Well i finally started the castlevania series

Kashif Omer

Oct 12, 2010
I recently got Dracula x chronicles for psp, my first castlevania game which includes both Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the night. While Rondo of blood has the best soundtrack i've heard on my psp i still have not gotten past level 4,seriously why does it have a lives system?

SoTN on the other hand feels so completely unlike Rondo, its metroidvania and while it could use more story its quite good. Even if the difficulty vanishes near the end. It is alot easier than Rondo and actually has save points near bosses. Also the maria mode is alot of fun but it feels like it was a bit rushed.

So we have too different games, one overly difficult action game and one easy but fun metroidvania game. I like the latter more than the former, looks like i have some old gameboy games to track down.

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
Kashif Omer said:
I recently got Dracula x chronicles for psp, my first castlevania game which includes both Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the night.
Oh, fine choice.

Rondo of Blood: It was made in a time when men were men, and women were... women but also men. Why lives system? Because it was a game from a time when games weren't cakewalks that anyone could easily beat. Try the Maria mode in it. It's a lot easier.

Also, would you mind if I recommend some Castlevania games?

Kashif Omer

Oct 12, 2010
Chibz said:
Kashif Omer said:
I recently got Dracula x chronicles for psp, my first castlevania game which includes both Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the night.
Oh, fine choice.

Rondo of Blood: It was made in a time when men were men, and women were... women but also men. Why lives system? Because it was a game from a time when games weren't cakewalks that anyone could easily beat. Try the Maria mode in it. It's a lot easier.

Also, would you mind if I recommend some Castlevania games?
of course i won't mind, but im wondering if the story has a bigger presence in later games

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
Kashif Omer said:
of course i won't mind, but im wondering if the story has a bigger presence in later games
TBH I haven't played many of the Metroidvania games. However, the earlier games tend to be much harder...

I recommend Castlevania 1, 3, 4. You've played Rondo of Blood (which is good).

So check out Castlevania: The Adventure. Or the remake on wiiware, if you can.

I'd play through rondo of blood before playing SOTN. SOTN is the sequel, after all.

Technicolor

Jan 23, 2011
If you have a Wii, I suggest you pick up Super Castlevania on the Virtual Console. It is still regarded as the best of the traditional Castlevanias, otherwise known as "ClassicVania", as well as possibly the best Castlevania.

If you've noticed, in Super Castlevania, you have full whip control, allowing you to whip in 8 directions, and you can actually control your jumps, unlike previous and some latter Castlevania still had.

Just these small additions made the game a lot better, because it removed the fake dificulty. No more getting hit by flying shit just a centimeter above your whip reach, no more misjudging jumps, and now you can actually block attackers by flicking around the whip.

Super Castlevania is still a satisfying challenge, and in no way as hard as Rondo of Blood, or any other traditional Castlevanias, but for the right reasons. I really recommend it.

MisterMaster

May 27, 2011
Technicolor said:
Super Castlevania is still a satisfying challenge, and in no way as hard as Rondo of Blood, or any other traditional Castlevanias, but for the right reasons. I really recommend it.
Rondo of Blood was hard? Really? If you're talking about the SNES version, then sure, Dracula at the end was difficult, but if we're talking about the PC Engine version then come on..

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
Yeah, Order of Ecclesia was pretty boss. It had elements of both old school Castlevania and Metroidvania. It was also a challenge, something most of the games in the series since SotN have been lacking. It felt kind of short, but I liked it a lot.

Technicolor

Jan 23, 2011
MisterMaster said:
Technicolor said:
Rondo of Blood was hard? Really? If you're talking about the SNES version, then sure, Dracula at the end was difficult, but if we're talking about the PC Engine version then come on..
I wasn't aware of a PC Port, unless its on a Emulator, which of course makes things easy.

I recommend the wii version of Rondo of Blood with the classic controller, just because of the old school feel of trying to beat a hard as shit game, with nothing but your own skill. The PSP might be better, because I'm not sure they actually translated the German/Japanese in the game in the Wii version. However the challenge offers a satisfaction I don't find often enough in games today.

MisterMaster

May 27, 2011
Technicolor said:
MisterMaster said:
Technicolor said:
I wasn't aware of a PC Port, unless its on a Emulator, which of course makes things easy.

I recommend the wii version of Rondo of Blood with the classic controller, just because of the old school feel of trying to beat a hard as shit game, with nothing but your own skill. The PSP might be better, because I'm not sure they actually translated the German/Japanese in the game in the Wii version. However the challenge offers a satisfaction I don't find often enough in games today.
No, PC Engine is a homeconsole. It's also known as the Turbografx 16. In the PC Engine version, the game was different and featured a different end fight with Dracula. Maria was also a playable character.

The SNES version is often seen as a butchered port as Maria isn't playable and the game has different bosses and levels.

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
If you can, I totally really realy suggest you get Super Castlevania IV!

Just... such a good game. Great controls, and very good music with decent level design. Even if you prefer the metroidvania games, this is still a great game.

Technicolor

Jan 23, 2011
MisterMaster said:
Technicolor said:
MisterMaster said:
Technicolor said:

No, PC Engine is a homeconsole. It's also known as the Turbografx 16. In the PC Engine version, the game was different and featured a different end fight with Dracula. Maria was also a playable character.
True

The SNES version is often seen as a butchered port as Maria isn't playable and the game has different bosses and levels.
True, don't pick up the SNES version. But the Turbo Grafx-16 version is available on the Wii, itself being a direct port of the original Japanse game. Unfortunately they didn't take the time to at least translate the Japanese dialogue & Cutscenes, unlike the PSP port of Rondo Of Blood. Either way, I find it more fun to play on a TV, but PSP is just fine too.