Whack Dudes with Hammers in War of the Roses

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Kinguendo said:
What do you mean "Squad based"? Multiplayer or like an RPG where people follow you around?

Because I always found lone ranger by default more enticing in an RPG format with the option of others joining in, but its its multiplayer then I can dig it. Would that be like Monster Hunter then?

Thats another thing, why arent there any Monster Hunters on the 360?! Do they not know how many people have LIVE, and I vaguely remember online play being a big deal on the first one.
It's squad based in that the game will excel with teamwork from your counterparts. No word on whether there will be AI bots or not.

Greg

-Torchedini-

Gone Bonzo
Dec 28, 2009
Well I liked the combat in Mount&Blade only it was a bit off. But still, I could defeat almost everybody as long I had a greatsword. Good times. Those castle sieges were a lot of fun once you had a good bottleneck. Keep on slashing and killing :D.

So looking forward to this. I would love to have a try at some Piking business and Greatsword swinging. If this is as good as Dark Souls and M&B I'll buy on launch.

If you want to know more. Here's some more info on this game.

Still a bit old.(25 january) but very interesting.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Considering that Mount and Blade kind of took a nosedive with the latest expansion, I may be looking into this game if they brought tight production values and control to this one.

Dragonmaster3

Mar 30, 2010
Really looking forward to this game! I kind of like how the combat plays out, I understand the animations are a bit stiff, but it's still an alpha build so they'll have some time to polish it out.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
I was a little disappointed when I read that this is PC only - when I first read the title, it instantly struck me as something that would be cool with Kinect. Making the swinging motions of a warhammer would be really fun with that. It still looks pretty cool, though.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Since I didn't see any pictures of the actual hammer killing (though I could be blind) I'm wondering if this game features the fantasy "big huge hammer" warhammers, or more realistic "metal bullet on a long wooden handle" type warhammers like you see in armory museums? Just wondering because the latter rarely if ever shows up in gaming.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Greg Tito said:
I was an unstoppable force of blood-letting. Lancasters and Yorkshiremen fled before my wrath.
Some more nitpicking.
The House of York actually had very little to do with the North, Yorkshire actually fought for the House of Lancaster.

Not that Yorkshire and Lancashire ever get on at other times though. We even call cricket matches between the two The War of the Roses.

This looks like it'll be great fun though. Greatsword and plate armour for me.

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
Hell yeah.

I am sick to death of military shooters having a monopoly on mindless violence. Hand-to-hand medieval combat shouldn't always have to come packaged with RPG or tactical elements. This looks perfect.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
hazabaza1 said:
It looks like if Dark Souls had a baby with Mount and Blade!
What I mean is it looks good!
That's what I was thinking when I was looking at the screenshots.

Vetinarii

Aug 17, 2009
Blablahb said:
Are you sure the guy's name is not Van Dijk? It sounds Dutch. And if it's a Swedish company, it's unlikely to be an Americanised version.
More likely he is called Van Tyke. This is Yorkshire propaganda if ever there was one.

AmrasCalmacil said:
Greg Tito said:
I was an unstoppable force of blood-letting. Lancasters and Yorkshiremen fled before my wrath.
Some more nitpicking.
The House of York actually had very little to do with the North, Yorkshire actually fought for the House of Lancaster.

Not that Yorkshire and Lancashire ever get on at other times though. We even call cricket matches between the two The War of the Roses.

This looks like it'll be great fun though. Greatsword and plate armour for me.
Neither Lancaster or York were main supporters of either Kings. Henry did hold his power in the north though. Also: LANCASTRIANS GODDAMNIT!!!

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
Zhukov said:
So it's Mount & Blade's combat in a multiplayer deathmatch?

Ehhh... could work I guess. M&B's combat was always awfully clunky though. I really don't see it carrying a whole game without some serious polish.
Might be an idea to read the article before commenting on it?