What a Free-to-Play Pokemon Game Might Look Like

Esmeralda Portillo

Jun 16, 2014
What a Free-to-Play Pokemon Game Might Look Like

Fans create mock-ups of how a free-to-play Pokemon would function.

Ever wonder what a free-to-play Pokemon game might look like? Well wonder no longer because a reddit user [http://imgur.com/a/2KG6J] has provided a Photoshopped glimpse into how that type of game might function with today's FTP craze.

The examples have similar traits to many of the popular free-to-play games available right now. Instead of going to the nearest Poke Center for a quick check-in, you'll be forced to wait almost an hour--that is, unless you have enough currency to skip the wait. Gyms that are usually always open once you're powerful enough will be closed at certain hours for the poor Pokemon trainers.

And it seems like Professor Oak is a big advocate for social media.

[gallery=2987]

Source: Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/if-pok-mon-were-a-f2p-mobile-game-it-might-look-something-like-this-279117.phtml]

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Why do they do this? Don't they know people in high places see this and think "Hey, thats a great idea! Johnson, get on this now!"
"Sir, there is no Johnson working here... We're based in Japan and have no American workers present named Johnson."
"I don't care get him on it now!!"

frobalt

Jan 2, 2012
Sheen Lantern said:
Slow news day, huh.
That's what I thought too tbh.

I have seen this elsewhere on the internet, and I think this is a very cynical view on free to play games. Some F2P games work well - Doctor Who legacy is the prime example of this as you can play it entirely for free. The currency used is called 'time crystals', which drop rarely while playing and the devs often offer codes to give away some.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
A better description would be:

"Pokemon as a free-to-play title designed by EA"

Honestly, if you'd want Pokemon on your phone, you could just emulate it if you already bought the original game.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Sheen Lantern said:
Slow news day, huh.
The joys of the winter games drought.

You'd think AAA publishers would realize there is an untapped market for something to come out now, but nooooo they need to chase the christmas sales.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
Sheen Lantern said:
Slow news day, huh.
Considering these showed up on bloody memebase two weeks ago (which means they've probably been floating around for months), slow news in multiple senses.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
JarinArenos said:
Sheen Lantern said:
Slow news day, huh.
Considering these showed up on bloody memebase two weeks ago (which means they've probably been floating around for months), slow news in multiple senses.
Give The Escapist a break, messenger pigeons aren't as fast as the internet!

In other news, I just heard about this new Pokémon called Mew...

exobook

Sep 28, 2011
Ed130 The Vanguard said:
Sheen Lantern said:
Slow news day, huh.
The joys of the winter games drought.

You'd think AAA publishers would realize there is an untapped market for something to come out now, but nooooo they need to chase the christmas sales.
Christmas sales? We don't have any games to release for Christmas. They've all been delayed to 2015.