Westboro Baptist Chruch is coming to my town...

RamirezDoEverything

Jan 31, 2010
On August 6th, Marine Corps Sgt Daniel Patron was killed in Sangin Afghanistan.
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/cantonrep/obituary.aspx?page=lifestory&pid=153038915

Then, I stumble upon this..
http://www.godhatesfags.com/fliers/20110811_Dead-Soldier-Canton-OH-Daniel-Patton.pdf

So escapist, what should we do about it?
I will be standing outside of the church to support the family, if they do happen to show up and disrupt the funeral, what should we do? Complain to the police that they're disturbing the police? Pretend we can't hear them?

I just have no clue what to think about this...

UPDATE

Apparently, the WBC decided to show up BUT, The Patriotic Guard showed up and blocked them from getting ANYWHERE near the funeral, made me really feel good about the world

TheRenaissanceMan

Invent Combustible Lemons
Jun 1, 2010
Organize a counter-protest. If you can get enough people to protest against the Westboro Baptist Church people then maybe they'll just go away.

All else fails, a night in jail for assault seems like a fair price to pay for breaking the nose of one of the protestors.

dillirgaf

Dec 29, 2008
i thought there there is a group of bikers that follow these anal zits around and hold up signs that block theirs?

0p3rati0n

Apr 14, 2009
Kill them all. No one will stop you. In fact you'll probably get a medal for it.

OT- Counter protest. Passive aggressiveness can be pretty awesome at points.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Carry a sign reading "I WAS TOLD THERE'D BE A PROTEST AND RIOT BUT ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY SIGN".

Have ten other people do the same.

MrMoustaffa

Oct 3, 2010
do you have a local biker club chapter nearby. I know theres a couple that consist solely of military vets, and they'll attend funerals like this and drown out Westoboro with about 50 harley Davidsons. I live in Kentucky and I know we have a few chapters down here. Can't remember their name to save my life though. I want to say "American Legion" EDIT: Another poster pointed out that they could be the Patriot Guard Riders, which sounds about right. I remember this site had an article about them not too long ago that somebody posted in the forums, cant find it though.

Other forms of counterprotest would be to form a barrier of people between the family and the Westboro people, and hold as many comforting signs as you can to block them from view. Sing songs, play patriotic music over a PA, or just make noise in general to drown them out (this is where 50 Harleys come in handy. I've also heard stories of using trucks, tractors, choirs, and marching bands to drown them out, but I'm not sure how accurate they are.)

Long story short, be as comforting to the family as possible. Show them that people still care about them and will support them, and that those Westboro simpletons are the exception, not the rule. DO NOT use violence, as that just gives them more ammo to spew their hate with. Not to mention they'll sue you into next week, as they apparently get punched in the face all the time (wonder why.)

EDIT:

i thought there there is a group of bikers that follow these anal zits around and hold up signs that block theirs?
Ok good I'm not crazy, yes this is what I thought too. Theres an article somewhere in the forums that covers them and how they deal with Westboror, but I couldnt find it

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Clever counter protest. And don't let them get to you. Just make some subtle posters and stand there with them, trying to make them really, really uncomfortable. And if they try to talk to you, just smile and wave.

If you get a decent group of people to do exactly that, you'll defeat them easily.

Holyeskimo

Jul 14, 2010
Get a permit for a block party or one that will let you blast music, then set up near the funeral, and blast pro american country, with the occasion song about homosexual activities, i suggest starting with what what in the butt, and then some of the pro american stuff and then just mix it up from there.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
TheRenaissanceMan said:
All else fails, a night in jail for assault seems like a fair price to pay for breaking the nose of one of the protestors.
Ah, but is it worth the lawsuit? They'll sic one on you, I guarantee it.

Arizona Kyle

Aug 25, 2010
RamirezDoEverything said:
On August 6th, Marine Corps Sgt Daniel Patron was killed in Sangin Afghanistan.
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/cantonrep/obituary.aspx?page=lifestory&pid=153038915

Then, I stumble upon this..
http://www.godhatesfags.com/fliers/20110811_Dead-Soldier-Canton-OH-Daniel-Patton.pdf

So escapist, what should we do about it?
I will be standing outside of the church to support the family, if they do happen to show up and disrupt the funeral, what should we do? Complain to the police that they're disturbing the police? Pretend we can't hear them?

I just have no clue what to think about this...
Ive got a helicopter on stand-by... WTF they are saying that they like that he died for there speech and they are saying good riddence to him W..T..F... I hope someone plants an IED in there path

GartarkMusik

Jan 24, 2011
MrMoustaffa said:
do you have a local biker club chapter nearby. I know theres a couple that consist solely of military vets, and they'll attend funerals like this and drown out Westoboro with about 50 harley Davidsons. I live in Kentucky and I know we have a few chapters down here. Can't remember their name to save my life though. I want to say "American Legion" or something like that, but that doesnt sound right. I remember this site had an article about them not too long ago that somebody posted in the forums, cant find it though.

Other forms of counterprotest would be to form a barrier of people between the family and the Westboro people, and hold as many comforting signs as you can to block them from view. Sing songs, play patriotic music over a PA, or just make noise in general to drown them out (this is where 50 Harleys come in handy. I've also heard stories of using trucks, tractors, choirs, and marching bands to drown them out, but I'm not sure how accurate they are.)

Long story short, be as comforting to the family as possible. Show them that people still care about them and will support them, and that those Westboro simpletons are the exception, not the rule. DO NOT use violence, as that just gives them more ammo to spew their hate with. Not to mention they'll sue you into next week, as they apparently get punched in the face all the time (wonder why.)
This, this, and this. Btw, I believe you're thinking of the Patriot Guard Riders. But as for OP, pretty much what MrMoustaffa said. Form a wall of LEVELHEADED people in front of the family to prevent the protesters from intruding on the funeral. And again, don't get violent.

Uber Evil

Mar 4, 2009
See if you can find any upstanding people within the community to try and make them leave.

Kpt._Rob

Travelling Mushishi
Apr 22, 2009
They're a bunch of morons who're just out for attention. Follow the age old advice, and don't feed the trolls.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
DarkRyter said:
Release rabid dogs within vicinity.

Dogs live outside the law.
good point, excellent idea.
would you also consider sodomy (buttsex) as a form of counterprotest? that and a sign saying 'Jesus was a Jew, Stop Being Butthurt'

Australian Justice
Jan 30, 2010
Deal with it the Australian way. a good old punch-up. don't worry they're not going to actually fight back. the one thing WBC probably fears more then God is the entire american population playing Duck Hunt: Westboro Baptist Version.

EDIT: I'm not condoning murder by the way. but in this case fight fire with fire.