We're seeking a PC build writer, and you can apply!

Decepticon_Prime

Sep 13, 2015
there are a lot of things to consider when building a new PC, but here are the cliff's notes for those that just want to jump on in.

1.) AMD FX-4350 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $89.89 OutletPC

This CPU is somewhat modest, but it is still an AM3+ Socket. It boasts a 4.2GHz core clock and is readily overclocked.
It will be quite sufficient to play even a lot of the more demanding games out there.

2.)ASUS M5A99X Motherboard. $116.99 Newegg

This motherboard has one of the best know reputations for this socket. It is known for it's reliability and price to performance value. it can take up to a FX-8350 and still give it a respectable overclock. It also supports a Front-side USB header for USB 3.0 for easy access.

3.)Kingston Savage 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $47.97 Newegg
Name brand is not od utmost importance, what is important is configuration, in 1x8 you will get 8GBs of RAM and be able to add another later for dual channel. Higher MHz will make video rendering less painful.

4.) Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $49.89 OutletPC
This will be your boot drive and boasts performance WELL outside of standard HDD's. It will store your OS and making booting and reading MUCH faster.

5.) Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $43.00 Amazon
Hitachi was selected for one reason; durability. It edged out WD on the anvil test, where data is written and re-written until the unit fails.

6.) MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB Video Card $239.00 Superbiz
This card is a great beginners card. It supports a full 4GB of VRAM for those of you who like modding Skyrim. For those worried about $5 less on the power bill, the GTX 960 is a good option.

7.) Raidmax ATX-295WBP ATX Mid Tower Case w/500W Power Supply $59.99 Newegg
Most cases with PSUs have their PSUs located at the top, this gem has it located at the bottom. Is also has a window, durable looking exterior, and front side USB inputs. the
included PSU is removable in case you upgrade your PSU to something more beefy.

Total Cost $645.71
Full parts list http://pcpartpicker.com/p/w9ypP6

masonvand

Sep 13, 2015
Building the ultimate budget console killer.

A lot of gamers these days turn towards consoles for multiple reasons: they're inexpensive, and ?easier to use.? That's not always the case considering that building a PC has never been easier and more affordable.

The parts? This build only involves 7 separate components and are as follows:

The AMD A10-7850K APU- a budget powerhouse. This is not your dad's processor. As a matter of fact, it's an inexpensive processor that, aside from housing 4 cores clocked at a comfortable 3.7 GHz, also contains a whopping 512 stream processors; individual compute units for gaming. That's right, this is a system on a chip that was developed for out of the box gaming.

The Motherboard- The Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-DS2H: A solid, inexpensive motherboard. It's not something you would want to overclock on, but it's just right for the build.

The RAM ? Kingston Savage DIMMs: In this case, I've opted for a single 8 gigabyte stick of 2400 MHz RAM. RAM speed is not usually crucial, but when using an APU, higher RAM speeds can mean higher FPS in games.

The Case ? The Fractal Design Core 1000: Nothing special, a solid case from a reputable dealer.

The Power Supply ? The Corsair CX 430: Like the Core 1000, it's a solid PSU from an amazing brand. It's 80+ bronze certified, which means that this power supply is reliable and efficient, so you don't have to worry about literally blowing up your computer. It's also semi-modular, which means that some cables are removable if you don't need them.

The Operating System ? This one's up to the user. Windows 10 is out, and it's amazing. You can pick up a copy for around $100. If Windows isn't your thing, then hop over to Ubuntu.com and get a free copy of Ubuntu Linux 14.04, a solid and easy to use OS.

The Storage ? Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 Terabyte: Reliable, and plentiful.

(NOW, considering the length of this, I'm going to streamline the ?build guide portion?)

Unpackage the motherboard and set it on top of the box. Touch something metal to ground yourself. Carefully remove the CPU from it's box, lift the metal retention arm on the CPU socket, and place it in the CPU slot on the motherboard, aligning the arrows on the CPU and the motherboard. Place the retention arm back down- there should not be a struggle. Get the heatsink from the CPU box (the big metal piece that isn't the CPU) and place it over the CPU socket, aligning the two clips. Clip the heatsink on to the board. Next, place the 8GB ram stick in to the ram slot on the board, it only fits in one way. Press it in until the two prongs on the sides click and hold it firmly. Place the motherboard in the case, after removing both side panels, so that the I/O faces through the I/O shield on the back of the case. Screw in all six screws on the motherboard. Place the power supply in the compartment in the case and screw in the four required screws. Run all necessary cables from the power supply and case to the proper inputs on the motherboard. Refer to the motherboard's manual for information. Next, search ?Windows USB boot drive? or ?Linux USB boot drive? on youtube.

