Well, folks, I just saw Black Panther...

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
... and I'm just gonna take your word for for it that I can post my random opinions on movies here, now that the Wild West has gone to the land of the ancestors.

So, like, me and the Marvel Cinematic Universe have never exactly been very sympatico, to say the least. I've seen a bunch of those movies and disliked most of them to some extent, if I had to pick a favourite I'd probably say it's Iron Man 3 on the virtue of having been made by a director to whom action comedies are practically second nature. Despite better knowledge I've been wanting to see Black Panther because I like afrofuturism as an aesthetic, unrerrepresented as it may be in american film.

So, my big reservation for Black Panthers was it seemed to, knowingly or not, portray nationalism positively by showing a thriving isolationist country and making its ruling family the main characters. Now, a video by one of my favourite YouTube talkin heads kinda alleviated some of my fears in that regard but I remained skeptical. And having seen it I'm gonna say I wasn't wrong. Sure, it ended with Futuristic African Bhutan reaching out to the world and a dude named W'Kabi, who I fucking hated because he almost verbatimely repeated the rhetoric of your average rightist early on ultimately turned out to be traitor but you still had the good guys shouting "Wakanda Forever!" when they go into battle so, you know, mixed messages and stuff.

Now, putting my nefarious cultural marxist politics aside the movie was... you know, alright. It had a fun setting that could probably support more movies and, let's be honest here, definitely will, it had a likeable enough cast of characters played by actors who were mostly decent, despite having to deliver their entire dialogue in a silly fake accent so that the viewer doesn't forget that these are, indeed, africans and the action was... well, the action was actually nothing special for the most part but, you know, it was there.

Now, don't get me wrong, the movie doesn't do much to make me more interessted in Marvel's illustrious ensemble of grape coloured alien overlords, talking raccoons and costumed heros, most of what I liked about it were quite exlusive to this movie in particular but hey, I mostly had a good time. It was an entertaining enough action movie. It didn't manage to transcends its genre the way something like Fury Road, Batman v Superman or the better parts of Last Jedi did in recent years but it's probably unrealistic to expect as much. It did what it was supposed to do just fine, that is presenting a mostly engaging adventure with mostly likeable characters. And you know what? It did have likeable characters.

There was the protagonists sister, who's a genius inventor, which would have been really fucking stupid, but I can't be mad at her. She's so fucking cute. I want to be her broken white boy she can fix. There was the leader of a warrior tribe who was secretly the best character in the entire movie and totally deserves his own spinoff and there was Martin Freeman playing a CIA spook who was still written as a good guy because, hey, it's still a Marvel movie so he supported the Royal Family of Wakanda rather than arming far right death squads to overthrow them and install a fascist dictatorship.

Talking about death squads and dictatorships, the villain was... you know, decent. His thing was wanting to take revenge on the king and also using Wakanda's superior technology to stage a revolution and abolish white supremacy, which seemed mostly relatable to me, but he also killed his own girlfriend when it was convenient so that we all realize he's a bad guy so there's that. A particulary deep character he wasn't, but at least he had both a motivation and a personality, which makes him stand out among the MCU's rogue gallery in a positive way.

So, overall it was a perfectly watchable movie and nowhere near the worst way to spend about two hours and fifteen minutes of your life. I mean, it didn't blow me away or anything but I mostly had fun watching it and didn't roll my eyes more than twice during its entire runtime and I'm pretty sure I didn't even make it through 10 minutes of Thor Ragnarok without doing so. So, all things considered, Black Panther was a MCU movie I actually liked. To a point where I'm almost considering seeing Infinity War if I didn't know I'd probably hate it.

Apr 5, 2008
My understanding is that it's about black people living in thatched huts who carry spears and make monkey noises at white people.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
I just find this movie, unbelievable generic, I have seen this movie before. Especially since they re-used the "Han Solo cliche" of a "renegade" character saying he won't help the heroes only until the last minute he grew a conncious and join in the frey.

And of course we have the Marvel climatic battle that has long sinced played out since Avengers 1.

PsychedelicDiamond

Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
KingsGambit said:
My understanding is that it's about black people living in thatched huts who carry spears and make monkey noises at white people.
Nah, it was made explicit that the tribe this guy belongs to has deliberately turned its back onto the rest of Wakanda and their technology. The capital city, while still having african inspired architecture, actual has skyscrapers and monorails and stuff. It's a fun setting, honestly, because you just don't see much in the way of african inspired futurism in mainstream fiction. It would have been nice to have that sort of thing in the more thoughtful kind of science-fiction movie but hey, I'm happy it exists at all. We've seen the future from an american perspective countless times and we've seen it from an asian perspective countless times. It's neat to see it from an african or at least african-inspired one for once.

Samtemdo8 said:
I just find this movie, unbelievable generic, I have seen this movie before. Especially since they re-used the "Han Solo cliche" of a "renegade" character saying he won't help the heroes only until the last minute he grew a conncious and join in the frey.

