Westboro Baptists Stage Fake Anonymous Threat

Faladorian

May 3, 2010
Dastardly said:
Tom Goldman said:
What's this, Anonymous? You're discovering you don't have control over who dons your mantle for whatever cause they see fit? Someone does something under the guise of Anonymous, and here's what happens--they suddenly act all "Wait, no we didn't."

Yes, you did. Even if it's just a handful of Anon fans playing pretend, you did it. Even in the extremely unlikely event that WBC had the presence of mind to somehow stage this themselves, which I highly doubt judging by their history, you did it.

You created a mask that shields you from the accountability you try to enforce on others, and now some of those sort of people are adopting the mask and using it to dodge accountability in the same way. You use guerrilla tactics to "enforce" free speech, and yet you act surprised when people discover they can use those same tactics to enforce whatever limits they want to put on the speech of others.

You created the mask. You set the terms of engagement. You did this, and everything that comes after it. Welcome to the fundamental flaw of vigilantism.
They actually are an organization, though. People claiming to be part of Anonymous can be shut down because they aren't Anonymous, they're just anonymous.

I support Anon, seeing as they take everybody down a few pegs (Gene Simmons needed to be, and the US government is now, too. It's great). They hack a Congressman's twitter account, destroy HBGary's website and private archives, put thousand of emails up for free pickings, and what do they say once they're in? They spout a bunch of 4chan memes and laugh.

While they are dangerous, their heart is in the right place.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
9_6 said:
So "anonymous" has a spokesperson now or what?
That is what I am wondering. How does anyone know if Anonymous didn't send the letter? Does Anonymous always know what Anonymous is doing?

Nikki_Viper

Nov 30, 2010
Cpu46 said:
Dastardly said:
Tom Goldman said:
What's this, Anonymous? You're discovering you don't have control over who dons your mantle for whatever cause they see fit? Someone does something under the guise of Anonymous, and here's what happens--they suddenly act all "Wait, no we didn't."

Yes, you did. Even if it's just a handful of Anon fans playing pretend, you did it. Even in the extremely unlikely event that WBC had the presence of mind to somehow stage this themselves, which I highly doubt judging by their history, you did it.

You created a mask that shields you from the accountability you try to enforce on others, and now some of those sort of people are adopting the mask and using it to dodge accountability in the same way. You use guerrilla tactics to "enforce" free speech, and yet you act surprised when people discover they can use those same tactics to enforce whatever limits they want to put on the speech of others.

You created the mask. You set the terms of engagement. You did this, and everything that comes after it. Welcome to the fundamental flaw of vigilantism.

The way the article makes it sound there was no hacking attempt or threat by anyone claiming to be anonymous. It all came from within the WBC itself to gain publicity.
I don't think it's the actual hacking attempt he is talking about. If you make a mask of unaccountability. Everyone is invisible and can't be held to anything, no one knows what YOU'VE done or what other people are making up, it's hard to try and play "whodunnit?"

A bunch of fully masked people can send a letter to someone and then say "Didn't do it" and who could possibly know better? Someone else could fake an anonymous letter and who would know the difference? We don't know who they are to begin with, so an anonymous letter can easily be passed off as written by Anonymous.

Doesn't mean I agree with the poster's idea though... I'll have to read a tad more into it

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Funny thing is that the WBC guys get (rightfully so I might add) DDoS'd and trolled on a fairly regular basis, although I don't believe that has ever been part of any real Anon operation. But lying about a threat from Anon is downright pitiful. What's the matter, Fred? Isn't anybody paying attention to your little degenerate congregation anymore, so you resorted to crying wolf? Aw, how about a round of pity for Phelps and his retard followers...

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Thank fucking god. I figured not even Anon would be bad enough to go back on their own beliefs on freedom of speech.

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
Gah! These people again? I thought somebody would have 'gotten rid' of them by now. Seriously, they need their heads examined...

