What accent can you do best?

Hawk eye1466

May 31, 2010
My friends tell me I have a perfect Irish accent and every time we go to the movies they want me to order the popcorn using it sometimes I start talking with it and don't realize it till someone askes why I'm talking like that.

Johnny Reb

Sep 12, 2010
when i get angry and start ranting i start speaking in an incoherent Irish tongue.

why is my uncle Lars always so angry. and why does he hang out on the weekend? its obviously starting to rub off on me.

LikeDustInTheWind

Mar 29, 2010
I can do a good Australian, English, and Irish accents, along with a whole bunch of strange voices. I have a massive amount of different character voices I can do.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
I've been able to do a wide variety of accents since I was an infant (I kid you not). The one that comes most naturally to me is a sort of silly Canadian accent. By that, I don't mean the kind where you say "Eh?" or "Aboot." I avoid THAT accent like herpes.

All I can really say about the accent I use is that I speak it with a slight underbite and say "Oh sure" a lot. I tend to use it in conjunction with a particular kind of kidding sarcasm.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
flamingjimmy said:
Years ago back at school I once fooled a substitute teacher into thinking I was from California (I am from Northern England). We only thought she'd be teaching us for one day but then it turned out our normal teacher was actually quite ill, so she taught us for about 2 months, I almost kept it up the whole time but eventually she talked to another teacher about me and I got in trouble. Ahh to be young.
Did your school have a strict policy against impressionists? I imagine that might make 19th century humanities a bit hard to cover.

Or do they just hate California?

mega48man

Mar 12, 2009
irish, scottish, and brittish (don't ask for what part of england, i have a very little and probably incorrect idea of how that works (it's from what city/part of england one comes from right?)) and i can do french, german if i practiced a little more, and russian. anything else would make me racist for sterotyping.

are we counting actors and characters as well? oh f**k yeah;
starscream and cobra commander, jack sparrow, sean connery (how i practice my scottish accent) master gibbs, probably most pirate characters i'm in love with those movies, and optimus prime.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Watching a lot of Russell Peters has taught me how to do a fantastic Indian accent. Oh and I'm the whitest guy you've ever seen, btw.

General Vagueness

Feb 24, 2009
half the time any accent I do turns into either a generic English accent or more likely a generic Middle Eastern accent-- I have no idea why

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
I can do a Delaware accent real well. But other than that I can only really do my own, I'm pretty inconsistent with most others.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Geordie and Irish but that's mostly because they aren't far off my own accent which is Cumbrian. I can also do a pretty awesome Valley Girl and Cowgirl.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
TheRealCJ said:
Er... My own?
Dammit. Beat me to the punch.

But seriously, while general accents I can't do, I can do fairly good impressions of Vin Diesel, Tychus, and Arnie.

Nechti_Visara

May 1, 2008
I can do the occasional British accent really well, though I couldn't tell you exactly which one I'm doing. I grew up with Monty Python and Eddie Izzard, so there's that, though, and I listen to a lot of the Arctic Monkeys.

I can also do indeterminate Slavic accent, and also something else that's kind of similar but even less determinate. I'm actually not sure what it is at all.

I don't have a ton in my repertoire, but the ones that I do have are really excellent. I once decided to speak in a British accent all day and a couple of girls I didn't know thought I was actually British.

ImmortalDrifter

Jan 6, 2011
I fake accented my way through Britian and Germany. Though Germany might not count because i was speaking German...

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
Lem0nade Inlay said:
Yokai said:
Lem0nade Inlay said:
African.

As in, the accent a black guy coming from Africa would have.
Ah, but which one? A guy from Mali sounds different from a guy from Kenya.
They do?
Well....to be honest I have no idea, but it's the only accent I can keep talking in for an extended period of time.

But I mean, I have no idea what region of Africa I would sound like.
Admittedly, it's not entirely obvious to a non-African, but seeing as a region as small as the UK has twenty-odd different accents and hundreds of variations on those, it's safe to say that the entire continent of Africa shares a fair amount of variation in accents.

What most people consider a generic African accent is, from what I can tell, mostly central west African, around Mali or Nigeria. Of course, I'm sure there's even more variation within that region, but I'll admit to not being able to tell the difference at that level either.