We're all Trevor Phillips.

Thr33X

Aug 23, 2013
An observation I made about everyone's favorite sociopath.

Trevor Philips is not the prototypical GTA character as some of you claim him to be. He's not even a prototypical video game character. Unlike Joel or Ellie from TLOU or even any protagonist from previous GTA games, there's no space for you to ever endear yourself to Trevor like you might have with say...CJ or Niko. He's a character that you're merely observing from afar as you play. His backstory exists as does Frank and Mike's but how it's shape him into his current persona is irrelevant to the persona itself, which I think and believe wholehearted that Rockstar did purposefully. In it's creative and always satirical stylings, Trevor Philips is not that of man in a midlife crisis or a gangbanger in transition. Trevor is a satire of US...and by "us", I mean all of us who have played GTA games from the very onset.

Every murderous rampage. Every killing spree. Every time you run around and punch people out on the street just for kicks or antagonize the poilce or even drive around GTAO killing "noobs". Every consequence-less violent impulse that GTA has afforded it's player base from the top-down original to now is personified in Trevor. He acts simply on impulse...no thought process, no repercussion, no remorse to what he does or who he does it to. Trevor is the typical GTA player made "flesh". The debate has always been about "how GTA should be played". In Franklin and Michael, you have the Rockstar tried and true developer vision of the GTA archetype-being "from rags to riches". In Trevor you have the tried and true player vision- being "kill indiscriminately for pleasure" (which kind of makes you wonder about the "average" GTA player, but that's another discussion).

His background story is purely aesthetic...it holds little to no significance to his character save for how he interacts with other characters, because he would just as soon (and in cases almost does) lash out at Michael and Frankiln violently for the most simple reason. The only difference with them and the rest of the world is that he has a reason to lash out to them. Everyone else is just his targets.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
Too many people say that the protagonist needs to be relate-able and connect to the player in some way, and this was a nice breath of fresh air where he had no redeeming qualities.

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
I don't know crap about GTA V other than it broke sales records. I love that something came out THIS console generation that topped CoD. Nothing against CoD, but its success was stifling the industry. With Skyrim and GTA both making large splashes in the pool, not to mention Minecraft, we may be seeing sandboxes about to be spammed. Knowing this alone makes me give GTA5 a thumbs up.

That alone did not make me want to play it. So I don't know Frank from Trevor. I can't even tell you what hair color they have. But your analogy makes me want to play it now. It would be interesting just to watch the story from that perspective.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I thought that was the whole point of Trevor, Trevor = You, the player. Though his mad shifts from shouting at Michael to being best buds between missions surely wasn't supposed to represent the player's random indecision and unexplained actions.

aozgolo

Mar 15, 2011
I think it's important to realize that entertainment doesn't necessarily rely on relateable characters, it just needs entertaining ones. Take the success of Breaking Bad, as much as we might sympathize with who he was, I find it hard to justify looking up to Walter White as any kind or role model (though there are some who would argue with me), but I find the success of that show is in watching good guy turn bad, and gives some modicum of "story justification" to how a psychopath comes about without making us need to really relate to him, though it's a lot easier to find Walter White relateable than Trevor.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
And that's exactly what makes Trevor my favorite GTA protagonist of all time: he seems to live the way I want to play in that world. He fits.
It's like if they made Catlina the protagonist of GTA San Andreas; think about how much MORE fun that game would've been.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Nah nah, see that's not true. My name is Jack. Jack plays the way Jack does: With Jackitude!

briankoontz

May 17, 2010
Games are utterly different from real life and therefore the morality is completely different.

Pixels don't feel pain or sorrow, and furthermore unlimited reloads can restore the previous world-state. This encourages "bad behavior", precisely what we discourage in the real world since there can be terrible real world outcomes from bad behavior.

"Rampaging" in GTA isn't behaving like a sociopath - a very interesting experiment would be to take actual sociopaths, have them play GTA, and see if there's any difference between how they play and how others play the game. My guess is that sociopaths would rampage *less* in GTA than well-behaved people who use GTA to relieve stress.

A problem is that many of us wish games to become more similar to real life, and as the two converge there will be a merger of moralities as well - the recent movie 'Her' depicts an AI which seemingly can feel pain and sorrow - if video game characters one day can do so that radically changes how player morality functions in the game world.

One day "rampaging" in a video game might actually be sociopathic. But we're a very long way away from that.

Unlike the real world, collections of polygons are beyond good and evil.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
I couldn't agree less. I didn't like anything about Trevor.

And before anyone says "that's the point", I don't care. I want something good in a character. Fucking anything. Even Walter White has a couple good things going about him - a sense of ambition, pride in his work, etc. I look at Trevor and I see absolutely nothing. Something even remotely relatable would be nice.

That immerses me into the game / movie / TV show a lot more. A character that is supposed to be a commentary on the player / viewer just destroys the fourth wall for me and all immersion is lost. Hell, he's so over the top, crass, dim-witted, and unfunny that those traits alone can spoil the immersion plainly because it's just so unbelievable. He's a psycho and that's literally all there is about him.

On a related note - I do not understand GTA V's sense of humor. Its attempts at satire lack any sense of wit or subtlety. Plus, the points they're trying to make are blatantly obvious and overdone bullshit. Consumerism, obesity, and certain aspects of right-wing politics are bad, I get it. Trust me, I get it. You've been beating that dead horse for the past few games now. It's isn't exactly breaking news or something that makes me stop and think. And most importantly, it doesn't make me laugh.

And the "jokes" that aren't political or based on social problems are just nonsensical toilet humor. How anyone thought this was good writing, I'll never know.

MrGonzales

Nov 7, 2013
Trevor doesn't work as a representation of a GTA player. Yahtzee already covered why in an Extra Punctuation post months ago: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/10656-GTAVs-Characters-Are-Just-Bad

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Trev was always just "woah, look how crazy I am, I'm sooo crazeh!" and it just wore thin quickly, then at the end he just turned into a whiny ass when he realized Brad was buried in Micheal's grave ... he just banged on and on about it.

He probably was meant to be "the player" but I'm not much of a lunatic, I just like to play through the story. Only go loco when the game wants me to or on the very rare occasion.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
FalloutJack said:
Nah nah, see that's not true. My name is Jack. Jack plays the way Jack does: With Jackitude!
Seems to me you're just Jacking off.

OT: I probably figured out that trevor is a GTA player analog by trailer 2 of this game. He does fit, though. And the thing is, we know that pixels aren't real. We know the difference between an actual person and a bot made to look like one. And I think we will forever understand that difference.

Does killing a virtual person make someone a psychopath? Well, if that were true, then I would suggest that me, everyone on this forum and everyone on many surrounding gaming forums should check in to an asylum immediately before we harm any more pixelated people or pidgeys.

But the thing is that Fox News and other anti-gaming people have already been arguing that point for a while and it hasn't stuck. It hasn't ever stuck. Science itself has disproven that point. We know the difference between reality and fantasy, and that in turn is what makes fantasy so fun to abuse. You want to ride a fire dragon into a village and burninate the lot in your imagination? Go right ahead. They're not actual people and this is not an actual world that will have actual consequences. Don't commit any real crimes and you're just as sane as everyone else.

Thr33X

Aug 23, 2013
MrGonzales said:
Trevor doesn't work as a representation of a GTA player. Yahtzee already covered why in an Extra Punctuation post months ago: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/10656-GTAVs-Characters-Are-Just-Bad
So...because Yahtzee makes a video about a similar topic, I'm not supposed to have my own opinion? Sorry, but I'll pass on the video, but thank you for his...I mean "your" opinion.