And of course we have the Marvel climatic battle that has long sinced played out since Avengers 1.
If I expected something else I wouldn't have watched a Marvel movies. I know most of them are made by different directors, I know this one was made by Ryan Coogler's who's actually talented but they are made to fit a certain mold and while I'm not claiming that people like Coogler, Gunn, Waititi and so on manage to put their own spin on that formula it's still... well, a formula. They don't have a place for the type of unique presentation people like George Miller, Zack Snyder, Michael Bay or even Del Toro employ to elevate their material. It's a live action 90s cartoon. But not a bad one, for what it's worth.

chocolate pickles

Apr 14, 2011
I was uninterested in it from the start, then my (black) flat mate started banging on about how this was a revolutionary piece of cinema and (I quote), a 'watershed moment in history'.

I've deliberately made a point not to see it.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
KingsGambit said:
What the fuuuck? That's for real? And not some trash edit?

I'll watch it myself soon enough, but damn.

Warhound

Oct 24, 2017
McElroy said:
KingsGambit said:
What the fuuuck? That's for real? And not some trash edit?

I'll watch it myself soon enough, but damn.
Yep thats real.

I watched about 40 minutes into it before I got bored and left.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
If you judge it negatively in any way you're a racist.

I found it to be very bland, the CGI felt bad compared to other titles, shakey cam all over the place. The big battle at the end was impossible to follow what was going on or who was winning.

Costumes were really good though.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
It was allright. Not as amazing as everyone said, but pretty solid, and the visual aesthetic was great.

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
At this point, if you don't care for the Marvel movies or just gotten tired of the genre then Black Panther isn't going to change that. I thought it was a pretty solid movie, and up there as one of my favorites of the movies. All that said, I wonder if at times some of the negativity comes from perspective. To preface, not saying there isn't flaws or legit reasons people have to dislike this movie or others. These movies are flawed and there are definitely things that could be improved. That said, I feel like some people perceive these movies as being high art in the eyes of public, when in actuality it's a franchise that hits the right spot for lots of people. I see people who wonder how it can get rotten tomato scores of 80 t0 90%+ when they feel it should be lower, not realizing that in score, it seems the highest rated Marvel Movie has been around an 8, with an average more in the 7 range. This movie in particular has gotten more hype and claim because it's a large budget movie with a cast that outside one character is all black which isn't usual.

I think these movies are fun and a good time, but like the average scores, they don't go much more beyond a fun action film with some comedy and some good character moments. If you don't like them that's fine, but let's not think that these are being considered high art or the best movies have to offer.

As for that one scene that people seem to be trying to construe as racist, please let's not go that route. There's one specific tribe that their tribe animal was a gorilla, and with just one scene where the leader makes an ape noise at a person does in no way make it racist. You're making mountains out of mole hills.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
I thought the movie was fine, but only just fine. Quite frankly, it had a lost of interesting themes and ideas going on, but all those ideas ended up feeling incredibly watered down and not really given proper treatment at all. And the ending just blows. There are numerous better movies in the MCU.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I myself am black, but would not call the film "revolutionary" . It's still a great movie otherwise. My only problem with the film is some of the shaky cam early in the movie. Later action scenes avoid this, so why they do it there makes no sense. I wish a lot of films would just drop this shit. That style of editing has rarely done anything good for the film medium. The reason why so many are calling BP revolutionary because it's a black lead superhero movie with this much success that embraces the African/Afrocentric culture in a positive light. Think about other blacks, including myself, are tired of the stereotypes, tom foolish buffoonery, or playing second banana. Yes, it has gotten better, but there are sill issues with Hollywood saying black led movies "don't work" or white/other races can't connect or understands. Black Panther proved how wrong they are. So I would not under mind or ignore what it has done positively for the film industry in having non-white leads.

Granted, Blade was the first successful black lead superhero movie, but apparently the media does not know or wants to forget to jump on the bandwagon. Regardless, I am proud to see this movie and gladly pre-order this movie.

chocolate pickles said:
I was uninterested in it from the start, then my (black) flat mate started banging on about how this was a revolutionary piece of cinema and (I quote), a 'watershed moment in history'.

I've deliberately made a point not to see it.
Don't let his comments ruin your enjoyment or viewing of the movie. If things don't click, that's life, but don't make petty excuses, because of 1 guy or a vocal minority (no pun intended). If I let that happen to me, I would not be able to give a chance or judge a film on its merit over half of the time. I'd might as well be another jackass that can't make opinions for himself without someone "professional" or "a like minded person like me" validating them. Besides, if you do see it, you'll at least have actual arguments to back up why you don't like it. So it won't seem like you're just parroting other peoples opinions. Though if we're talking about movies not worth seeing, it's the live-action Transformer films. Glad I chose not to waste money on Last Knight.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
I was really not looking forward to the film because the hype was a bit too much and I had problems with the CGI.

Then I saw it and surprisingly liked it a lot. My only big problem was the CGI being bad in a few parts, particularly the climax and the rhinos.

That aside, I dug everything else. The story was pretty good, the villain was fantastic, the characters were compelling and the politics are interesting.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Samtemdo8 said:

Well, the thing is:

1. You have two royalties fighting for the crown and an all-out civil war between sides. No shit its gonna be a battle. Also we've been doing climatic battles since Iron Man 1.