You just built a Battlefield 4 ready PC for a little over 300 big boys.
PCPARTPICKER : https://pcpartpicker.com/user/masonvand/saved/#view=RqM7YJ
Possible upgrades include more RAM, better storage, and better graphics.
Graphics upgrades can include the AMD R7 240 or 250 for crossfire.

(All apologies to Escapist Magazine for the 550 word entry. You just can't fit the necessary information in a 300 word submission. Thanks!)

Robert B. Marks

Jun 10, 2008
Hi all!

I offered to provide some writerly words of wisdom from a regular contributor, and the editor in chief said "Go ahead!" So, here they are...

1. The first rule of writing is to write about the important stuff. In an op-ed column like Garwulf's Corner, that's fairly easy to do. But, even though this is not quite the same sort of op-ed column, the same thing still applies. It has to be about more than just the hardware - talk about how that hardware will make the reader's PC build dreams happen, and why. So long as you can follow the first rule, you can make them care, and keep them reading.

2. Get ahead of your schedule. Don't just write the upcoming installment, write the ones following it too. That way, if life happens and something comes up, you're not going to be scrambling.

3. The editor is your friend. I really mean that. You know that last Garwulf's Corner about the Hugo Awards? I think my editor and I went through about 3 different passes on that to dial it in. Very few writers are good editors of their own work (at best, they are competent) - the reason is simple: they're just too close to it. If there's something missing, your editor will find it.

4. Have fun with it!

And, good luck to everybody!

Decepticon_Prime

Sep 13, 2015
Robert B. Marks said:
Hi all!

I offered to provide some writerly words of wisdom from a regular contributor, and the editor in chief said "Go ahead!" So, here they are...

1. The first rule of writing is to write about the important stuff. In an op-ed column like Garwulf's Corner, that's fairly easy to do. But, even though this is not quite the same sort of op-ed column, the same thing still applies. It has to be about more than just the hardware - talk about how that hardware will make the reader's PC build dreams happen, and why. So long as you can follow the first rule, you can make them care, and keep them reading.

2. Get ahead of your schedule. Don't just write the upcoming installment, write the ones following it too. That way, if life happens and something comes up, you're not going to be scrambling.

3. The editor is your friend. I really mean that. You know that last Garwulf's Corner about the Hugo Awards? I think my editor and I went through about 3 different passes on that to dial it in. Very few writers are good editors of their own work (at best, they are competent) - the reason is simple: they're just too close to it. If there's something missing, your editor will find it.

4. Have fun with it!

Thank you for your words of wisdom. I do have some points to make where it concerns PC construction.
When writing about "how it will make their dreams come true" it helps to know what those dreams are. in 200-300 words, that is asking a lot.
Did they want a media editing rig? then we need faster RAM. how does faster RAM help in rendering content? Is this a concern if I just want to game? why cant I have a PC that DOES EVERYTHING for less than $400? You see, the criteria was for a system that was great for price vs performance, but that is a given, what really needs clarification is who is wanting this system?, and why? Is it college kids that are on a budget of maybe $700? is it a gamer wanting the MOST out of the system? is it a guy with a big YouTube following that needs rendering power? or is it just mom and dad that want a home media machine that can hold a ton of movies?
Price to performance is on all of our minds when building, but without knowing for whom we are building it, we are left with simply the hardware. And if we build a machine THEN start talking about what it would be great for, 200-300 word mini articles are all but out of the question.

Rhykker

Level 16 Scallywag
Feb 28, 2010
Decepticon_Prime said:
Hey Decepticon!

You raise some good questions. The primary focus here is to create gaming rigs that deliver the best performance-to-cost ratio, but we don't want to exclude the possibility of other systems in the future.

The actual column will be roughly 1000 words - the 200-300 word constraint here is just so that we can get a sample of A. your writing style and B. your ability to put together a system.

Cheers!

Decepticon_Prime

Sep 13, 2015
As someone who puts together systems regularly, i get asked "what is the best?" In my opinion the best system is the one that grows. You see, the problem with some systems, namely those carried in big box stores, is that you do not have a good idea of how soon they will be outdated.

