What annoys me about many sources of information is that it doesn't stop

OttoFriesen

Dec 10, 2023
Country
Germany
That there is always more information, here is a link and here another link and here another ebook and this newsletter and that course and this coaching and that paper.

You can't even start to assume, that you understood the field, and it could be as mundane as being present, if you didn't read at least those 80 other books, which again recommend yet 80 other books each.

This is the shitty attitude of 99% of all text written, instead of offering a solution for a problem that I can do now and that also works, there is always a barrage of fillers and clearly made up stories to bloat content. When printed, more and more trees die just to create books that nobody reads for good reason.

But they keep being produced.

You can be certain that any book that even mentions the word "bill gates", "steve jobs" or "elon musk" is full of shit and not worth your time.

To prevent those books from being sold, here is a recommendation of the books to not buy.

Some other books being well marketed that are full of fillers and useless information and that I recommend to not buy:

• Antifragile
  • Everything by Tim Ferriss
  • The One Percent Method
  • A Brief History of Time
  • Everything about meditation and mindfulness

Last edited:

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Erm, are you saying that the more you research something, the more you realise there is more research to be done?

Or are you saying that an unreasonable amount of research needs to be done to find out the answers to even simple questions with objective answers?

Or perhaps that there's lots of clickbait and rubbish pretending to be useful sources of information?

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
A Brief History of Time
is actually good.

Outdated a bit now because, well, it is from 1988 and about current science, but still good.

It is also popular science : explaining some concepts and ideas in a way that a layperson/school kid can grasp them. It is not a book you can read and suddenly be an expert in a field that usually requires a 5 year university course. Such books don't exist. If you want deep understanding, actual university course books might be better.

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Well, it seems like science is not giving you what you need. Consider religion instead.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
I think one of the most important functions of education, alongside encouraging people to cherish what they discover, should be to remind everyone how little they know and understand. I can't help but feel a lot of the world's ills derive from arrogance and overassumption.

Reactions: bluegate

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
So science bad, and now also reading.

We've had some dumb posters at the Escapist in the past, but this is definitely one of the dumbest.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
So science bad, and now also reading.

We've had some dumb posters at the Escapist in the past, but this is definitely one of the dumbest.
Pretty sure it really is a bot, seeing how it mostly drops elaborate opening posts but afterwards mostly uncommiting one-liners that might fit to whatever answer.

Aside from that : Nearly all the books it complains about (no, i didn't follow the link from what i believe is a bot) are some form of self-help or how-to-become-rich-and-successful books, not science books. And those are indeed mostly hot garbage.

Reactions: Zykon TheLich

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Pretty sure it really is a bot, seeing how it mostly drops elaborate opening posts but afterwards mostly uncommiting one-liners that might fit to whatever answer.
Not unlike some presumably human types we've had on the forum, though.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Not unlike some presumably human types we've had on the forum, though.
Yeah, sometimes it's pretty tough to determine whether or not a user is a bot. I've had a couple I was sure about that turn around and start making actual responses to people and displaying undeniable proof of sentience.

OttoFriesen

Dec 10, 2023
Country
Germany
I think one of the most important functions of education, alongside encouraging people to cherish what they discover, should be to remind everyone how little they know and understand. I can't help but feel a lot of the world's ills derive from arrogance and overassumption.
This statement is inherently subjective and philosophical. While the statement provides a perspective, it doesn’t offer concrete steps or solutions to address the issues it raises. The statement somewhat generalizes that many of the world’s problems stem from arrogance and overassumption, which might oversimplify complex issues that have multiple causes.