Western Yakuza 4 Release Almost Entirely Intact, Says Sega

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Western Yakuza 4 Release Almost Entirely Intact, Says Sega

Sega is leaving in as much as it can in Yakuza 4 [http://www.amazon.com/Yakuza-4-Playstation-3/dp/B003QX4F7C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1286398585&sr=8-1], but says that there isn't time to leave in everything.

Getting parts cut off you is something of an occupational hazard for the Yakuza, and that applies whether you're a member, or just a videogame based on the organization. After raising the ire of a number of fans with the cuts in Yakuza 3, Sega is keen to reassure them that its successor has lost the end of a pinky, at most, rather than a whole hand.

Sega's Aaron Webber said that the hostess bars and mahjong games that had been excised from Yakuza 3 would survive intact in Yakuza 4. He also said that as far as he was aware, the sidequests had all been left in, and the only thing that definitely had been cut was the Japanese trivia quiz Answer X Answer. A similar quiz was cut from Yakuza 3 because it was considered to be too esoteric and exotic for Western gamers, but the reason behind Yakuza 4's cut was slightly more pragmatic.

Webber said that the quiz relied heavily on Japanese text in a custom animated font, and converting it all into English would simply take too much time, meaning that Yakuza 4 would miss its Spring 2011 release date. Webber argued that it was better for the game to be cut and for the Eastern and Western releases of the Yakuza games to get closer to each other - Yakuza 4 was released in Japan in March - then to allow them to remain so far apart.

Part of what appeals to many Yakuza fans is getting to roam around the streets of Tokyo and knowing that it's as about as authentic as you can get without actually going there, so the more that gets kept in the better. Yakuza 4 will be released for PlayStation 3 next Spring.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5656944/sega-yakuza-4-cuts-will-be-minor]

Jan 23, 2009
I've a feeling people interested in the "authentic" feel of roaming around Yakuza would be better off with the books describing the real-life accounts of the Yakuza.

That screen shot right there, does not scream "authentic" to me. Still what do I know, I've never been to japan, worn a while suit, or superpunched a dude.

Kelethor

Jun 24, 2008
I loved Yakuza 3 and im pleased that they are retaining as much of the original as possible.

Infernoshadow211

Nov 18, 2009
Well I don't think any of us American gamers know enough Japanese history to actually pass the quiz without cheating so I'm thinking it's ok to leave it out.

On a side note: you might wanna change the "u" to an "a" in the title of you article.

Nevyrmoore

Aug 13, 2009
Infernoshadow211 said:
On a side note: you might wanna change the "u" to an "a" in the title of you article.
What's wrong with it? It looks fine to me.

If the quiz is purely about Japanese culture, I doubt many players are going to know enough to be able to get through that without a guide, so in that respect, I can understand leaving it out.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I didn't get Yakuza 3, though I played the demo and didn't really enjoy the combat, but I'll definitely look into Yakuza 4. I've heard good things about the Yakuza series, so this will definitely be a blip on my radar.

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
Sneaklemming said:
I've a feeling people interested in the "authentic" feel of roaming around Yakuza would be better off with the books describing the real-life accounts of the Yakuza.

That screen shot right there, does not scream "authentic" to me. Still what do I know, I've never been to japan, worn a while suit, or superpunched a dude.
True dat, but they had to spice it up a bit, right? Can't have people dealing drugs and selling people to the sexual slave market in a videogame.

Anyways, I can't wait for this incredibly fictionialised Yakuza game to come out. Because Italian mobster games just don't take place in modern times these days.

Cavouku

Mar 14, 2008
Please tell me I'm not the only one who wants to see the Mafia II guys VS Yakuza IV guys.

Come on guys, it has to happen. That would be one of the best crossover a Deadliest Warrior fan could ask for.

Jan 23, 2009
Raziel_Likes_Souls said:
Sneaklemming said:

True dat, but they had to spice it up a bit, right? Can't have people dealing drugs and selling people to the sexual slave market in a videogame.
You make a very good point.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well - That makes a chance. Although I will admit I will wait till I see it. I just hope it comes through true

Fruitloops89

Feb 20, 2009
Ah spring will be a wonderfull time of year. Snow melting, birds returning, Marvel vs Capcom 3, and now Yakuza 4.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Why can?t they just hand it over to another company for adaptation to other markets?
I hope they forgive me for not pre-ordering right away. After butchering Y3, I?m going to wait and see what other cuts were made. I?m sure the fan community will make it very clear.
I wonder, do they take guns out of gta games for Japan? Is CJ running around with airsoft guns?