2. M'Baku isn't really a "Han Solo" tbh. In the comics, he was a common bad guy for Black Panther as the Man-Ape. In the film, I found it interesting to just have a villain on the opposite side willing to help protect the nation they live in.

PsychedelicDiamond

Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
BreakfastMan said:
I thought the movie was fine, but only just fine. Quite frankly, it had a lost of interesting themes and ideas going on, but all those ideas ended up feeling incredibly watered down and not really given proper treatment at all. And the ending just blows. There are numerous better movies in the MCU.
Maybe I just keep watching the wrong ones but the core question of how Wakanda should go forward, between the isolationism promoted by the likes of W'Kabi, the imperialism as promoted by Killmonger and T'Challa's reformism was mostly well enough executed. I mean, it's still an action movie so the battle of ideologies, at the end of the day, was mostly depicted through... well, a physical battle but again, my expections were not nearly high enough to be dissapointed. To indulge my habit of backseat screenwriting, if I was in charge I'd have cut out the whole subplot in Korea and had taken the time to flesh out the political landscape of Wakanda, the differences between the individuals tribes and T'Challa's struggle to push his country forward while trying to appease the more traditionalist parts of his population but, while also giving more scenes to Killmonger after his coup to show how his rule affects the country as compared to T'Challas. But there's no point lamenting how good a movie could have been, had it been more about the stuff I happen to find interesting.

Fact is, movies that take the approach I favour, like Batman v Superman, Blade Runner 2049 or Annihilation, the slow, gritty, maximalist, unapologetically indulgent kind, consistently tend to underperform with the general audience so I imagine turning Black Panther more into a political thriller about what the role of a nation like Wakanda would be in a globalized society... well, it wouldn't have gone over nearly as well as what it is now, a lighthearted feelgood action movie that pushes its political themes to the sidelines in favour of car chases and spy movie sequences.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
PsychedelicDiamond said:
BreakfastMan said:
Maybe I just keep watching the wrong ones but the core question of how Wakanda should go forward, between the isolationism promoted by the likes of W'Kabi, the imperialism as promoted by Killmonger and T'Challa's reformism was mostly well enough executed. I mean, it's still an action movie so the battle of ideologies, at the end of the day, was mostly depicted through... well, a physical battle but again, my expections were not nearly high enough to be dissapointed. To indulge my habit of backseat screenwriting, if I was in charge I'd have cut out the whole subplot in Korea and had taken the time to flesh out the political landscape of Wakanda, the differences between the individuals tribes and T'Challa's struggle to push his country forward while trying to appease the more traditionalist parts of his population but, while also giving more scenes to Killmonger after his coup to show how his rule affects the country as compared to T'Challas. But there's no point lamenting how good a movie could have been, had it been more about the stuff I happen to find interesting.

Fact is, movies that take the approach I favour, like Batman v Superman, Blade Runner 2049 or Annihilation, the slow, gritty, maximalist, unapologetically indulgent kind, consistently tend to underperform with the general audience so I imagine turning Black Panther more into a political thriller about what the role of a nation like Wakanda would be in a globalized society... well, it wouldn't have gone over nearly as well as what it is now, a lighthearted feelgood action movie that pushes its political themes to the sidelines in favour of car chases and spy movie sequences.
Honestly, I don't really care about what a movie has to do to make money, I care more about the movie being the best it could be. And to say that light-hearted action movies can't be too meaningful or their will alienate their core audience seems short-sighted.

But even taking that into the fact, I still think the movie lets itself down with the ending. It just completely falls apart. After all the buildup, after all the struggle of competing ideologies, the monologues from Killmonger about the effect Wakanda's isolationism has on the world, T'Challa makes a decision to finally reveal the true Wakanda to the world and help those oppressed... And that looks like them building a community center in oakland? What the fuck?

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
PsychedelicDiamond said:
despite having to deliver their entire dialogue in a silly fake accent so that the viewer doesn't forget that these are, indeed, africans and the action was... well, the action was actually nothing special for the most part but, you know, it was there.
The language and accent is not actually fake, it is an actual African Language, "IsiXhosa" one of South Africa's official languages. It was chosen by a cast member, as that was their native language. Due to much of the cast actually being from Africa, their accents are not as fake as you may have thought they were.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/16/us/wakanda-black-panther.html

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Lil devils x said:
PsychedelicDiamond said:
despite having to deliver their entire dialogue in a silly fake accent so that the viewer doesn't forget that these are, indeed, africans and the action was... well, the action was actually nothing special for the most part but, you know, it was there.
The language and accent is not actually fake, it is an actual African Language, "IsiXhosa" one of South Africa's official languages. It was chosen by a cast member, as that was their native language. Due to much of the cast actually being from Africa, their accents are not as fake as you may have thought they were.

And now PsychedelicDiamond feels stupid for that comment he made.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
CoCage said:
Lil devils x said:
PsychedelicDiamond said:

And now PsychedelicDiamond feels stupid for that comment he made.
He shouldn't feel so bad, I once accused a British guy of using a fake accent in a club once to try and pick me up and it turned out he really was a Brit. XD