupt idiot politicians and public figures divert blame onto immigrants, for the massive economic clusterfucks they caused and the severe austerity policies "justified" by it?
Hey, if it's guaranteed to work, and there's no consequences for you that you can't ignore (for the time being), why not? Sure, maybe a few years down the road fascists are in power, but you still get to sit around and ask "How did this happen?" instead of taking any blame.

People in Athens some 2,300 years ago were saying similar things about the metics, non-citizen residents.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Hey, if it's guaranteed to work, and there's no consequences for you that you can't ignore (for the time being), why not?
Well, on one hand, I get it. Exploiting economic southern labor pools to suppress economic northern wage growth is a ************. But, that's not immigrants' fault but rather multinational corporations -- and the politicians they bribe to perpetuate human trafficking by any other name. It's just insanely easy to redirect blue collar workers' frustrations to immigrants and refugees to prevent solidarity, and let populists devour their own infighting over identity political issues.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

Uh, oh Farage is going to have a field day with this.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
Conor McGregor has already been using the Ashling Murphy case to whip people into a fury. Posting about how we're at war. Encouraging the behaviour on Thursday and then, presumably after a call from his solicitor, quickly disavowing the riots on twitter yesterday.

Uh, oh Farage is going to have a field day with this.
Farage can go fuck himself. But the association between far right "nationalists" and people like Tommy Robinson and Farage who have shown open contempt for the Irish really demonstrates how little they actually give a fuck about nationalism. The fact that hardly any of them can string together a cúpla focail beyond asking if they can use the bathroom, are openly opposed to a united Ireland and openly denigrate Irish sports and culture makes it very clear when they say "Irish" they just mean white.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
Aaand after many incredibly racist whatsapp/telegram groups have been made public of course the people involved are now claiming that it was all a false flag orchestrated by leftist groups to make them look bad. Sorry guys, but I fucking hate that America has completely poisoned discourse

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Farage can go fuck himself. But the association between far right "nationalists" and people like Tommy Robinson and Farage who have shown open contempt for the Irish really demonstrates how little they actually give a fuck about nationalism.
There is always an irony of global nationalists encouraging and celebrating each others' successes despite the fact that they all turn on each other like rats in a bag when they take power. After all, that's what their brand of nationalism is: I got mine, fuck you; and if I don't got mine, I'm attacking you.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
There is always an irony of global nationalists encouraging and celebrating each others' successes despite the fact that they all turn on each other like rats in a bag when they take power. After all, that's what their brand of nationalism is: I got mine, fuck you; and if I don't got mine, I'm attacking you.
There is a particular irony with Irish nationalists associating with British nationalists of all people.