Well guys the cat's out of the bag with The Sopranos. (Spoilers)

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
David Chase himself confirmed it. Tony died when the screen went black:

"Because the scene I had in my mind was not that scene. Nor did I think of cutting to black. I had a scene in which Tony comes back from a meeting in New York in his car. At the beginning of every show, he came from New York into New Jersey, and the last scene could be him coming from New Jersey back into New York for a meeting at which he was going to be killed. Yeah. But I think I had this notion—I was driving on Ocean Park Boulevard near the airport and I saw a little restaurant. It was kind of like a shack that served breakfast. And for some reason I thought, “Tony should get it in a place like that.” Why? I don’t know. That was, like, two years before."

Fitting this gets revealed on my birthday. But yeah to anyone who actually watched and fully payed attention to this show and all the details it has. This was already a forgone conclusion. So many signs in the final season pointing out that Tony is gonna get whacked.

In my case I was 70% certain it was the case. The remaining 30% him living is because in the context of:

"Even if he did survive, his downfall was already assured and he was already on the road to getting arrested and indicted with one of his own men, Carlo, turning informant and will testify against Tony in court"

But as revealed, he was whacked before any of that could happen. The only thing left lingering is why he was whacked. Prominent theory is he's whacked on orders from New York under that now new boss Butchie. Other is Paulie ordered him to be whacked. Among other things.

So there we go. Tony Soprano has died in the finale.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Never understood why everyone was so up in arms with the ending with it being as such.
My wife was watching a DVR I made for her in the before times when we didn't have streaming, while on the tread mill and started screaming at the top of her lungs for me, pissed that I'd screwed up the very ending for her until she realized that is how it ends: with the blank screen.

Facebook pal of mine got dizzed for being amazed by this news item as, this analysis has been around for several years now. The confirmation is nice.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
In my case I was 70% certain it was the case. The remaining 30% him living is because in the context of:

"Even if he did survive, his downfall was already assured and he was already on the road to getting arrested and indicted with one of his own men, Carlo, turning informant and will testify against Tony in court"
I've always liked the ending. I thought it was the perfect "fuck you" from Chase's perspective, given his disgust with his own audience for sympathizing with Tony and using him for vicarious wish fulfillment. No kidding, after seven seasons of cheering for Tony, viewers don't deserve catharsis; it was the perfect capstone for the entire series. "No, you don't get a happy ending, and walk away from this with false self-righteousness. Prick."

Unlike Breaking Bad which has the most misunderstood ending of all television in my opinion, the ending of The Sopranos has always been perfectly understood. Audiences just didn't like being so blatantly called out, and projected that insecurity onto a perceived lack of closure for the series.

Folks like to gravitate towards the idea Tony got hit in the restaurant because that was the happiest and cleanest of all possible endings to his story. If Tony got hit then and there, he went out on the highest-possible note. He would have died instantly and painlessly, pretending his family wasn't fundamentally broken, his kids' future weren't wrecked, his lifelong friends weren't all dead or worse, and that the end to the war was anything but a pyrrhic victory that left the DiMeo family ruined and ready to be absorbed by the Lupertazzi family anyways.