Well I won't be buying the new Tomb Raider...

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
ravenshrike said:
Kahunaburger said:
Zhukov said:
Would people be getting upset if it was a guy?
Uh, if the latest Duke Nukem game revealed that a near-rape experience was why the Duke became who he is, you'd be able to hear the jimmies rustling from miles away.
It's highly unlikely that the near-rape experience would turn wilting violet LC into badass LC. In fact, after the near-rape experience, which probably happens within the first 20-30 minutes of gameplay, she's still weak and freaking out. It's the rest of the panic-stricken adventure and her survival which will turn her into the badass.

As for the previous series(it's a REBOOT) that doesn't really matter.
This was what I thought.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
So they've changed a series to be more realistic and gritty. I see no problem here...

It worked for Batman, why not Tomb Raider?

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
A man is tortured, only to survive and come out stronger and more confident than before = BADASS!

A woman is tortured, only to survive and come out stronger and more confident than before = SEXIST!

Meatspinner

Feb 4, 2011
Was I the only one that thought of James Cameron and Avatar when they read that article. I think I can count on myself to have my own impression when the time comes to play it.

I'll wait until then before I put on my reactionary white-knighting hat.

crono738

Sep 4, 2008
Turns out everyone's already seen the alleged "rape scene" in the crossroads trailer.

http://www.gamesradar.com/controversial-tomb-raider-rape-scene-youve-already-seen-it/

So yeah, media blowing stuff out of proportion. Again.

Edit: Ninja'd earlier in the thread -_-

Elamdri

Nov 19, 2009
crono738 said:
Turns out everyone's already seen the alleged "rape scene" in the crossroads trailer.

http://www.gamesradar.com/controversial-tomb-raider-rape-scene-youve-already-seen-it/

So yeah, media blowing stuff out of proportion. Again.

Edit: Ninja'd earlier in the thread -_-
Pretty much what I thought and said on page one. Ty for verifying.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
crono738 said:
There's nothing 'alleged' about it. The producer of the game used the word 'rape' in at least two separate interviews - with Kotaku as linked in the OP and subsequently confirmed in a follow up article on Kotaku, and with Penny Arcade.

Let's put this in perspective. Lara Croft is the most famous female video game protagonist in the world. Ask people who have never played a video game who Alyx Vance or Samus Aran is, and you'll get blank looks, but many of those same people will know who Lara Croft is. That's not even due to the movies - Lara was a huge media phenomenon in the 90s.

So when the producer of the reboot of the game series throws around a word as charged as rape in multiple interviews, is it any surprise that the wider media picks up on it?

If the new Crystal Dynamics statement is taken at face value* then Rosenberg deserves to be fired over this, because he clearly cannot be trusted to talk about the game he's supposed to be developing.

[sub]*which it shouldn't be, since this is clearly damage control, as I've said earlier in this thread[/sub]

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Batsamaritan said:
lacktheknack said:
Batsamaritan said:
I wonder what will happen when it gets to the rape scene? Will we have a quick time event to escape or actual controlled action? If so i'm going to put the controller down at that point sit back and drink a cold beer and watch the fun.
They're prepared for terrible people like you, and have said somewhere that the rape attempt is completely automated and unfailable. The sequence that follows is straight up life and death.
So then, the attempted rape is really just unnessesary and there for sensationalism then.
It may be her breaking point where she finally says "screw this" and starts really fighting to survive. That's what appears to happen in the trailer.

I suppose we CANNOT KNOW UNTIL IT COMES OUT, AMRITE?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Sixcess said:
crono738 said:
There's nothing 'alleged' about it. The producer of the game used the word 'rape' in at least two separate interviews - with Kotaku as linked in the OP and subsequently confirmed in a follow up article on Kotaku, and with Penny Arcade.

Let's put this in perspective. Lara Croft is the most famous female video game protagonist in the world. Ask people who have never played a video game who Alyx Vance or Samus Aran is, and you'll get blank looks, but many of those same people will know who Lara Croft is. That's not even due to the movies - Lara was a huge media phenomenon in the 90s.

So when the producer of the reboot of the game series throws around a word as charged as rape in multiple interviews, is it any surprise that the wider media picks up on it?

If the new Crystal Dynamics statement is taken at face value* then Rosenberg deserves to be fired over this, because he clearly cannot be trusted to talk about the game he's supposed to be developing.

[sub]*which it shouldn't be, since this is clearly damage control, as I've said earlier in this thread[/sub]
People don't know who samus and alyx are but know who Lara croft is....yeah no. Some of the biggest games of Nintendo and valve are not less popular than indinania jones with boobs.

