Well Square, you finally did it... you killed Final Fantasy (A Rant)

Ziadaine_v1legacy

Flamboyant Homosexual
Apr 11, 2009
shameduser said:
FF was dead years ago. FFX was what killed it for me.
I'll assume you're one of those FF7 nutters who think it was the pinnacle of ultimatum?

Personally, every Final Fantasy has it's flaws. I've played since 8 onwards (minus 11) and I've enjoyed every single one of them for their different and unique story. The ONLY one I didn't like was 13 because of how linear the story and playing was, which they thankfully fixed in 13-2.

8, 9, 10/10-2 for its amazing story, 12 for both story and unique gameplay which I enjoyed, 13 for bringing a god-like story to it, which went into more detail in 13-2.

Either way, I'll be getting XV to see how it goes, already got XIV:ARR lined up.

Kittyhawk

Aug 2, 2012
The FF series has gone through many aesthetic versions, so I don't see the point in bailing out now if you love these games. While I can agree with some of its design choices are silly, too many gamers love it to complain about such things.

Perhaps some gamers have too set an opinion of what FF series should be, while Square think otherwise.

Mar 5, 2011
Ziadaine said:
shameduser said:
I'll assume you're one of those FF7 nutters who think it was the pinnacle of ultimatum?

Personally, every Final Fantasy has it's flaws. I've played since 8 onwards (minus 11) and I've enjoyed every single one of them for their different and unique story. The ONLY one I didn't like was 13 because of how linear the story and playing was, which they thankfully fixed in 13-2.

8, 9, 10/10-2 for its amazing story, 12 for both story and unique gameplay which I enjoyed, 13 for bringing a god-like story to it, which went into more detail in 13-2.

Either way, I'll be getting XV to see how it goes, already got XIV:ARR lined up.
I've never played 7 but I have beaten 6 and several DS re-releases.

X was a mess from a story and gameplay perspective (not to mention the awful voice acting), I played about 15 hours of 12 and realized I hated all the characters. Also you can't seriously think that 13 had "god-like story". That was one of the worst game I have ever had the misfortune of playing.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
PedroSteckecilo said:
Are you saying this could be... *puts on glasses* the final fantasy?

Anyway, all I have to say is about damn time. I don't know why but it annoys me to no end having a game title that is a blatant lie. Final Fantasy was not final. How could it be? There have been, what, like 20 sequels? I am very "meah" about the series anyway so take it for what it is.

MXRom

Jan 10, 2013
Personally I felt that by Final Fantasy was the final 'good' game. I tried to like FF XII, I really did, but the gaming was slow, the story was all over the place, and when I saw the previews, I couldn't tell the genders of half the cast.

Even the Biggs and Wedge cameos no longer feel clever, and more just shoehorned in...

ChocoROID

Feb 3, 2013
I look forward to 15, Just like a looked forward to 13.
I will enjoy 15, just like I enjoyed 13.

I may LOVE 15, just like I loved 13.
I therefore may consider 15 the best ever Final Fantasy on all counts, just like I currently consider 13 the best at the moment.

And who knows? Maybe I'll die defending 15 like I do 13.

*Can't wait for all the people still wearing their ff7 t-shirts to complain that 15 wont be old school RPG.*

Austin Howe

Dec 5, 2010
Personally I'm hype as shit for it aside from the lack of female characters (a historic strength of the series). As for the whole change thing . . . it's Final Fantasy, it has always been defined by constantly rethinking it's own approach and remixing different elements to find different results, and that's when it's feeling conservative and doesn't just go ahead and throw the baby out with the bathwater and start damned near from scratch. That FFXV looks very different from any of the games before it (especially since it looks so dark and bleak) is what makes me excited for it. Sales are sales, but in a lot of ways, I can't even be mad about FFXII or FFXIII because they showed that the series singular consistent quality was alive and well.

Austin Howe

Dec 5, 2010
The_Merchant said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
Now Final Fantasy is "Modern" like every other game
Now Final Fantasy is Brown and Grey like every other game
Now Final Fantasy is Macho like every other game

''brown and grey''
''modern''
My thoughts exactly. If nothing else, for the first time, Final Fantasy seems to be exclusively black.

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
Wait, we're playing as more then one character?

News to me. Though, I remember to see the dark haired guy who seems to be the main talking to some other girl in a trailer waaay long back. I think female characters are going to be important, even if we don't directly follow them.

I mean, as long as I don't have to see Serah or Vanille or Lightning or Hope ever again. Terrible female characters. Hrm... maybe not the first though, she was mostly a crystal under aged chick during my time around her.

But you know? Whatever. You can get oddly upset about it, but at least it's not another thirteen. Or four.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
To be honest, I don't really think Final Fantasy has changed that much... I personally just think I have outgrown it.

I liked FF7 and 8 when I was little, elementary school and middle school age, basically. Those games were awesome back then because they were sometimes scary, often colorful, sometimes silly, sometimes "cool".

I liked FF9 when I was in High School, and I still enjoy it somewhat for its story (which is really great), sound and general design, and for having solid classic gameplay.

With FF10, I started hating FF. Maybe it was the shift to full voice acting that made the characters unbearable to me. Maybe it was because I felt I had outgrown JRPGs as a genre. I was much more interested in strategy games and western RPGs, and in creating my own worlds via RPG Maker and in my pen and paper campaigns. The silly, often incoherent, FF settings just didn't appeal to me that much. In retrospect, this applies to FF7 and 8, though 9 somehow has a special place in my memory.

I don't really think that the FF titles are getting worse. They have always been linear, partially silly or cliché ridden, but flashy. However: the current generation leaves much less to the imagination (which is probably why Squeenix doesn't want to revisit FFVII) and that makes it much harder for a new generation of gamers to fill these games with their imagination like they did up until FFX.

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
shameduser said:

Sorry that appears rude of me to say, But Calling final fantasy dead due to X is really a lie.

I mean, final fantasy X had an amazing battle system, a fun and enjoyable unique storyline, Nice characters, funbags, you name it! What isn't to enjoy?

Final fantasy 12 was.. ok star wars FF, I can see that

FF XIII was linear and boring, but FF XIII-2 was fun, enjoyable and a pretty nice game to play through!

FF XIV a realm reborn is shaping up very nicely from what i've seen

TYPE-0 was a badass addition to the series and I hope it gets some form of NA/PAL release.

And FF XIV looks to be very VERY fun! Combat more action packed than KH? you bet your ass that's great! Isn't the reason we play games is to have fun, with a good game?

The ff games are getting better, bit by bit, and you should enjoy that!

Nov 28, 2007
Honestly, I'm looking forward to this a bit, now that I've seen the character designs. It's an indication that SE might be moving in a new direction. Is that a bad thing? Considering how their recent games seem to be treated on here, I would think people would be happier.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Hazy said:
My only gripe is with Noctis' kapris. Those look pretty silly. But aside from that, I like what I'm seeing.

There seems to be quite a few homages to Hamlet as well.
Really interested now. Always was but I like the sound of the Hamlet connections.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Glongpre said:
Why is Final Fantasy X bad? Someone fill me in...
It's not bad at all. Just as important to the Playstation 2 as Final Fantasy VII was to the original Playstation. The sphere grid is kind of rubbish, it is just as much of a hallway as XIII until you get the airship, the voice acting and dialogue is a bit off at times, but other than those, a solid game and pretty much par for the series.