What Are Some Good Games That You Play While Listening To Something Else?

joest01

Apr 15, 2009
A big chunk of my gaming time is in the mornings when the family is asleep and I just got accustomed to playing with the sound off.

Exceptions are really just intense battles or bosses where I need the audio clues.

Edit: TS was asking actual game suggestions. But like I said I never really miss it. In Baynetta on higher difficulties the soundtrack helps get into the rhythm. Same thing with Rayman Origins. In Ninja Gaiden for some reason it helps me read the bosses. Strangely I never really missed the sound in Dark Souls 2.

Deadpool? I don't think I'd even play it without the jokes.

Fun fact: way back when I played Quake it gave you the option to insert any CD. Or maybe I just did. And then it would randomly play songs from it instead of the Trent Reznor soundtrack :)

BarryMcCociner

Feb 23, 2015
Oh, I've got an entire Steam category called "Podcast games" for JUST such an occasion.

Let me bring you up the list.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

Crusader Kings II.

The Binding of Isaac.

Elite Dangerous.

Euro Truck Simulator 2.

Kerbal Space Program.

Game Dev Tycoon.

The Sims.

Well, them's my recommendations. Running theme seems to be very story light games.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Whenever I have to grind and know that I don't advance the story for some time (I play a lot of JRPGs) I tend to listen to some YouTube shows that I used to watch on Blip.

Other than that... not really. I also realize that happens stricktly when playing JRPGs. I wouldn't dream of listening to anything else when playing a FPS or Adventures/western RPGs. For me, sound and music play a big part in my immersion. And playing almost only games that are story driven I need to listen to stuff to figure out what I need to do.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
I call these 'zen' games myself and they are the main games I play these days.
I like to play while watching webshows, listening to music or audiobooks.

Marvel Puzzle Quest
Hearthstone
Magic Duels
Trials Fusion
Civilization 5
Diablo 3 (any game in this genre)
Rogue Legacy (most rogue/rogue-lite games)

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
My favorite way to play the Burnout series was to listen to music. One album in particular made for great road music was the self-titled album by Audioslave. The only other time is maybe fighting games. I usually don't play them long enough to get tired of listening to the game.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
when i play Paradox games or Civilization games i tend to listen to podcasts/audiobooks and lately youtube videos that are just voice commentary.

I also used to watch movies while mining in Eve Online.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Aside from games on the computer I generally always play something in the background while listening to something else.
Often times it's a Let's Play since those tend to be 30-3 hours long. I especially like doing it in MH4U when lobbies take a while to DO ANYTHING.
It's starting to become a thing. I can't play games unless I have a video on.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
When I play Kerbal Space Program, I turn on the radio in my room so I have something interesting to listen to. My city has a pretty good 24 hour Jazz station so I have that playing in the background. KSP has a nice soundtrack, but it's only a handful of tracks and gets samey after a while.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Thanks to the to the ability to add custom tracks on the PC version, Metal Gear Solid V: TPP is a really good one especially if you are grinding for GMP and staff members or try to reach 100% completion. With it I can add tracks from other MGS games. Now if only I could find a way get the game to automatically play the alert phase from MGS3 when the enemy goes into combat mode.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Johnny Novgorod said:
The only thing I play while listening to anything other than the game's soundtrack is Minecraft.
Me too. Minecraft's background music is a little monotonous IMO; although I find the one in the Nether kinda creepy sometimes. I hear Minecraft parody songs instead.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
CaitSeith said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
The only thing I play while listening to anything other than the game's soundtrack is Minecraft.
Me too. Minecraft's background music is a little monotonous IMO; although I find the one in the Nether kinda creepy sometimes. I hear Minecraft parody songs instead.
I think it's kinda sad, to be honest. The Minecraft music. Definitely puts me in a sad mood.

aozgolo

Mar 15, 2011
I listened to all 14 audiobooks of The Wheel of Time (great fantasy series) while playing Minecraft and Final Fantasy Tactics.

Any game that doesn't require me to focus too heavily on the narrative, or one where I've experienced the narrative so much I can skip it works well. I enjoy multitasking like this actually, it feels like even though it's leisure time I am still getting a lot done.

Other games I can easily see myself doing this with:

Banished
Terraria
Gnomoria
Mount & Blade Warband