We've got A and AAA... what about AA?

Thandran

Feb 19, 2011
So I've seen what kind of games can be made with a budget of a couple of thousand and tens of millions dollars.

That made me think about what kind of games can be done with a budget that is in between? What do you think?

Longer Braid style games or shorter CoD style games? :)

Thandran

Feb 19, 2011
Serious Sam reminds me of Painkiller... both very fun games!

Seems like the industry needs more AA. F**k polygons and give me some fun! :D

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
I think a lot of current Jrpgs are in that AA place.

They have top notch anime voice actors and hand-drawn 2D pixel art (both of which costs tons of money) or really cute/epic manga-shading but they don't bother with all the hyper realism or physics and instead replace them with ultra-over the top action and interesting stories/battle systems.

Games like Disgaea 4 or Hyperdimension Neptunia.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Karutomaru said:
Dreiko said:
I think a lot of current Jrpgs are in that AA place.

They have top notch anime voice actors and hand-drawn 2D pixel art (both of which costs tons of money) or really cute/epic manga-shading but they don't bother with all the hyper realism or physics and instead replace them with ultra-over the top action and interesting stories/battle systems.

Games like Disgaea 4 or Hyperdimension Neptunia.
And Sengoku Basara and Madworld.

And a bunch of other ones we don't need to be mentioning cause we gave a general idea to people who wouldn't already know what we're talking about, who now do, making further examples not worth bothering with. :D

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
I'd consider things like Binary Domain AA. Games that aren't quite AAA but clearly have a higher budget etc than something small like an indie game.