One of my favorite platforms to build on is AM3+. it has been my go to for a cost vs. performance platform in the $700-$800 range for a while now. And will continue to be until prices for DDR4 go down. That being said take a look at this build http://pcpartpicker.com/p/w9ypP6 This is the kind of build that allows a user to start doing CPU intensive tasks right away, but the real glory behind it is it's ability to upgrade. The ASUS M5X99A R.2 is a great motherboard with support for a beast of a chip for gamers, the FX-8350. It is one of the most versatile motherboards out there, and it does this without asking for all your nuka cola caps.

another feature of this build is The SSD drive. If you are not familiar with SSDs, it is a good time to start. not only are SSDs faster, and more resistant to physical damage, they also make less noise and weigh a lot less. The Kingston SSDnow V300 is a great place to start housing your OS. It has FAR better boot times than any HDD I have seen, and comes in at a very affordable sub $50 range.

The next, and most controversial, part of this build is my choice to go with the MSI Radeon R9 380 it actually is a smidgen more powerful at the cost of heat and power consumption. If this is truly an issue for you, any GTX 960 would be a decent replacement.

What this system will allow you to do is get started on your gaming *now*, and work up to a beast later without having to change motherboards. The one downside I see to it is that the first real upgrade you would need to make would be the power supply unit. I would likely throw in a 750 to 850 watt unit. Oh, and do yourself a favor; try to get at least a semi-modular design. you and your case will appreciate the reduction in cables and increase in cable management.

Ylla

Jul 14, 2014
Decepticon_Prime said:
I noticed that but I just tried to fill as much info as i could into my 400 words (no, i didnt achieve 300), being able to be sparse and do simple declarative sentences that communicate as much information as possible is yet another skill you need for writing, i suppose.
Also my Captcha agrees XD it says: Yes Definitely.

Also Robert Marks advice is very appreciated, its more about what you will be able to do with the hardware than the hardware itself.

garwynn

Sep 10, 2015
Robert B. Marks said:

4. Have fun with it!

Took this to heart and edited my post. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/9.882129.22232702] Hopefully this helps put it in better perspective.

garwynn

Sep 10, 2015
piscian said:
Hmph, So I'm not interested in the position at this time, but for credibility purposes I'm a Network Engineer III and work in one of the Largest Network Lab facilities in the United States(They do Daily tours of it.) and I work on this stuff all day. I can present evidence via pm if needed. I took the time to read through this thread because I was very very disappointed with the last time The escapist tried to do this kind of column and wanted to give my two cents.

On initial browsing, of the posters, this one is the most technically accurate in regards to the quality, functionality and price point of the hardware. I still have some qualms regarding some choices from a Master race perspective, but all of the other posters seem to be more interested in hitting price quotas than Hardware performance and quality of the physical components.

Just my two cents. It's probably asking too much but I think whomever ends up in the position should be able to back up their choices with reviews and or test data. Last time Escapist posted one of these it was like the person just randomed up a cart on newegg. If garwynn fleshed this out into a full detailed post I as a random clicker would take the time to read his/hers hows and whys.
Thank you for the feedback! I'm in a much smaller environment (IT Manager [https://www.linkedin.com/in/garwynn]) but was recommended by a friend to put something together here since he felt it was right up my alley. I respect that from a PCMR perspective this isn't one of the most "sexy" systems, and certainly the G3258 OC'd with a good 240mm rad (either pre-filled or custom loop) could fit the bill. But I went this route for a few reasons:

1) Biggest bang for buck out of the gate. That G3258, even overclocked, will suffer in some games from a lack of hyper-threading. It also experiences games with some issues blocking it (some can be bypassed.) The i3, while losing OC, is a much more stable and easy-to-use machine as soon as it's built. Maybe not an issue for experienced folks but for those doing this as a first build that ease of use is crucial. And once we get above the i3 the Core series still beats AMD for CPU-intensive applications or CPU-bound games... for now.

Also i5 + HDD or i3 + SSD + HDD: Second option removes a bottleneck at a arguably minimal performance loss for GPU-bound gaming.

2) Upgrades will happen. It's the nature of the beast. There's nothing that convinces me (for now) that Skylake is worth the premium; a user in this budget range will get far more options upgrading this system and can easily do so in pieces. Want to get that 4690K with a rad? Both the 110 Elite and SPEC-01 allow for a 120mm rad loop easily and the SPEC-01 can easily fit a 240 in the front if want/need to go more. The GTX 970 allows them to get a great gaming choice right now and focus on the logical choice of a CPU upgrade before anything else.