Oh yeah, because people never make mistakes or have different personal meanings for certain phrases, did you ever stop and think that those five seconds implied rape translated to "rape scene" for this guy? And he should be fired for it? Keep dreaming, from what I can see he just misspoke, try being a mass effect fan then come back to me about poor communication and try to complain about it, you'll be called an entitled fanboy. In other words, you are seriously over reacting.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
erttheking said:
Sixcess said:
crono738 said:

People don't know who samus and alyx are but know who Lara croft is....yeah no. The biggest games of Nintendo and valve are not less popular than indinania jones with boobs.
Yes they are. She was a bona fide mainstream sex symbol in the late nineties. I believe she even appeared on a gossip magazine cover or two.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
lacktheknack said:
erttheking said:
Sixcess said:
crono738 said:

People don't know who samus and alyx are but know who Lara croft is....yeah no. The biggest games of Nintendo and valve are not less popular than indinania jones with boobs.
Yes they are. She was a bona fide mainstream sex symbol in the late nineties. I believe she even appeared on a gossip magazine cover or two.
So...the main character of one of Nintendo's flagship games and one of the main characters of Valve's most popular game series that people refuse to acknowledge as anything less than perfection is less popular than Tomb Raider? Maybe It's just because I own just about every metroid game (minus other m) and I even own the Orange Box but not a single Tomb Raider game but I have a hard time believing that, even though I grew up in the 90s. Sorry but I just have a hard time believing that.

doomspore98

May 24, 2011
So if people make someone over sexualized then its bad, but if they take away the thing that people were complaining about, then its also bad, hmm. I don't understand why people are complaining about the sexualization thing, if you think being over sexualized is a personality then you are wrong. The rape thing is a bit weird though. People are also talking about how she is no longer a bad-ass. No one apart from maybe Duke Nukem were born badasses, if you think laura croft was a badass for her entire life, you are also wrong.

Captcha: Child Survival, Captcha is psychic.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
erttheking said:
lacktheknack said:
erttheking said:
Sixcess said:
crono738 said:

So...the main character of one of Nintendo's flagship games and one of the main characters of Valve's most popular game series that people refuse to acknowledge as anything less than perfection is less popular than Tomb Raider? Maybe It's just because I own just about every metroid game (minus other m) and I even own the Orange Box but not a single Tomb Raider game but I have a hard time believing that, even though I grew up in the 90s. Sorry but I just have a hard time believing that.
Non gamers couldn't give less of a damn how good your game is. All they know is that Lara's breasts were larger than her head and she kicked copious amounts of ass.

I knew about Lara Croft when the game released back in 1996, although I was only four so I didn't play it. I didn't know about Alyx Vance or Samus Aran until waaaaaaay later (like, mid 2000s).

I know it's mind boggling, but "flagship game" means jack to my mother. "Nothing short of perfection" doesn't affect my non-gaming coworkers. Quality means NOTHING in this situation. Get used to it.

Think about it: What's more popular, the Transformers movies or "Pan's Labyrinth"?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
lacktheknack said:
erttheking said:
lacktheknack said:
erttheking said:
Sixcess said:
crono738 said:

Non gamers couldn't give less of a damn how good your game is. All they know is that Lara's breasts were larger than her head and she kicked copious amounts of ass.

I knew about Lara Croft when the game released back in 1996, although I was only four so I didn't play it. I didn't know about Alyx Vance or Samus Aran until waaaaaaay later (like, mid 2000s).

I know it's mind boggling, but "flagship game" means jack to my mother. "Nothing short of perfection" doesn't affect my non-gaming coworkers. Quality means NOTHING in this situation. Get used to it.

Think about it: What's more popular, the Transformers movies or "Pan's Labyrinth"?
So in other words she's more popular than Samus and Alyx among non-gamers....who don't give a flying shit about how she's being portrayed in the new game. Ok, I'll believe that.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I'm kind of annoyed they have turned one of the most badass female video game characters into a wuss... but at the same time it's nice to see a video game that does something different.

I just hope they are aware of the horror that was Other M and they try to avoid the mistakes that game made.

It's a shame because Lara was a nice bit of escapist power fantasy for female gamers and now she has been reduced to being 'protected' by the male demographic...it's a bit...irritating.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Moonlight Butterfly said:
I'm kind of annoyed they have turned one of the most badass female video game characters into a wuss... but at the same time it's nice to see a video game that does something different.

I just hope they are aware of the horror that was Other M and they try to avoid the mistakes that game made.

It's a shame because Lara was a nice bit of escapist power fantasy for female gamers and now she has been reduced to being 'protected' by the male demographic...it's a bit...irritating.
Bit of a power fantasy? I thought that she was supposed to be a laughable sex symbol.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
erttheking said:
Moonlight Butterfly said:

Bit of a power fantasy? I thought that she was supposed to be a laughable sex symbol.
If you have played the games she is actually a female Indiana Jones. She's smart, capable and can look after herself.

It's the media who only focused on her boobs.