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
Chezzz said:
Tom Goldman said:
We count Beatrice Hall among our Anonymous forebears: 'I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.'"
Tell me if i'm wrong but didn't Voltaire say that?
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

* Ch. 7 : Helvetius : The Contradiction, p. 199; because of quote marks around the original publication of these words, they are often attributed to Voltaire, though Hall was not actually quoting him but summarizing his attitude with the expression. The statement was widely popularized when misattributed to Voltaire as a "Quotable Quote" in Reader's Digest (June 1934), but in response to the misattribution, Hall had been quoted in Saturday Review (11 May 1935), p. 13, as stating: I did not mean to imply that Voltaire used these words verbatim and should be surprised if they are found in any of his works. They are rather a paraphrase of Voltaire's words in the Essay on Tolerance ? "Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too."

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Evelyn_Beatrice_Hall

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Where are they based again?
I'd like to know where they are so that I can avoid them.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
*sighs* darn. That was my Christmas, Easter, and Birthday combined into one. Ah well, maybe they will still do it one day.

Anyways, I wish I could say I didnt care, but I had a rather... person, run in with one of the WBC this weekend.

Though... if they were going to sue IP addresses, why dont other corporations do this when attacked by Anon?

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
Waaait... they're seriously a church? I thought this is comedy site like Landover Baptists... /facepalm

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
DTWolfwood said:
hahaha XD

Don't these Christians know that Lying is a sin?
Actually it's not, just giving false testimony (as in court testimony) against your neighbor is. Common misunderstanding, but the 10 commandments aren't quite as clear as you might think.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Just when you thought that the WBC couldn't be more sad, pathetic, and detestable, they do something like this. This is just low. Even by their standards. Well... maybe not as low as protesting soldiers and childrens funerals... Still pretty low, though.

I'm curious as to who would admit to being a member of the WBC. They're just trolls. And this proves it even further.

Grimrider6

Aug 27, 2008
squid5580 said:
9_6 said:
That is what I am wondering. How does anyone know if Anonymous didn't send the letter? Does Anonymous always know what Anonymous is doing?
The Hive is in constant communication with itself. If any units splinter off and form a project group without communicating it to the collective, they effectively stand alone.

I assume a rough consensus was reached through mass discussion and this press release was issued spontaneously as a result of that. If you don't see another, contradictory press release then it means enough consensus was reached that nobody feels quite strongly enough to speak out.

Thing about Anon is, even though it lacks a formal leader or proper center of mass, it's frighteningly good at reaching consensus and coordinating itself.

Mr. Socky

Apr 22, 2009
I'm a Christian, and I hate these guys. They've turned Christianity into a farce and make us all look bad.
thethingthatlurks said:
DTWolfwood said:
hahaha XD

Don't these Christians know that Lying is a sin?
Actually it's not, just giving false testimony (as in court testimony) against your neighbor is. Common misunderstanding, but the 10 commandments aren't quite as clear as you might think.
Whether you consider lying a sin or not, it doesn't tend to make people happy. Ironically, if Westboro thinks of Superman as an idol, they probably consider lying a sin (which in and of itself isn't a radical belief). They should probably stop doing that, then.

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
Thedarkness77 said:
I have never heard of the WBC before but i hope get whats coming too them for this.
... you've never heard of WBC before? I congratulate you my friend, you've managed to skip over one of the most morally questionable groups of people in the history of attention seeking morons. I wish I didn't know about them.

OT: As much as I consider WBC a morally bankrupt sect of hatemongers, I'll very begrudgingly admit Anon has a point about free speech. I still wish more people would counter picket them, like at comic con, that shit was hilarious.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Grimrider6 said:
squid5580 said:
9_6 said:
The Hive is in constant communication with itself. If any units splinter off and form a project group without communicating it to the collective, they effectively stand alone.

I assume a rough consensus was reached through mass discussion and this press release was issued spontaneously as a result of that. If you don't see another, contradictory press release then it means enough consensus was reached that nobody feels quite strongly enough to speak out.

Thing about Anon is, even though it lacks a formal leader or proper center of mass, it's frighteningly good at reaching consensus and coordinating itself.
No no that isn't what I mean. What I mean is the article is implying it a prank or a hoax or a publicity stunt by the WBC. When it is just as likely that someone acted outside the Hive to push the agenda they thought would be Hive approved. You know because at first glance it doesn't sound outside of the realm of possibilities for Anonymous to do something like that.