Also, if go with a SPEC-01 case, potential buyer may want to look at a microATX or ATX board for the PCI-E slots that would allow further expansion, such as m.2 card, SLI/Crossfire and additional headers on the board. (Cases are upgrades too!)

3) Power consumption. I love AMD for certain uses but I also acknowledge that electricity is EXPENSIVE for some. I used to pay in Japan 4 times the amount for the same electric use in US. After all, if a person is on a budget to build a PC, likely they are on a budget for their utility bills as well.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I don't know much about computer parts and I'm not very good at writing, but I'm going to apply anyway.

How To Build A Computer For Cheep-Cheep. ;)
First you are going to want to go to your local electronic supplier. To save gas you can opt to walk or bike, if the store is not too far away. Another option is to take the bus, be sure to get a seat to reduce the chances of getting groped!

Next you want to find the computer section. Once there, buy the cheapest computer you can find. Get back on your bike and lug the computer home.

Once home, open box. If you cannot open box, get back on your bike and return computer. Otherwise, remove the tower (the big metal rectangle), the monitor (the miniature TV screen), the power cord (the black rubber snake), and the HDMI cable (the thick garrote wire). Now, plug the power cord into the wall, the monitor into the HDMI cable and the tower to everything else.

You are now gaming elite! ;0

[HEADING=1]First you are going to want to go to your local electronic supplier. To save gas you can opt to walk or bike, if the store is not too far away. Another option is to take the bus, be sure to get a seat to reduce the chances of getting groped![/HEADING]

[HEADING=1]Next you want to find the computer section. Once there, buy the cheapest computer you can find. Get back on your bike and lug the computer home.[/HEADING]

[HEADING=1]Once home, open box. If you cannot open box, jump back on your bike and return computer. Otherwise, remove the tower (the big metal rectangle), the monitor (the miniature TV screen), the power cord (the black rubber snake), and the HDMI cable (the thick garrote wire). Now, plug the power cord into the wall, the monitor into the HDMI cable and the tower to everything else.[/HEADING]
Okah, please pay me all the monies now.

garwynn

Sep 10, 2015
Just a note - for November I'm still sticking with my original build recommendation as conditions haven't changed enough to merit a modification.

Dectomax

Jun 17, 2010
GPU GTX 960 $220
MOTHERBOARD MSI Z97 LGA 1150 $150
CPU i5 4690k $275
RAM Corsair RAM 16GB $85
CPU COOLER Corsair Hydro H55 $80
POWER SUPPLY EVGA 650WT $105
SSD Samsung 120GB SSD $80
HARD DRIVE WD HDD 1TB $70
CASE Cosair Case $60 -
$850

A non-budget, budget build, as it were. Whilst this won't force your socks to be blown from your feet in raw power, it will quite happily play just about anything you want for the next few foreseeable years. Which as a new entree to the PC gaming world, you will probably appreciate. From Minecraft to Fallout 4, you'll be able to power it up, install the games and play. No overclocking, tuning or external forces of tech support required. So, what do we have under the hood? Let's look!

We start off with a humble, yet powerful GTX960. This little fella is right in the middle of mid-tier components. Suitable for just about anything, as long as you don't run a NASA simulation of the Universe ( Sorry NASA, if you're reading this. ) Followed by a sturdy and reliable MSI board, that features future safe components. Upgrading RAM? Got you covered. Want a new sound card? covered. Suitable for a range of Processors under the Intel wing, you'll be able to upgrade easily.
Following onwards, we picked up an Intel i5 4690k. Overclockable, powerful, and fast this CPU will do just about anything you want it to, all at a great price point.

Moving onto the less important, but still shiny pieces, we have a hearty sixteen gigabytes of RAM, you'll be surfing the web, playing games and whatever else you can imagine with little to no slow down ( we all know the pain of a slow PC... ) six hundred and fifty watts of clean and reliable power. A corsair brand liquid cooler with no manual cleaning required, and a one terabyte hard drive for storing all your bits and bobs. On top of this, we chose an SSD for the operating system, decreasing boot time ( The time it takes your PC to start ) and a spacey Corsair Carbide series case, to keep everything quiet and looking neat.

Whilst it comes in at a slightly strong price point, it is a great starting place for any emerging PC gamer joining the club.