What are the bestest best PS2 games?

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I can't believe I haven't seen a mention of Katamari Damacy. One of the weirdest and laugh inducing game I've ever played. Simple and fun control scheme and just a great concept. It was the reason I got a ps2 and I wasn't disappointed. The sequel is even better.

Burnout Revenge - Watch some Crash Junctions on youtube and you'll understand why I consider this the best driving game ever created; unless you consider Katamari a driving game which you kind of could. I'm not even into driving games really but this I really got into. Besides the crash junctions, there are a bunch o other great modes.

GTA San Andreas - The biggest, most interactive, and fun open world you'll find on the ps2.

Maybe I am into driving games: all three of these games mostly involve driving.

Bug MuIdoon

Mar 28, 2013
Can't believe no one has mentioned Onimusha. It's a Capcom survival horror, a kin to Resident Evil, but set in Sengoku era Japan. With ninjas, horror/supernatural twists on Japan's important historical figures and loads of zombies/demons, puzzles and cool combat. Awesome game that I highly recommend you get!

The sequel is pretty decent too, but stay away from 3, it's terrible.

Other games that haven't been mentioned yet that need to be played:

Pyschonauts, Beyond good and Evil, Max Payne 1 and 2.

monkey_man

Jul 5, 2009
Jak 1/2/3
Ratchet and Clank 1/2/3
God of war 1/2
CELL DAMAGE OVERDRIVE
Darkwatch
These have been games I enjoy(ed)

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
The ones I enjoyed the most are:
Star Ocean: Till End of Time
Dragon Quest VIII
Persona 3
Kingdom Hearts 1&2

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
InfernalGrape said:
2) Killer7 - if you dig surreal movies like David Lynch's Mulholland Dr., Guy Ritchie's Revolver or David Cronenberg's Videodrome - this one if for you. Gameplay-wise it's mix of rail shooter and action-adventure. This game is not for everybody, and don't compare it to later Grasshopper games like Lollipop Chainsaw or Killer is Dead.
I *really* wouldn't recommend the PS2 port of Killer7...

I mean, the game's all there, but the loading times are horrible and it lags like a *****.

And trust me, you notice these things even without comparing it to the native Gamecube version.

Tends to be inexpensive to pick up for the PS2, though. It's still good, but those frustrations do make themselves known.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
The Wykydtron said:
Also Persona 3 FES but I don't want to talk about that lest I awaken my dormant hatred of the main character.
>you now realize he had apathy syndrome all along

OT: treat yourself, get Persona 3 FES, Persona 4, SMT3 Nocturne/Lucifer's Call, Metal Gear Solid 3 Substance and Timesplitters 3

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Only including games I played

Best Mecha
Zone of the Enders 2: The Second Runner
Runner up
Armored Core 2 and 3

Best RPG
Tales of the Abyss
Runner Up
Persona 4

Best Platformer
Jak and Daxter 2
Runner Up
Jak and Daxter 3

Best Stealth
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater/Subsistence
Runner up
Splinter Cell

Best Horror
Silent Hill 2
Runner Up
Silent Hill 4: The Room

Best Beat'em Up
Devil May Cry 3

Best Flight Arcade Sim
Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War
Runner Up
Ace Combat 4 and Zero

Best Racing
Burnout 3: Takedown

Best Third Person Shooter
Resident Evil 4
Runner Up
Star Wars Battlefront 2

Best FPS
Time Splinters 2 and 3
Runner Up
007: Agent Under Fire and 007: Night Fire

Best of the Best
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater/Subsistence
Runner Up
Tales of the Abyss

Omechron

Apr 15, 2009
If you like the oldschool menu driven stand-in-a-line and eskimo box JRPGs then the PS2 has some o' the best.

Final Fantasy X is one of my favorites. Yes it does have that one cringe-worthy forced laughing scene but other than that it's a great game with an amazing battle system that lets you switch characters at will so it doesn't feel like half your team mates are just sitting around.

Dragon Quest 8 is a great one especially if you like Toraiyama's art style. It doesn't do anything new or different but it does take the JRPG formula and polish it up to a mirror shine.

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 and 4 have a high school sim aspect which is tedious and pretty much requires use of a guide, but the rest of it is great fun.

Action RPGs you say?

Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2: Yes the concept of these games is insane. You won't care after you finish the annoying intro level and start the real games.

Dark Cloud 1 & 2: Fun weapon upgrading, fun world building, fun fun fun.

Rachet and Clank: Any of them including the much-maligned rachet deadlocked. crazy weapons, upgrades galore, great physics, funny story.

InfernalGrape

Jun 3, 2012
And trust me, you notice these things even without comparing it to the native Gamecube version.

Tends to be inexpensive to pick up for the PS2, though. It's still good, but those frustrations do make themselves known.
Honestly, yes, you're right. Loading times, less details here and there, etc.
Though i couldn't let myself not to mention it.

InfernalGrape

Jun 3, 2012
Sorry, i needed to say that i don't cover all genres. Platformers..Shmups..Fightings..
Wish i had smth to say about them too.

StormDragonZ

Dec 6, 2013
In no particular order:

- Sly Cooper series
- Jak & Daxter series
- Ratchet & Clank series
- Prince of Persia series

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
Limiting myself to what hasn't been mentioned yet:

Devil may cry 3. The story and characters are very much love it or hate it. But either way the gameplay is worth it, a paragon of the spectacle fighter genre.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Pat said:
I just bought a second hand Playstation 2 and I'm wondering what games to get. I'm a big fan of Silent Hill 2 and survival horror in general and I want to get Shadow of the Colossus.
Any suggestions for awesome ps2 games would be great! Cheers
I'm kind of in the same boat right now, having recently picked up a backwards comptatible PS3. So far the only think I've played is SotC(I got the ICO/SotC collection) but it's every bit as awesome as I've heard it was.

the_great_cessation

Nov 29, 2011
Shadow of the Colossus
Okami
Beyond Good and Evil
Psychonauts
Zone of the Enders II

Not only are they my three favorite PS2 games but they are also 3 of my favorite games of all time. With that said, if you have a PS3 I'd recommend getting the HD versions of SotC and BG&E over the originals.

I'd also recommend Shadow of Rome if you want to try something that is entertaining and different if not fairly flawed.

Funyahns

Sep 2, 2012
I will tell you a favorite of mine. Sakura Wars So Long My Love. It is like a dating simulator from Japan through a lot of the game. You have to build relationships with other people. Oh its also a Mech battle game!! The better you get along with other members in your crew the better they are at fighting!

Disgea is pretty awesome. It all depends on what game types you like